This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, April 01, 2007

There's No One Like Mom

Let me start by saying that we seem to have returned to whole health here in our household, albeit a bout of cancer. Thank heavens, because the whining was really starting to get to me. Including my own.

Yesterday was the day that the shot to boost Jim's white blood cell count was supposed to start hurting. So far, so good. Admittedly, Jim is exhausted. More tired than I've seen him in several months. BUT, his Mom arrived yesterday to help us take care of the kids while Jim has his surgery on Wednesday, and I think that's helping him.

Most of you probably know that Rachel is a complete Daddy's Girl. I've always joked that my kids have the worst case of the Oedipus complex. Toward the end of last week, that fact became painfully clear - as Rachel was using her energy to recover, it made her a tad crabby. And when she's crabby, it's my fault. All of it. No matter what it is. Even if I'm a mile away, it's my fault. So obviously the end of the week got a bit trying. But there's an interesting element to our relationship. During one of her worst fever episodes, Jim tried to help her get a drink of water, and she just wasn't doing well with him. I picked her up and she hugged me and clung on as I got her some water. And, no matter what, she loves to have me tuck her into bed at night.

Sometimes, especially when you're sick, there's nothing like Mom. I believe that Jim is in good spirits and feeling reasonably well because his Mom will be here for the week. Today Jim and his Mom watched the kids, and I had the good fortune of going to Chicago to see the BodyWorlds 2 exhibit. Alone. A blessed two hour drive. Alone. An afternoon of human bodies injected with plastic. Alone. Another blessed two hours in the car, alone. Can a day get much better than that? I think everyone wins! Jim and his Mom got to spend a little quality time together, the kids got to spend time with their Mimi, and I got a respite from life.

Moms just have that je ne c'est quoi that no one else has. And every mom has just the right measure for her kids. (Well, most moms, anyway.) Moms have cool hands when you have a fever. They listen when you're feeling afraid, down, or alone. And they know just how to make you feel better. Only a Mom tucks you in just right at night. Only a Mom knows how much Nestle Quik to put in your chocolate milk. Only a Mom knows just the right time to visit or call.

We have an exciting week coming up. I'm glad Jim's Mom will be here to help with the kids, make a few of Jim's favorite dinners, provide comfort and support, hope and encouragement. Those are the things a mom does best.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Nope, there isn't. And you are one of the elite now. Sometimes cool, sometimes not, but always special.

I really, really, really wanted to see that exhibit when it was in Atlanta, but we never got ot.

Good luck to you and Jim on Wednesday. We'll be thinking of you!

10:51 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Yes, it was good all around. Jim might have needed Mom, but Mom needed Jim too. One of my favorite children's books is "Are You My Momma?" The little bird is looking for his momma after he falls out of the nest. The story tells us the momma was just as desperate to find the little bird.

In your head, they spread their wings bit by bit, and eventually leave the nest to make one of their own. But in your heart, you need and want them to fly back once in a while. There's nothing like Mom's hand on your forehead when you're sick, except maybe for the feel of placing your hand on your child's forehead when they're sick. That maternal instinct never goes away...we just learn how to hide it so our kids don't run away yelling "MOM! Stop!"

So enjoy the cool hand and the calm that it brings to your family this week. That's what moms are for.

Love - Jude

5:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim and Kate:
Keep the faith. If any one can beat cancer it is the two of you.

Kate, your blogs are not only informative but insightful and humourous. I hope you find in therapeutic because I am sure it takes a lot of energy just to keep it up.

When Coke was in Radiation treatment, he would throw up at the gas station on the corner of Mt. Hope and Crittenden Boulevard on his way to the treatment center. That was over 30 years ago when the mortality figures for testicular cancer were not in Coke's favor.

The two of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

The O'Connors

4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home