This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, March 04, 2007

I'm going to go churchy on you...

Okay, for those of you who know my background...don't pass out. I'm about to post something from The Bible.

"I promise that when any two of you on earth agree about something you are praying for, my Father in heaven will do it for you." - Matthew 18:19 (CEV)

Sometimes when we're sitting in church, I swear it seems like Pastor Kirby is looking right at me.

Sometimes I feel nervous (and not a little paranoid) "Is he looking at me? I wasn't that bad this week. I believe in Jesus. Why is he looking at me?";
Sometimes I feel glad "Oh, he watches LOST! Cool!";
Sometimes I feel there's a ray of light beaming on me and Jim "Wow! This applies directly to me. To us. To our lives. To returning Jim to whole health."

Today I got that beam. When I read the bulletin and this quote was in it, we both got the beam. Jim pointed the quote out right away.

Some days there's just something different at church. I can't say what it is. Today was one of those days. After church we had brunch at our friends Amy and Mark's, and something was different there. Jim ate 3 of Amy's delicious scones, so the something different could possibly have been a stomach ache. Kidding.

But it's lead me to wonder if the something different isn't a feeling of connectedness. A feeling that through this church we've become part of something much greater than ourselves. And through that, we have so many people (blog readers included) who have a common prayer. For Jim's complete healing and health. I believe that as we say prayers for Jim, so God will hear them. It seems that we're almost hooked up to an amplifier some days.

So, think of me, next Sunday, sitting in church, wondering why Pastor Kirby is looking at me. Maybe he's like the Mona Lisa...maybe everyone thinks he's looking at them. But in the bigger picture, I'm so glad that what he says applies to me. I'm so glad we have a place in our hearts for prayer and for gratitude. I'm so thankful to be connected with so many people. Your prayers matter to Jim. They matter to me. Thank you for walking this journey with us. Thank you for combining so many voices so that God can hear us, like an amplified prayer, and help Jim heal.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Very cute pictures! I'm glad you didn't chose ones that showed remnants of a toy sideswipe to the head by a big sister. (I'll fess up that every time I hear you say "Rachel, don't do that to your brother!" she's taking after her Aunt Judi.)

Church can be very comforting. It gives a sense of something bigger than just us. The sermons and relationships with others can calm the mind and create a sense of peace. That can be so beneficial to your family's well-being as you deal with cancer, which is just so out of your control. Keeps you from spinning out. The mind can be a powerful thing - for good or bad. I'm glad church is helping you focus and use the thoughts so positively.

Love - Jude

9:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home