This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

When am I going to hear "Lola"?

Today was a stressful day. They've assigned Jim another scan on Thursday. He's going in so they can take a look at the area where he's experiencing all the abdominal pain. And we found out that his CEA level is elevated. We're not too riled about that, because an elevated CEA can mean a lot of things, especially after a surgery. It could be that the cryoablation is wreaking havoc on the tumors, and sending nonsense into his bloodstream. Who knows.

We also went to see the therapist together today since we got this news about the scan and the CEA level. That went well. I can see why Jim likes her. She's very soothing. Although I have no idea what Jim talks to her about for an entire hour. It seemed like she was pulling teeth to get him to talk. He prodded me to do a lot of talking. I couldn't tell if he thought it would benefit me to talk, or if he just didn't have much to say. In any case, it was a successful visit and I think she's doing Jim a lot of good.

And, good news: the infra-red light therapy already seems to be having a positive effect on Jim's feet. We're waiting for more conclusive results, but he said that his feet already feel different. If this light therapy works for Jim, the Physical Therapy Department is going to be absolutely flooded with patients from the Vince.

Through all this, one of the things that goes through my mind is "When am I going to hear Lola?" Lola, by the Kinks. Since college, Lola is my lucky song. I almost never hear it, but when I do, I know something HUGE is going to happen - something positive. The last two times I've heard Lola, I've been pregnant with our kids. I never once heard Lola in between the kids, and I haven't heard it since I got pregnant with Jake. The whole time we tried to get pregnant with Jake, which was over a year, I never heard Lola. I finally heard Lola, and ta-da! Baby on the way. There is a rule to my superstition, of course. I can't cheat and play Lola or request it on the radio (does anyone do that anymore?), but I can listen to anything else by the Kinks.

I know it's a silly superstition, but I can't help but tuning in to listen once in a while when I'm in the car alone. Before each scan I hope and pray that I'm going to hear Lola. Before each visit or surgery I hope that I'll hear Lola. And nothing's happened yet. YET. So what I'm thinking is going to happen is that I'm going to hear Lola just before my favorite words, "No Evidence of Disease". The day I hear Lola (or No Evidence of Disease, whichever comes first) will be a huge party.

The day I hear Lola we get to book our tickets to Hawaii. Jim gets a pot rack. I will massage his feet for the rest of his life. (Ew.) And we will hear "No Evidence of Disease". It's a lot to pin on a song that has completely inappropriate lyrics for the backdrop of our lives, but hey, superstitions don't have to be logical, do they?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

I think I'd even like a little "Come Dancin'" right now to tide us over until that "Lola" moment. I guess it doesn't count if your sister-in-law calls you up and sings it. Darn those superstition rules. :-)

I'm so glad the light therapy is showing signs of working for Jim. It's wonderful that Ken was placed in your life, and he had a potential answer to this side affect.

Love to you all! Judi

3:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I love that song too. Of course it doesn't hold as much meaning for me, but still. If I could attach it to this comment and believe that would be good enough, I would. (As it turns out, I'm just as superstitious as you - I won't touch a PG stick with a ten foot pole!!!!)

So, I'm glad things are OK. Sometimes that's all you can ask for, and all that you need.

Kate, I think about you and your family every day. I totally admire your courage and honesty on the blog. Like I said before, I check every day, sometimes twice, for a new entry.

We should get together with Koontail and Bobber soon. I just cooked our first fresh fish of the season - It really lifted my spirits. Delicious!

Take care of yourself.

Love, Artemis

12:58 AM

 
Blogger The Oakleys said...

Lola is a great song (and happens to have been my grandma's first name.) I know that deep in my heart that you will hear the song very soon. Hopefully, this is just a situation where things are getting a bit worse before they get significantly better. I am sending a BIG HUG to you guys.
Love ya, Steph

9:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate
I have to share this with you. I read the blog then went to the gym plugged in to my usual radio station got static which never happens so tuned in to another station and they started playing "Lola" by the Kinks. I know it is not the same as you hearing it but I am sure there is a "Lola" for you soon! I can't help but wonder about this chain of events for me to hear "Lola."
Love to all, Mom

2:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home