This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Things are pretty much the same

We're riding on a flat wave here at the Marventano household. Jim has stomach pain. He still can't feel his feet. His skin is starting to get rashy (yippee!).

This weekend, Jim went on his annual fishing trip with the Musky Marauders. They've been doing this trip for years - like...20 years. Jim was initiated the year we were married. (Which was 12 years ago today.) Lucky for me, the Marauders moved the trip to August the year we were married, but have commenced with the trip in June ever since. Jim hasn't ever missed a trip. He didn't even miss the trip when it was scheduled a mere week after Jake was born. This is Jim's trip.

I was a little concerned when he finally admitted that he didn't think he could make the drive alone. It's a four hour drive Up North. But that's one of the privileges of being a stay-at-home-mom: every day is Saturday. So we drove him half way there, and my Dad drove down to meet us.

He had a great time. He got to go scuba diving. He got to do several fun activities with the Marauders, including attending the initiation ceremony and a picnic. These are all really great strides forward because Jim has been more and more sedentary. He's been so immobile in fact, that I decided it was time to call in the big guns and ask his sister to come for a visit.

Judi has been trying to encourage Jim to exercise a little more. It's tough to do that over the phone or email. And he's at the point where he's just flat out tuning me out. I know it hurts him to exercise (or move, sometimes) but things seem to be getting out of hand. Sometimes I worry that his muscles will begin to atrophy. Of course he's not any more sedentary than around 60% of America, but I worry because he was active, and now he's inactive. I also worry because before he left for the trip, he really wasn't getting a lot of fresh air, which I believe to be crucial to mental well being. I couldn't even convince him to walk around the half block (we have an alley). So, all that being said, I figure if Judi can get him to eat green beans, then she can most certainly get him out the door for a walk.

A couple of years ago Judi started running. She started really running. She's logging some serious weekly mileage. The first time she came to visit us after she started running, she didn't miss a day of running. And let me tell you, she looked good. The moment she left after the visit, Jim and I started scrambling around for our running clothes. Envy can push people to do some things that are good for them. My hope is that Judi will once again give both of us that inspiration. Jim needs it. I need it. I'll start as soon as I put down my wine glass. No really, I will. Just give me a minute. Another minute. One more sip....

Tomorrow is a chemo day. Jim meets with Dr. Haid, which he is a little nervous about. But it's a routine chemo day, and there's at least some predictability in that. Judi arrives on Friday morning. Thank heavens. I need some reinforcements. Jim needs some love and some real encouragement. And maybe a kick in the heinie to get him out the door. It's got to be hard to get moving when he's in so much pain. But sitting at home thinking about the pain has got to be exacerbating things. I'm not making him do tai chi or mall walk anymore, but I'll be darned if he's allowed to just sit on the couch. He's got to use activity to help get himself to a better place mentally. He needs the boost. This weekend was a great start, but it just isn't enough. I'm putting money on his sister getting him moving. No pressure, though, Jude. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Well, I've got say that I'm leaving the running shoes home and bringing the recipe for an awesome Sangria!

Funny how we motivate each other...it was the Christmas picture of the two of you from pre-Rachel days when you were running that motivated me to get off my pretty sedentary, ice cream-filled, routine.

I have a vested interested in James Robert getting up off the couch. I don't want to be struggling in mile 25 of our NED-MAD (No evidence of disease - marathon at Disney) while my younger brother is riding the Tea Cups and partaking of It's a Small World. He's going to beat this, and then he's going to drag his butt 26+ miles around Epicot with me - a short little celebratory run!

11:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home