This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Celebrating Jim

Here we are on the 17th. I can't believe it's been a year. It's been the longest year and the shortest year of my life. (Although I said that during his year of treatment, so it's a toss up.) Leaning more toward the long side. It was a rough road without Jim.

When I started the day, I intended to be totally positive. But you know what got to me? Wal-Mart. We were out of some staples and I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up milk, juice, etc. I sat in the car for a minute and watched the people go in and out at 8:15am - busy as can be.

Don't these people know what day it is?

On this day last year, we lost the person I loved most in the world. On this day last year, his parents felt the dull roar in their hearts that continues to this day. On this day last year, we lost a daddy, a son-in-law, a brother, a brother-in-law, an uncle, a friend.

On this day last year I was stricken with grief for the life lost, and relief for my dear husband who struggled through a year of intensive treatment.

This day last year did not sum up the whole of Jim's life. It was a fleeting moment in his existence that was a life magnanimous.

Today although we mourned the loss of Jim, we also chose to celebrate his life. We did a balloon release with a bunch of Rachel's little friends from school. It was wonderful. Brief - but wonderful. I didn't think I could handle a long party with 30 kids running around, so we shortened it down to 45 minutes. That was plenty long! The kids played on the swingset and in the neighbors yard, they ran around, colored pictures and tied them to balloons. We let the balloons go around 4:00. It was beautiful.

The kids might not know exactly what this day means. The people that shopped at Wal-Mart, went to work, or took a vacation today didn't know what this day meant. Life goes on and moves forward. We are moving with it. For some of us, the day was a little slower today. Not every moment was crystal clear in our minds. We felt sickened with sadness and grief, knowing that a full year has passed after we lost someone we love. Gradually our lives will pick up. We'll move at the same pace as the current life that everyone else is living. But for today, we were destined to drift - to float like a balloon.

Rachel's balloon release was just the thing for today. A celebration of Jim, sending notes to heaven to tell him we love him. I believe we'll drift for a while, but eventually life will pull us back.

Miss you, Lambchop.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Kate-
What a special way to commemorate the day. I thought about Jim and all of his family a lot yesterday. It seems like so long ago that we got that awful news. Jim's life was a wonderful life cut way too short. But how lucky he was to have packed so much in while he was here. His life touched so many and continues to through you. I will continue to send you prayers and happy thoughts.


Christine Gardner

8:29 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten said...

hey aunt kate-

i find myself in need of funny stories of uncle jim for my speech & debate class; we have to write a euglogy, and i plan on talking about uncle jim.
it'd mean a lot if you could share a few funny stories that i could share with my class :)

i love you! give rachel and jake hugs & kisses for me
-kirsten ♥

10:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Celebrating Jim" is the best way to describe the whole year and every year from now on....he was and always will be the best friend I've ever had...the strongest, smartest,kindest,most helpful,happiest person I have ever known. We are all so lucky to have been a part of Jimmys life!!! I miss you Jimmy...so much!!! Jeri

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Thinking of Jim today, and you and the kids too.

5:33 AM

 
Blogger The Pruntys said...

Kathleen,

What a great way to commemorate the day. We've been thinking about you and the family. Hope you are all doing well.

Lots of Love,
The Pruntys

7:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home