This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Doing things for me

So when I posted my epiphany blog on August 17, I guess I didn't realize how much I was effected by the revelations of that day until a little later. I decided that it's time to do some things for me. I came up with two biggies.

1. I joined a gym. With babysitting. It's a really nice gym. I resisted joining in the past because I felt like I should be working out/be a member at the YMCA for my kids. But Rachel is at school full time now, and two years ago Jake got norovirus while he was in babysitting there. (I can't prove it, but I swear it's true.) Any babysitting is yuck, but the Y really pushes my limits. Anyway, this babysitting is much nicer. Also, I am freaked out by working out in Kohler. Because:
a. I really want to just work out. I don't like to stand there and chit-chat while I'm all sweaty and miserable. And,
b. I'm filled with dread at the notion of pretty much everyone I know seeing me work out, all sweaty and miserable. And 80% of the Village of Kohler belongs to this gym. And about 50% of Sheboygan.

I tried walking/running outside with Jake, but he can only make it around 2 miles before he starts to melt down. I was miserable walking him and it finally got to the point where I was just avoiding the walks altogether.

So far I've lost 4 lbs. Since September 5. Not too bad. Enough to make me keep going! And although it's a drawback that I know a lot of people there, it can also be an advantage in that if I stop going eventually people will say to me "Hey, I haven't seen you at Sports Core lately...?" Guilt. Great motivation. And, my friend Lisa gave me great advice..."If you don't want to chat, just keep your iPod on the whole time." So far, so good.
I've felt selfish leaving Jake in babysitting in the past. I don't feel that way anymore. Something lit the lightbulb in my head and I got it. He seems to have a lot of fun at this babysitting, which helps my psyche and my guilt a lot. He marches right in there with his little Diego backpack and he's ready to rumble.


2. I bought a car. On eBay. It's a 1979 VW Beetle Convertible. Here's a pic!


It might sound rash (because I haven't mentioned it to many people - see paragraph below on why), but in reality I've been doing research for more than a month. Did you know that eBay is the #1 car dealer in the country? And that they sell more cars before 9:00am than the average dealership sells in a year? And typically the cars are exactly as described on eBay, because the sellers need to keep up their feedback rating so that others will buy from them. And eBay has a $50,000 Buyers Protection Program. So if something is vastly wrong with the car and it poops out in the next 30 days, I will be refunded the money.

A 1979 Beetle gets about 25 miles to the gallon. Do you know what I'm driving now? A Chevy Tahoe that gets around 16 miles to the gallon. But I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. I bought it for me. For fun.

I know what's coming on Wednesday. And if I'm going to meltdown all day (hopefully I'll be okay, but there's bound to be tears shed at some point) then I'll be darned, I'm going to drive around crying in a fun car.

Before you say it, I'll address it - the reason I haven't told anyone is because I just don't want to hear it. No one ever asks a man who buys an old car how they're going to take care of it or what they'll do if it breaks down. I'm not going to be driving this thing cross country. I live in Sheboygan, people. If it breaks down I can walk home. And truthfully? I don't leave Kohler four days out of seven. So then no matter where I might break down in Kohler, it's a half mile home. Maybe .75 if I get crazy and drive over to the "south side" of Kohler

I've always had a thing for cars. I guess it started with my first car - a convertible Cavalier - we named him Jerry. I have relationships with my cars. For some people, a car is for getting from Point A to Point B. (I'm looking at you, Judi!) For me, a car is like another home. It's a reflection of my personality. (It doesn't have to be a status car, but it does have to be a good color - take into consideration my poop-brown Chevy Cavalier that I disliked immensely.) It's someplace I can go to be alone. Or to listen to my music - loud. I've always considered driving a privilege. I take care of my cars (except the interior of the Tahoe, which always seems to be littered with Goldfish crumbs. Or worse). And I really enjoy driving them.

A VW wasn't my first choice. My first choice was a 1969 Camaro - black. But this one? It's already at $24,000. And they can get really pricey. This one would be cheap. Jim was so excited when I told him I wanted a Camaro. And then we started looking at them. Jim nearly fell over when he saw the prices and told me to forget it. He also found it very humorous that I wanted a Camaro. He used to tease me and say "Kate, a Camaro isn't going to make you a bad a$#." I know. Sort of. But maybe it would. And wouldn't it be fun to be a bad a$#? A VW Beetle? Does not project bad a$#. Maybe it's a good thing. Because I could see me really getting into the speed of a Camaro. I'm guessing the Beetle doesn't go really fast. It probably goes 0-60 in about 5 minutes. But it's so cute!

The thing is that Jim and I have talked about a fun car for years. He nearly cried when my folks sold the Fiat I was driving. (It was their car, on loan to me permanently for around 2 years.) And at the beginning of August I found a book in the basement that Jim must have bought years ago - "How to Rebuild Your VW Engine". That sort of kicked off me thinking about it. And then I saw one while Up North and I knew that's what I wanted to do for myself.

