This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Out of Commission

I haven't written over the last week because our family has been a bit out of commission.

Jake was struck with the norovirus the week before last. Norovirus is basically a stomach flu - highly contagious among kids. I blame the YMCA babysitting, but of course I have no proof. Well, once Jake was sick (and boy was he ever - 104.6 temp!) Jim was convinced that he was sick too. Of course. So over the last week I've taken care of two babies, plus Rachel. Jim miraculously recovered on Friday, although we still took it very easy over the weekend and we went up to my parents' cabin. [Help with the kids. Pure bliss.] Jake didn't fare as well as Jim, and he really just got over it yesterday. Norovirus starts with throwup and ends with diarrhea. Yuck. Probably my #1 least-favorite activity as a parent is cleaning up anything that came out of someone else.

Jim couldn't receive chemo last week because he wasn't feeling well. If he did have norovirus it could have been disastrous with a new chemo regimen. They aren't really jazzed about administering chemo to sick people.

Well, Rachel woke up whiny this morning. Lo and behold, she's at 103.9. Ack. And, as luck would have it, Jim is "sick", too. I told him he'd better buck up and go in to receive chemo tomorrow because I'm not taking care of three babies. This is where I put my foot down.


You know, as a girl, I imagined a vastly different life than I am actually now living. While other little girls dreamed of their wedding day, I dreamed of a sales career and owning my own loft in New York City. Much akin to Sex and the City, except that at the time I didn't know about sex, so my dream involved having my own cat and being able to do whatever I wanted to do, whenever I wanted to do it. And wearing really cool clothes all the while.

I doubt quite seriously that my green Lands' End down vest and Gap jeans would fall into the "really cool clothes" category. And Sheboygan, Wisconsin is hardly a synonym for New York City. And I don't even have a cat - I have two smelly, giant dogs. And I was never much good at sales.

Although I've largely failed at my childhood dreams, I realize that my current life blessings far outweigh the things I thought I wanted as a child. One never really envisions long, sleepless nights with inconsolable sick kids, getting thrown up on, and having so many poopy pants in the laundry chute that I finally run out and am forced to let my son sit in a diaper while I do an emergency load of laundry. Would I trade it for a day in the life of "Sex and the City"? Not on your life. I can't think of a better life than the one I'm living now.

Although I could use a new Marc Jacobs bag, some arch-killing Blahniks, and a crisp pair of Seven jeans.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, you are so funny. I can't tell you how excited I am when I find out there's a new post. It's like checking the mail and finding something besides bills. I read them all, and am always impressed by your attitude and wit. I've noticed that you've mentioned your "smelly" dogs twice in two weeks. Do they really stink that bad? I just want to let you know how much we think about you and your family around here. It must be a little strange having a blog anyone can read, and never really knowing who's reading it. Anyway, I read it, and I love it, and we're all pulling for you. PS - Wyatt talks about Rachel more than you'd ever guess. It must be love!
Take care - I hope the barf and poop passes quickly, for your sake as well as everyone else's!
Artemis

8:59 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Eventually, you get to stop changing diapers...or so Mark tells me, at least until your husband hits 90 and needs you to change his Depends. Your kids must get high temps like mine did. I believe Mom said Jimmy always had really high temps too when he got sick as a little guy. They are just so miserable when they are that warm. There's nothing you can do for them, but load them up on Motrin and pray they sleep.

I'm hoping Jim feels well enough for his new chemo regimen starting tomorrow. I'll throw up a prayer for the Prada and maybe some Jimmy Choos for you too! Although I have to say, I don't think they'll look the same with sticky finger prints and spit up on them. You might do better with the Target wipe-off faux leather for a while. :-0

Keep the faith! This too shall pass.

Love - Jude

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

"My least favorite part of parenting is cleaning up anything that comes out of someone else."

Ditto.

I think we grew up in an era when women were just beginning to exercise their hard won freedom and independance. I think there was a very pervasive sense that we had to do something spectacular to be happy and fulfilled...but nobody ever promoted parenting as that spectacular thing. It was against the 1970's feminist ideal, I guess.

But yeah...I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder what happend to the greatness that I expected of myself, and then I realize that I gave birth to it. Twice.

The poop passes. I have very little poop in my life anymore except the occasional skidmark.

I hope everyone is healthy again soon and I hope you don't get sick. It stinks being the Mommy when you're sick because there's nobody to baby us!

9:30 PM

 
Blogger French said...

Hi Kate!! I am so sorry you've had a miserable time lately. I certainly do not earn any nominations for "Mother of the Year" when puke and poop are involved. In fact, I'm neurotic. My mind plays total games with me and I feel "sick" until I've scoured everything and feel like enough time since initial exposure has passed before I start to "feel better" - afflicted with just a minor touch of whatever it was...

Anway, I hope Rachel pulls through with a minor case and that Jim is well enough to receive treatment. You take your vitamins - I also swear by Danactive for keeping my tummy's defenses strong.

Your attitude is amazing and inspirational!! You, sporting your gap jeans and Lands End vest are truly the coolest, hippest chick I know!!! Besides, Carrie Bradshaw's columns have NOTHING on your blog. You're a gifted and entertaining writer!! I am addicted!! I check your blog daily, sometimes more than once a day, badly needing my fix on the lastest Marventano news.

Hang in there!! I hope that Jim is well enough to start his new treatment tomorrow. Is he still on track for surgery the first week of April?

Take care of you!!

Love,

Melissa, Dave, Tyler and Eliana

11:08 PM

 
Blogger Laurie Piwinski said...

Kate -

I am so enjoying your Blog. You really should write a book. I love how you can always find the humor in every situation.

Thanks for keeping us "distant relatives" informed.

Love and Blessings to you, Jim, and your beautiful children!

12:56 PM

 
Blogger The Oakleys said...

Kate,

I agree with Laurie...you need to write a book. One minute you are bringing a tear to my eye and the next you have me belly laughing! I hope that everyone is feeling better soon! ...and you deserve that Marc Jacobs bag!

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kate - as blog antagonist said:

But yeah...I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder what happend to the greatness that I expected of myself, and then I realize that I gave birth to it. Twice.

We are praying every day for you, Jim, Jake and Rachel!

You all take care and keep on writing!

love you all!

10:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home