This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, March 12, 2007

Scan Today


Jim has a scan today. Please keep us in your prayers. His scan isn't until around 1:00 today, so we're just sort of hanging around. It's easier to have things scheduled for first thing in the morning to just get it overwith. This waiting around for a late appointment is for the birds!
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month! If you are reading this blog and you're 50 years old, or older, please go get your colonscopy. No one wants to get a colonoscopy, but if you think a colonoscopy is no fun, try dealing with colon cancer. Jim says that at this point he'd rather get a weekly colonoscopy than deal with cancer. Not that he had a choice. Being diagnosed at 37 years old left him 13 years until his recommended check. I personally think the first colonoscopy should be set at 40.

If you're not treating your body right, ask yourself why. When I look back on our history, we've had healthy times and unhealthy times. Youth and perceived invincibility "entitled" us to a careless lifestyle for several years. Obviously it's no way to live. Who knows why cancer strikes some and not others...stress, genetics, unhealthy lifestyle...you name it. But even if you haven't been diagnosed with cancer, why would you want to treat your body with anything but the best? We may never know why Jim got cancer, but at this point - does it matter? What matters is adopting a lifestyle that doesn't promote cancer. Do yourself a favor. Stop smoking. Today. Exercise. Today. Eat better. Today. And schedule your colonoscopy. Today!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Best of luck for a good result today! I agree, waiting sucks. I haven't commented much lately, but I'm here reading and keeping tabs on Jim. We're always thinking of you guys.

You're so right about treating your body with respect. We seem to go in spurts. Meaning, when *I'm* motivated, we do well.

Please post and let us know how the scan went!

10:12 AM

 
Blogger The Oakleys said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. I love the pictures of Jimmy. The one of Jimmy standing in front of my house,on the first day of kindergarten (my cat Tut-tut with him) reminds me of a similar picture with the "Strawberry Hill Gang". I will have to find it. Thinking of you. Love ya, Stephanie

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

For those of you who read the comments...I echo Kate's recommendation for a colonoscopy. GET ONE! It's the only way you'll know for sure what's going on inside. There really are no outward "signs" until the problems are pretty advanced. Just ask Jim - he was healthy and training to run the Rochester Marathon as a team with me, Mom and Uncle Bob. Then SURPRISE, the world as he knew it came crashing down on him.

The colonoscopy really isn't that bad. I got one about a month after Jim was diagnosed and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The not eating for a day is about the worst of it. Oh and drinking the liquid was pretty bad by the end - I'd just look at it and gag. I stayed semi-awake for it so I could watch the TV screen. It was pretty cool to actually see inside. It's an expensive procedure to get if insurance doesn't pay for it, but if you're 50 or have any history of it in your family, insurance should pay.

- Judi

9:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home