This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

In and Out

Jim's doing fairly well through this cycle. We've made a few changes, and I think they are helping.
  • He started taking the Compazine (anti-nausea that makes his chest feel funny) again
  • He's more active this time (although he did beg out of mall walking the other day...I wonder why?)
  • He's drinking lots of Gatorade, which seems to be the only liquid he's capable of drinking right now. He's choking down water with lemon, but it's a difficult task
  • He's looking forward to going to Mexico next week
I personally think the biggest healing factor in that list is the trip to Mexico. But, he's also doing his Tai Chi. His Aunt Cheryl gave him a Tai Chi DVD for Christmas, and he likes that. So he can karate chop in slow motion even when Dr. Haid isn't around.

He's still sick, but this isn't like the last two rounds. He's got waves of nausea this time, and nothing seems to taste good. He rated the waves of nausea at up to a level 4, but not all the time. And he hasn't gotten physically sick. I think that getting physically sick is the worst for Jim. In the past 11 years, I've seen him throw up ONCE. (And that was from yucky store-bought cookie dough that he ate raw.) Until cancer. Since the cancer he's thrown up more times than we both care to count.

His description of the nausea was interesting: "You know how it feels when you burn your tongue? Well, imagine that the entire surface area of your tongue is burned, and then try eating. It doesn't taste right." It's not the same kind of nausea that we're used to when we have a stomach virus - it's different.

Oops. Jake is crying. He's up from his minuscule nap. Sometimes I think "nap time" is a cruel joke that Jake likes to play. He makes me think he's going to sleep like a normal baby, but he fools me every time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me every day, shame on me. Is it foolishness, or blind hope that he'll sleep more than 35 minutes? A girl can dream.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi and Papa said...

It's amazing how kids will "push you to the limit", "try your patience" till you think the end is near or "they will never live to see their teen years, I'm gonna kill them". BUT then all of a sudden a lite shines and everything is pure joy. These "lites" far outweigh everything else and you find it hard to "remember" anything negative they ever did.
I'm glad that Jim is able find something that he can drink without difficulty. He knows, you know and we all know that he has to maintain his liquid intake to prevent dehydration. He is strong and stubborn ("like me") and will fight these setbacks.
Love to all
Papa

11:57 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Papa -

I'm sure you aren't speaking from experience. James Robert and I were angels as children...and not the headless kind!

Judith Ann

5:33 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I just read everything you've posted, needless to say through tears and laughter. You guys have such a great support system and so much faith, you WILL pull though this thing. Know that I've been thinking of you and praying for you. I know you guys have been busy, but let me know if you're In the area sledding or mall walking (I started that too) or if you want a playgroup with me and my girls. You're in my thoughts. Have fun in Mexico - Enjoy the warmth!!!and bring some back if you can. Oh, And bring some bottled water with you!!!!! Take Care.
Lisa-RN at Memorial

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home