This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Updates

Things going on at the Marventano household:

1. Rachel had her first dance recital last weekend. I took her to a salon to get her hair curled. She got to sit in a fire engine while having her hair done. Then onto the recital...she was fabulous. Not scared at all, and in front of quite a large audience - at least around 200-300 people. She actually came out onto the stage waving. The girls did a teddy bear dance. At the end they got to throw their bears up into the air. Apparently that was Rachel's favorite part because she took the liberty of tossing her bear. Twice. Rachel is in the middle in this picture.

2. Jim's leg is getting better. He still has to keep it elevated 95% of the time, but he's not longer using the wheelchair, which is nice. I'm not such a hot wheelchair driver. Strollers turn on a dime. Wheelchairs hosting a 200 pound man don't. He's even managed to get off the crutches, although he can only walk for a few minutes before the pain becomes so intense he has to sit. I asked the nurses at the Vince if it was normal for a clot recovery to take this long, and they confirmed it. Darn. I secretly suspected that he's been okay since Saturday, but he was just having fun bossing me around from the couch.

3. Jake is a drooling, biting, screeching cutie. Good thing he's so cute. He's in desperate need of a haircut, but I refuse to have it cut until he's a year old. The poor kid looks like one of the Ramones.

4. I spoke with the Mayo Clinic today. We've set up a tentative appointment for the 3rd week in July. The reason for the time gap is that they agreed with Dr. Holen's assessment in Madison - stay the course and reevaluate in two months. Even if we drove over to Mayo today, they still wouldn't take him off the regimen he's on. They were also highly complimentary of Madison, which gave me some mental relief. They also commended Dr. Haid for urging us to seek out other opinions.

5. I learned the hard way about letting the lawn go a little too long without cutting it. Now, bear in mind that I've mowed the lawn twice before today. It was sort of fun. Before today. But I've been putting off mowing the backyard because I hate to pick up the dog poop. My neighbor, Kate, graciously mowed our front yard (not because it was unbearably long, but because she's cool like that), but was wise to leave the backyard to me. I hate the dog poop. So the lawn was so long tonight that the blade got stuck in the mulching and basically shut the mower down. I'd just filled it with gas (a first for me), so I couldn't figure it out. Annoyed, I had to come in and ask Jim. I'd be one of those people that pulls mulch out from the blade and gets her hand cut off. What a way to make the 5 o'clock news. The blade got stuck more than three times before I started leaning on the handle to lift the front of the mower up. By then the yard was pretty much done. I'm learning all sorts of new things. I've always considered myself a little prissy when it comes to manual labor. Why do the work I can pay someone else to do? But I'm finding there's almost a meditation to it. I can sort of zone out and not have to think about...anything.

6. Rachel's last day of preschool is tomorrow. My heart aches. I frosted 50 cupcakes tonight for her class. 20 kids, plus a parent - plus a couple who'll want more than one. I'm really getting into the Stepford thing...frosting 50 cupcakes? I would have turned my nose up in a minute before Rachel was born. But now...Her last day of preschool. Sigh.

7. We went over to the Vince today to return the wheelchair that we hijacked for the weekend, and for Jim to have his blood tests. We ended up staying and talking to the nurses for quite a while. They are just so soothing. I imagine they really want us to go home so they can, you know, help other patients. But they are so awesome.

8. I put Jake to bed at 5:30 tonight. Rachel had swimming lessons at 6:00, and I couldn't handle schlepping them both around the pool. Good thing because Rachel had a hissy fit at the end of her swim lesson (in front of everyone in Kohler, whose kids are perfect - strike one for the crazy family). She was in bed at 6:50.

9. My horse won on The Bachelor. No making fun of me. Jim was rooting for her too. But...in his defense, he can't get off the couch. I watch it voluntarily.

10. Tomorrow Jim has an appointment with the therapist. I think it's good to have someone to talk to about this emotional rollercoaster.

Things are good, then sometimes they're not. Sometimes we forget about what we're dealing with, especially when we see the kids so happy. After all, not every moment has to be double-dose of reality. Watching Rachel frolic around in a huge tutu is good for the soul.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

I love the pictures of Rachel at the recital. I believe she has a bit of her cousin Kirsten in her - quite the showman!

It sounds like your household has settled back down some. That's good. And you're right - there's nothing like an almost 4 year-old in a tutu to provide the best stress relief.

Congrats on the Bachelor win!

8:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God.

I've been trying to convince myself for about two years that I'm totally content with one active, smart, funny son. I love Wyatt to death, and even partake in the (wince) pirate fights from time to time. 'Girls are moody,' I tell myself. 'They hate their mothers from age 11-22. Consider yourself lucky that he's a mama's boy and move on.'

But seeing Rachel on stage with her tutu brought tears to my eyes. She is so cute! Although I probably could enroll Wyatt in ballet, I don't think Jeff would allow it, and I might even be setting the kid up for years of therapy.

So - here I sit with tutu envy. Sheesh.

1:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home