This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Suzy

So, today is a great day for this post. You know something weird? I've been contemplating this post for a while. Today is Suzy's birthday - it's the perfect day for it.

One of my very best friends is Susan. I personally think that Susan has meticulous taste in friends, because...I'm one of her friends. And I like the crowd that Susan runs with here in Kohler because...I'm part of that crowd. But also because I got to meet one of Susan's best friends who lives in Oregon. That's Suzy. It seems odd that I would write about Susan's friend Suzy, doesn't it? Susan used to live out in California, and Suzy is a friend from way back in the day. (Along with Marie, who I haven't had a chance to meet yet, but you'd better believe I'm going to push for it!)

In any case, I met Suzy this spring when she came out to visit Susan. I liked Suzy immediately. This is one hell of a competent woman. She's sharp as a tack, but relaxed at the same time. Suzy's words are carefully chosen. She can talk to anyone. She's got the reflexes and drive of a Type A personality. ...But there's something different. She doesn't come off as Type A. There's nothing about Suzy that would make anyone feel rushed or jumpy. You know what it is? It seems like a lack of judgment on others. She's just...good. (For the record, I can see where she and Susan are good friends. Susan is that way as well.)

When I got to meet Suzy, we had an interesting talk about Oregon. She nailed me from the minute she met me and told me (in a very gentle way) that she didn't think Ashland was exactly my speed. And she just flat out told me she didn't think I'd like Medford. She was right. At the end of my trip to Oregon, I spent an evening out with Suzy. She gave me a little tour of Portland and brought me to a fabulous wine bar that looked out over the city. My goodness we had fun.

To tell you what a mark Suzy had on me, when I mentioned that I was dating furiously, etc. we had a nice talk about it. And then she said "You should start dating John! I love John!" This was AFTER texting with him the whole vacation and AFTER my brother teased me and I realized I might like John as more than a friend. I was so stunned that I stammered out "I...I don't know. I don't know what's going on with that. We're just friends. ...And I don't know what Susan would think of that." Suzy wasn't buying that. Bear in mind, please, that this is my second time ever seeing Suzy. And she said "Kate, I'm sure Susan (her friend, John's sister) is going to be mature enough to handle it." So Suzy had a distinct hand in putting John and I together as well. The first time I posted a picture of John on Facebook, my phone rang not 30 minutes later...an Oregon area code. I laughed until tears came out of my eyes and we had a great talk.

Some people come into our lives for a lifetime, some for a season, a week, or a day. I am blessed to know Suzy through my good friend Susan. I am delighted that Susan has such awesome friends and that she's got a support network spread out across the country. Suzy has impacted my life in profound ways after meeting *twice*.

You're good people, Suzy. I'm honored to know you. Have a very happy birthday today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home