This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

January 11, 2007 - Acupuncture - Nausea relief is NOT just a needle away


Well, we tried. During one of Jim's worst days I made an appointment for him with an acupuncturist. Jim was so weak and sick that he actually agreed to go. I'd read an article that said that acupuncture could be as effective as one of the most popular anti-nausea drugs. Maybe over time. But we're here to tell ya, there's no immediate relief.

It was a 2 hour appointment, so I thought "Great! 2 hours of relaxing and working on the nausea - this is perfect!" Actually, it was 1 1/2 hours of the acupuncturist blathering on about himself and trying to sell Jim bottled magic mushrooms. He only got 1/2 hour of actual acupuncture. I was really upset when I heard that. Poor Jim had to sit there, sick as a dog, listening to Mr. Ponytail Guy talk about himself. Uh, okay. Perhaps Mr. Ponytail Guy chould have assessed the situation and just chopped the appointment down a bit.

Jim got no relief for his symptoms. The humorous thing is that the guy asked him "Do you feel any different?" When Jim responded in the negative, Mr. Ponytail said "Well, let me know how you feel after a few days." In a few days?! In a few days the chemo will be winding down anyway, buddy. He'll be feeling fine.

I guess the important thing is that we tried it. Now we know. I imagine that acupuncture really works when you use it consistently. However we were very disappointed to find that it doesn't work right away.

Jim felt better by Sunday. Pastor Kirby did a nice prayer for us, and I think Jim really felt better after that. It was a relief to see Pastor Kirby and have the prayer after Jim's long week. Also on the healing plate: Jim had Tai Chi on Tuesday. I know he really enjoyed that. Seeing Dr. Haid is a very soothing experience for Jim, whether it be at the Vince or at Tai Chi.

There were a lot of factors that went into Jim's nausea this last week. The low after coming off Christmas. The realization that everyday life with cancer had to begin again. Not eating and drinking quite properly before, during, and after chemo. Figuring out what to do about New York. And finding out that now we only get to see Dr. Haid once a month instead of on every visit. Experimenting with his Compazine (one of his anti-nausea drugs - he doesn't like it because it makes his chest feel funny). I think the extra nausea was the culmination of a series of events that snowballed into sickness.

Also, ever the optimist, Jim believes that he's the guy that won't get sick from the chemo. I'm not sure why, but his expectation is that he won't feel anything at all. He gets annoyed with fatigue. He's disappointed when he gets sick. When I asked him WHY he thought he wouldn't get sick, he paused for a moment, looked right at me, and said "Because I'm me." And that's the very reason he will beat it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I'm so sorry accupunture didn't work. Jim was just so miserable, you're willing to almost try anything to get it to stop. Maybe those things work for some people and not others. Mark is convinced that if he gets a headache and pinches the web of his hand between the thumb and forefinger it helps the pain. Like Jim with accupunture, I'm here to tell ya - it doesn't work!

I laughed really hard when I read the final few sentences of the post. Both at his response - because it is just so Jim and because you're right - that's exactly why he's going to beat it.

He's got a couple weeks now back at home in his normal routine, Tai Chi plus Pastor Kirby's prayers with him now - hopefully the next treatment won't be so rough.

Love to all - Jude

1:24 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Just stopping by to let you know that we are still thinking of you. I hate that we didn't get to see you guys when we were in WI.

I used to recommend ginger to my expectant moms for nausea and it really seems to work. My sister uses it for sever motion sickness and swears by it. You can get ginger capsules at the health food store and even ginger tea or ginger ale will help.

I know they are doing a study on the effects of ginger when taken by cancer patients at the University of Michigan Cancer center. There must be *something* to it, then, right?

Love to all of you and hoping Jim gets some relief soon.

Christina

2:04 PM

 
Blogger French said...

Sorry to hear about the bad week. It is great they way you focus on the positives to end week on better note.

You hit the nail on the head describing Jim's positive attitude and confidence. Made me laugh.

I have also heard ginger is good as aroma-therapy. Mint, especially peppermint, is also suppose to be good. Melissa swear by her peppermint tea. Of cource if you don't feel well, sometimes any strong smell is bad.

11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home