This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Every Little Bit Helps

I'm going to report on the positives in our scenario today.

1. Jim got the OK to stop his daily shots yesterday, since his blood level is back to what Dr. Haid refers to as "theraputic". Jim will continue on with his coumadin (blood thinner), as usual. He goes back in on Friday for another checkup. His leg is still in pain but he's taking painkillers to help control it.

2. Rachel is going out with a little friend after school today, which will give my Mom a break. When I called my girlfriend to set up the playdate, I basically had a mini-meltdown on her answering machine. Um, hello? What happened there? I'm still not sure, but she was totally cool about it. If there's one thing I can say for the people of Kohler, it's that they know how to take things in stride.

3. We've had several visitors over the past couple of days - a friend from our church who beat advanced prostate cancer, a girlfriend from church who gave us inspirational CDs for the drive, and one of the 2K nurses gave us a fun bag FILLED with stuff for the drive - a Van Morrison CD, Diet Coke for me, water for Jim, muffins, sunflower seeds, nuts, cookies...you name it! We were delighted we got a chance to visit with her.

4. Guess what I got?! Six bottles of wine delivered to my door last night, courtesy of Janet's family (Aunt Cheryl, Uncle Bob, Ted and Tonia - thank you!). I thought of cracking into one last night, but thought better of it in light of today's drive. Friday night, here I come!

5. Please keep us in your prayers. We are off to Madison today. I believe that they will have something for us. A study or some suggestions, at the very least. We have heard great things about this doctor and we are hopeful that he's got some good clinical trials for us.

6. We got a call back from Sloan Kettering, although I missed it, so I'll call them today and hopefully they can squeeze us in for an appointment.

It's easy to complain about what's going wrong. Sometimes it's hard to be thankful for the things we do have in the face of troubled times. But we have to remind ourselves (or, more specifically, I have to remind myself) that we have two beautiful, healthy children. We live and attend church in a fabulous community, where people are truly banding together and lifting us up. And we have family that supports us through thick and thin. The one statement we can't add to this is "at least we have our health", BUT, perhaps with all our other blessings, we'll be able to overcome and prevail over a situation that will be a blip on the map of our life.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Kate -

Jim told me about many of those positives on the phone yesterday. He sounded good - where you could hear the little twinkle in his eye as he was saying something funny. He said he was still in a lot of pain, but said the nurses hoped it would be relieved soon. He sounded hopeful again.

I was talking to a friend and described how every once in a while, you feel like you need to walk to that big old "pit of despair" and peer in. It makes everyone around you pretty nervous because they think you're going to jump in, but you really just want to peek in and see what's down there. It's nice to have a friend next to you to peek with you and help you say "Geez, that pit sure stinks!" Then you turn around and make sure all of your loved ones are backing away from the pit.

I think we all visited the pit this week - we peeked in and didn't like what we saw. We turned around and said "Okay - there's nothing here for us. Everyone back away from the pit." We turned back towards the light and started walking again. Kind of chuckling because you gave us a funny image of Jim walking in compression stockings up to his thighs.

Best wishes today - may the light shine and guide you to the next treatment.

Love Judi

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Kate, you wouldn't be human if you didn't throw yourself a little pity party now and then. I, for one, think you have been amazingly positive. I'm not sure I could be as strong in your position. I truly admire your determination and your outlook. You guys are really lucky to have each other. Together, you are a force to be reckoned with! Best of luck in Madison.

1:59 PM

 
Blogger The Pruntys said...

Kathleen & Jim,
We read your blog every day. Kevin and I marvel at your courage, strength and positive attitude. You are truly an amazing family! We wonder if we could be so strong. You're definitely right - cancer came knocking on the wrong door! We are praying for you and love you.
Love, Kelly, Kevin & Jack

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home