I wrestled for a long time with how I would feel driving the car without Jim. After all, it was one of our plans together. But I shot sporting clays this summer without him and although I was sad, it felt really good. I wrestled with whether or not people would think I'm grieving "enough" or the "right way" if I got the car before a year was up. But then I decided that it's sort of like what people say about having a baby - "there's never a perfect moment". Will the car make me less sad? Nope. Will I grieve less? Nope. I'll just be driving in a car that's fun for me. And if I could let the grief go for the daily 10 minutes I buzz around Kohler with the top down, then wouldn't that be a good thing?

Wednesday is coming and I feel sad in my heart. I miss him something terrible. I've eaten my way through the summer in grief. And I don't want to be a fattie driving around in my VW. So I'm going to drive my new car over to my new gym and work out. And that's that.

17 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I have only three words: Good. For. You.

10:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hugs to you- jane

11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that car!!! I think it is bad a@$!!! I will be thinking of you Wednesday (and of course everyday) and praying for you all! I miss Jimmy something awful too....you're doing great Kate...Love you...Jeri

12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl. I LOVE the car. That is my dream car and I am so happy that you have it because it is just such a joyful car. Play your music loud and keep on moving forward.

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Candace said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Candace said...

Again, our commonality is crazy. I'm tellin' ya! My first few years of collegeI drove a white cavalier. I currently drive a white Tahoe-yeah, dat me with the IL plates driving around town. Not too long ago, Mark bought a 69 Camaro, orange. But I was all "why do you get all toys?!" (he had bought a boat the summer before, in one weekend it was a done deal. I didn't really have much say in it either). I have always wanted an orange VW Bug! So then we looked into new and old ones. I couldn't see the need for it, though. So, he just decided to buy that Camaro. I rode in it like once. When Mark lost his job, we sold it. I think he owned that car for a few months. We are car people. I can tell the make and model usually by just hearing it. Mark has worked in automotive for twenty years. He used to change cars like people change their underwear. That all stopped when our lives changed and we moved here. The cars that is... we still change the underwear. lol ;) There's nothing better than cruising with the radio on and the wind in your hair. About Wednesday, I sure wish I knew the right thing to say. Just know that I will be thinking about you and saying prayers for the family.

1:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
Many many safe and happy miles in your car.

God bless!
You are still in my thoughts.

R

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

kate - i'm going out on a limb to comment not on the car or your gym (though of course i'm happy you did these things for you). you are a great writer, and your blog has always been truly interesting to read. you tell a great story and i never scan or rush through like on other blogs. hope you keep this up - i'm a fan.

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you hear Lola while you're driving cause it's pretty clear to me you're a very strong woman and you're going to be "ok", whatever that means.

2:49 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I'm quoting your niece..."Why did she buy a VW bug!!???" I think you just lost your cool factor...too bad you didn't get bad a$$. ;-)

5:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on comment number one and on Stefany's! I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Especially on Wed.

Stacy
in Richmond

6:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband bought his 'dream car' - a '73 Beetle on Ebay a few years back - you will be amazed how many smiles come your way when you're driving it. Old Beetles are definately 'Happy Cars"! :-)

Keeping you & your family in my prayers.

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Your bug really is just the cutest! I have a soft-spot for VWs. My first boyfriend's family had a bug and a bus. "Back-in-the-day," when you couldn't buy them in the US because of emissions laws, he and I briefly thought of getting one from Mexico. Okay, it was his idea because I'm a "point A to point B person," but I happily went along with the idea. :-) Plus I LOVED the Herbie the Love Bug movies when I was a kid. Davey, Jeri, Jimmy and I couldn't wait to go see them when each one came out.

You'll get a ton of enjoyment out of it, and you'll probably be a little sad too enjoying it without Jim, but that's okay.

Don't worry about what people say - I've found that people who judge your grief, most often than not, have never had to go through it themselves.

And as Volkswagen said "Think Small!"

Love - Jude

8:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, what a great choice!!! However it has made me sad as I have just traded my very cool bright yellow bug in for a very boring,gray SUV! Believe me, you will always feel happy and different than all the other drivers when you toot around town, everyone in the community knew exatly where I was when i went anywhere. It was bright and sunny and happy, it was ME! I did want a convertible but when I got mine, they were not out yet. Then when they came out, none were a cool enough color.
Oh, and another thing, Craig just GAVE away an 86 camero! If he only knew you wanted one. Had not been driven in years but had potential, maybe...
Enjoy very minute with it, you'll be the "talk of the town"! Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway?

10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog, I realized how important it was to pick that car up today. I'm so sorry, but we'll make it "right"

Mike Rothenberg

11:42 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten said...

haha that beetle...
di you get my pic txt w/ the red camaro?
i saw it and my mind instantly shot right back to you :]

10:08 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten said...

&& as long as you like the VW you haven't lost your cool factor despite what my mom says.
BUT if you'd gotten the camaro i wouldn't deny you'd go up a couple of points :p
haha

p.s.
my favorite's still the JEEP.


i love you. <3

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home