This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Friday, May 11, 2007

The Sound of Silence

Do you know what I'm doing right now? Eating sunflower seeds, drinking a Diet Coke, and listening to the Grateful Dead. Do you know why? Because I can. There's no one here asking me why we can't listen to Raffi. No one staring thirstily at my Diet Coke. No one telling me that sunflower seeds are gross. I am alone.

Jim left with the kids this afternoon to drive up to my parents' cabin. As I buckled the kids into the car, I realized that I was incredibly sad, and incredibly happy that they were all leaving. Mostly I was nervous about Jim making a four hour drive alone with the kids. If all goes well, they can make the drive in about 4 1/2 hours. If things don't go well, it could take a lot longer. I've had rides with Jake that totaled almost six hours. If that happens to Jim, I'd be so upset. He was concerned about driving that far because of his back.

I called him a few minutes ago and they're already half way there. No freak-outs from the back seat yet. He was even feeling optimistic enough to push past the half way mark before stopping. Amazing. It's amazing what the call of the North can do. It's a very relaxing atmosphere up there. My parents have the unique ability to pamper their guests in all sorts of ways, including a ridiculously big bowl filled with M&Ms, fluffy comforters, cookies that are as big as cakes, Adirondack chairs, gourmet dinners, fresh air and quiet forestland, endless hot water for showers and baths, and movies galore. I just find it humorous that we spend more than 4 hours driving, hunched over the steering wheel and listening to "Barney's Musical Scrapbook" over and over again, so that we can decompress.

I'm going out with some girls tonight to a new bar in "downtown" Sheboygan that is smoke-free and serves really fruity drinks with umbrellas in them. Yippee. And then, guess what? I get to sleep in as late as I want tomorrow.

I might just crack open a Diet Coke for breakfast. Because I can.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Comers said...

so, so jealous and i don't even have all the challenges that y'all face daily. have a great day (and night) and enjoy the glorious silence....and that DC for breakfast.

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Go for it ,girl!

8:17 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I totally, 100%, relate to I realized that I was incredibly sad, and incredibly happy that they were all leaving. I have been there so many times. I can't wait for the kids to leave so I can have 5 minutes peace, then as soon as they are gone, I realize it's way too quiet in the house!

I gave Rachel a book called Ten In The Bed, where the little boy pushes all nine of his stuffed animals out of the bed one at a time. He is just so pleased with himself, but as soon as they are all gone he realizes he misses them and wants them to come back! So they all come back and jump back in bed with him. Such is the life of a Mom - you'll be pleased as punch to get that little "MOMMY!
scream as soon as they pull in the driveway and the big hug that goes along with it - perfectly placed on Mother's Day! Enjoyed after a long weekend of the sound of silence.

Love - Jude

9:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home