This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, June 02, 2007

How can you tell when you're over thinking it?

When I was pregnant with Rachel, I got so sick of talking about babies and pregnancy. It was an emotional pregnancy for me - we found out I'm a cystic fibrosis carrier and I ended up with gestational diabetes. After awhile it seemed as though I'd read every single possible book related to pregnancy, birth, nursing, getting a kid on a schedule, what to do the first year, etc.

When I was pregnant with Jake, I brushed up on baby feeding and a couple of chapters in our sleep book. That was about it.

Best to keep it simple, right?

A few months after Jim was diagnosed, he said "I'm just so sick of talking about it." Yeah, I knew that feeling. Since then, I've read every book, scanned a ridiculous number of websites, signed us up for an organic farm share, etc. etc. - I know some of what spurs me on is the need to feel active and busy. After all, it's important to me to feel as though I'm contributing to his recovery, even if I'm not getting the treatments, too.
We are truly sick of talking about it. Not that we mind answering questions. We certainly don't. And we know that people are truly asking because they care. We are glad to talk about it with other people. Friday night I went to a scrapbooking night with my friend Kim. I had a ball and I was delighted to be invited. But eventually the group started talking about someone else with cancer, and I started asking questions. What kind of surgery is she having? Who is her surgeon? Where is she being treated? As if I know every person in the Sheboygan area that has cancer. Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut? Finally it came out that Jim has cancer. Then they started asking me questions. I could actually hear myself talking and I was thinking "KATE, SHUT UP. You're such a downer! This is supposed to be a FUN night."

When is it too much? When are we over talking, over doing, over thinking? When have we read too many books? Will I know when people just don't want to hear about it? Will I know when to stop talking? I don't want people to pity us, but I still talk about it. Not because I'm looking for pity, but because sometimes I feel that if I don't say something, it's just an enormous pink elephant in the room.

I am not known for being graceful under pressure. Today was a tough day - I'm feeling a lot of self pity and I decided tonight that I would actually rather take the SATs again than pick up any more dog poop. I freaked out on Rachel today. I freaked out on a 3 year old. It was not a good start to the day. I had such a meltdown that she actually ended up comforting me after a while.

I think we're over thinking this. I know I'm over thinking it. It seems like all we ever talk about anymore is pain, pills, chemo, pep talks, nurses, doctors, research, what book I've read, organic food, and what hospital to go to next. I really, really hate that this is our reality. I really hate that I am only able to read books on a subject that I really don't want to have to read about. I resent picking up dog poop. Our reality is so altered at this point that I'm starting to feel angry. And whiny. And like I don't want to pick up any more dog poop.

At some point I'd like to talk to Jim about...the price of tea in China. And not about green tea and its healing properties for cancer. I'd like to talk about how tough his day was at work...not about how it was tough because he was scrunched over because of stomach pain. I'd like to talk about what's going on in the neighborhood...just to fill him in, not because he's missing things because he can't leave the house. I'd like to talk to him about yard work as he's doing it, not because I have questions about tools that I don't know how to operate. (My new electric string trimmer is awesome, by the way!) I'd like to read a book for the sheer joy of reading - not to learn more about healing, not to cover my racing thoughts, not to try and figure out the cure that I somehow seem to be missing throughout all my reading. And I'd like to feel sorry for myself for dumb things like the fact that I stepped in gum at Wal-Mart. Not because our lives have taken an unbelievable turn out of the normal range.

Am I over thinking it? You bet. I'm not sure how we'll stop. Maybe we won't be able to stop until he's NED. Maybe we'll never be able to stop because we'll always worry, even when he's NED. Maybe we'll just get so sick and tired of it all that we'll be forced to talk about something else without the conversation turning to cancer. I can't wait until we get to talk about something perfectly boring and with absolutely no meaning. Like the weather.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Oh boy...I'm the same way. Maybe it's a woman thing. When something is going on in my life, I have to examine the issue from every angle. I have to learn everything I can about it. I worry. I stew. I obsess. I imagine, that if the issue was one as serious as cancer, I would really go over the edge.

I choose to think though, that it is due to our determination not to give up until we've found a way to fix it. It can be a strength, but it can be a burden as well.

Greg tells me all the time that I overthink things. But at least...I don't give up. Either do you.

That's a good thing. :?)

11:26 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Kate, You can hire someone to do the dog poop. I saw the service offered on HGTV or one of those shows. It's worth looking into so you have one less job to do. Maybe even a high school kid could be hired to do that messy job.
Worrying is a female, mom ,thing. We can't help it. It must be what keeps the species alive.
Jake looks great with his haircut. I could see he wasn't happy about it, but it looks so nice. Happy Birthday to him.

12:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are completely and absolutely NORMAL(spoken from another "over thinker"). You have an enormous weight on your shoulders -- you and your entire family.

You are a wealth of information because of this side trip in your journey of life, and I can guess from reading the blog that you are an intensely caring person. Guess what? It's there -- it's the way it is right now. It won't always be uppermost in your self conscious -- you've had only about a half year to get to this point.

The fact that Rachel was so sweet to you shows how sweet you are as a mom. Jim comes from "strong stock," and I think he chose his life partner well.

You've been slapped in the face with a reality -- you talk about it; you ask questions about it; YOU DEAL WITH IT. I think you deal with it amazingly well. I don't know you except from what you write, but I have excellent perception!

Your blog is a good therapy. It's all good -- it really is. Don't worry about being "a downer." You are you, and you're the best you! Don't be too harsh on yourself for being human.

By the way, Jake got one handsome haircut! You've got handsome men in your family!! You girls aren't bad, either! ;0)

Please forgive for rambling on, but I just had to let you know you're doing good.

Mary C.

12:44 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

The analysis wind must be going around... Leroy Sievers blog yesterday was "When do I stop being a cancer patient." Your blog reminded me a bit of his in my "oh-my-god,-my-brother-has-cancer" mental haze.

The talking part is hard - some people want to know and you can talk to them. Other people get the "deer-in-the-headlights" look and they quickly and politely wander away. I hate that look because I'm usually half-way into a real answer - my mouth is full steam ahead and my brain's frantically trying to find a way to reverse engines. I try to remember those people and give them the polite "Fine, thank you for asking" answer that makes them feel better and me feel sad.

Don't feel bad about Rachel. Even if Jim didn't have cancer, chances are you'd freak on her more than once - Moms are human too and don't always handle stress like Donna Reed did.

Take care. Love to all - Jude

8:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Kate.

Someone should come up with an invention to get rid of dog poop. Just when you think you got it all you step in a pile.

Over thinking is my middle name, and I still can't figure out that it doesn't help matters. But, as moms, I think it's part of the job. Although that's probably over thinking right there.

Your courage is AMAZING, Kate. What you have done for you and your family is just unprecedented. I would try to get out with the girls often. Gives you a chance to get refreshed and jump started. Who cares about being a downer. That's what friends are for...building you back up.

Tell Jim we say hi, and you're all in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Kristin and Daryl

P.S. The kids are adorable!

6:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home