This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Relay for Life

Hello friends and family-

Our friends Mark and Terri have decided to do the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. (Pictured here with their two sons, Edward and Colin.) They are forming a team in the Philadelphia area. The team is called "Jim's Corner Men". For those of you that aren't familiar with boxing, the guys in the boxer's corner that help him out between rounds are called his corner men.

Mark and Terri made a webpage for donations, sponsors, and team members. The address is www.acsevents.org/relay/pa/wissahickonvalley/markekelly
if you are interested in sponsoring them or walking.

Terri had a great description - this is their "virtual support" - since they can't be here with us in Wisconsin to cook meals, babysit, or sit with Jim during chemo, they decided that this is a great way to support Jim and the overall cause. I agree!

Our new friend Dave, a local colon cancer survivor who has been very kind to us, organizes a team for our local Relay for Life, but unfortunately it falls on a weekend that we'll be in Rochester for Jim's 20th high school reunion, so we're going to miss it. Either one or both of us is going to try and make it to the walk in Philly. I think it would be great for us to be there.

This is a no-obligation post. This is in no way a push for anyone to donate - we just thought it would be a good way to get the word out. So don't feel obligated....I won't even know if you read the blog and decide not to donate. ;)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

This is so great! I can hardly believe all the good Chi flowing towards Jim's fight with cancer. Mark and Terri's good energy for Jim is like the ripples in a pond caused by a pebble being tossed in - their support for Jim by participating in this event will affect so many people and in ways we'll probably never know.

You should place their Jim's Corner Men link in your side bar so it's easy to find as more blog posts are added.

Make sure you get some pictures of the Jim's Corner Men team at the event - we'd love to see them posted on the blog. Good luck Mark and Terri!

Love - Jude

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Mimi and Papa said...

Will Babette be running in her bikini?

Thanks for all the support for Jim

Papa

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Aimee said...

Kate & Jim-
this is awesome. I am a strong advocate for charity events. My mom & I sit ona committtee every year to raise money for breast cancer research. I am also involved with the Autism Walk as my son, Ian, is autistic. Yes, I have my own little Forrest Gump!!!

It really shows how much people love & care about you. Kudos to Mark & Terri for their efforts.

By the way..... When is the reunion?? I live here & haven't heard a thing!!!!

Love to all- Aimee

6:42 AM

 
Blogger Keli said...

Hi Jim. This is Keli (McCreadie) DiRisio from RIT! Saw your blog and am sending you all of my thoughts and prayers. Next time you and your family are in Rochester, look me up!I would love to see you again and meet your wife and children. I'm glad you have such a strong support system of family and friends. Even though I was a friend from long ago, I am always here.

Love, Keli

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I don't know if Mark and Terri knew this when they chose their team name, but Jimmy and I noticed the coincidence.

Our Grandfather - Vincent J. Marventano - was a boxer in his youth. He was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame for his work with young boxers several years back too. That Mark and Terri chose to call the team Jim's Corner Men gave us a link, in all this madness called cancer, to our grandfather. He died in 1991, but I think this team name shows he's up there watching out for Jim.

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home