This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hope Prevails

December 3, 2006

Well after a bit of a tough week, we recovered and rested over the weekend. Well, at least we recovered.

Today was a total renewal of spirit for two reasons:
1. I went to church alone with the kids
2. Jim went to the Jets/Packers game - and the Jets WON!!!

Today was the first time since I was 12 years old that I've ever stepped into a church completely of my own free will. In the past 11 years I've gone on occasion because I wanted to support Jim. Our pastor is currently doing a series called "The Lord our Healer", which is obviously something that is very important to me, and to Jim. However; a higher power called Jim this week in the form of tickets to the Packers game from his friend Jay. A group of guys left for Lambeau Field at 6:30 this morning. Yikes. That's dedication.

I could have easily backed out of church today. I had a plethora of reasons - Jim wasn't going to be there, it's *really* cold in Wisconsin right now, the kids were/are tired, and so am I. But truthfully I never really gave it a second thought - I wanted to hear the end of the series. With or without Jim. So off we marched - and I'm glad I went. The end of the series focused on Living in Divine Health with four factors affecting health: attitude, nutrition, hygiene, and exercise. One of the quotes in today's bulletin was:
"Your salvation and relationship with God isn't dependent on your diet - but your quality of life is."
I thought it was a wonderful sermon. It made me feel good about making the choice to change our diet (maybe I won't wince when I buy organic milk from now on...), but also about some of the choices we're making now or have made in the past regarding attitude and exercise. (I'd like to think hygiene was never an issue!) :) It reinforced the thought that pushed us to change our diet - are we going to keep on doing what we're doing and keep on getting what we're getting, or are we going to make changes and expect a different outcome?

We had a lovely time with some of our new friends from church last night. They hosted a pizza party...all the kids played in the basement, the guys made gourmet pizzas (on whole wheat crust no less!) and the girls chatted and drank wine. It was probably the best time I've had since Jim's diagnosis. I never once worried about how my kids were doing, whether I had to update anyone on Jim's progress, or think about anything except happy chit-chat and wine. (Although there was some pressure for me to sing. Once they found out about my musical stylings with "The Sound of Music" they were very curious to see if, in fact, my horrid voice could clear a room.)

These friends from church are a perfect example of changes we've made and how those changes effect our lives. I have rarely encountered people that I thought were put in our path for a purpose. It seems that this entire group of people were put in our path - in the right place at the right time. It started with one couple and has gradually expanded out to include 3 more. (Plus a fourth that we're still on the cusp of getting to know.) It almost seems as if they were plopped into our laps to help us with this entire scenario - each for their own attributes. These people are leading good lives. They are friendly and welcoming, they don't talk about other people, they are great with their kids...they have faith in each other, their friendships, and in the fact that Jim can beat this cancer. They are committed to their faith and to their marriages. Being with them is the best feeling. As I looked around last night, and sat with them in church this morning, I realized that this is the truest extension of how I will ever exhibit my faith. I am thankful for these friends, for being in Sheboygan (okay, I never thought I'd say that!), for being with people who care about Jim, me and our kids, and for the opportunity to make the best of a poopy situation. I'm thankful for every new day with Jim. And for the recognition that even if I've never found a match in a church before, I am now in the right place at the right time. When did I get this sentimental?

And do you know what the strange thing is? In December of last year, I said to one of the girls in the group, Susan - "Hey - do you go to a good church? We're looking for one because we think it would be good for Rachel." How ODD. I have never once in my life asked anyone about their church, let alone mentioned that we needed to go.

And the Jets won. Jim is very excited - he got to see Brett Favre play at Lambeau Field, but his favorite team won. His neuropathy didn't bother him during the game. He had a great time and he even bought himself a Packers sweatshirt. He had a good weekend, and that makes us all happy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Kate...that's really nice. I think at a certain point in life you really begin to think about spirituality and what a profound impact it has on life in general. I've been doing a lot of thinking about it myself recently (if you've read my blog, you know all about it) and though I'm not quite ready to make that first step accross the threshold of a church, I am making progress.

I'm very glad that you and Jim have found a place where you feel welcome and comfortable, and fulfilled. That's not always easy. I have to wonder if it's a difference in the religious culture that's made it easier for you? You know what I mean...Southern religion is just so, overt, pervasive...in your face. I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with religion here. Just one more reason why I hope we can get back up there soon.

Anyway...sorry for rambling. I'm really very happy for all of you. It sounds like leaving the metro area has been a really good move for you.

9:38 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I'm so glad you found your new church. It sounds very similar to what Jim and I had growing up in John Calvin. It had a great influence on how I turned out as an adult and I miss it. I haven't found a church home like that as an adult. I've attended our local church in great spurts - even teaching Sunday School for 5 years when Kirsten was little - but it just never felt like what I was searching for. Perhaps the difference is family - it's always been just me or just me and one of the kids. I look forward to going with you on Sunday!

Love - Jude

5:54 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Hey Kate - I just read how to solve your "I can't sing" dilemma with your friends. Play guitar... This is from Time:

Wanna be a rock star? Fake it.
For many people, rock-'n-roll ambitions are stifled by a lack of, well, talent. Don't let that stop you anymore. To wit: Australian scientist Richard Helmer recently developed an air-guitar T shirt with built-in motion sensors that detect arm movements and turn then into audible riffs. ... So slap on those leather pants and get ready to become the next platinum performer - at least in your imagination.


Perhaps with your new found talent, you can create some soothing music for Jim to destress to! ;-)

8:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So these three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Reading your post made me think of this verse. I see all three in both of you, and know it will serve you well.

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home