This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Planning ahead

When we were first married, one of our newlywed arguments was centered around Cooperstown, NY. It's a cute little town - home to the Baseball Hall of Fame, but Cooperstown is a great little town to visit even if you're not interested in baseball. On any given Saturday (pre-kids, of course), I'd wake up and say "Let's go to Cooperstown!" Jim would balk and list the many reasons why we couldn't jump in the car and go. The primary reason being that he refused to do a spur-of-the-moment three hour drive. What if we got tired? Where would we stay? The car didn't have enough gas, so on and so forth. My argument was that we only live once (kid-free at that) and a three hour drive was a ridiculous barrier to fun. We never went.

Since then Jim has managed to loosen up a bit, and I've made less spur-of-the-moment requests. Having young kids changes the spur-of-the-moment map from cross-country to cross-the-street. Plopping Jake into a carseat for three hours to then plop him into a stroller to shop around and then plop him into a highchair for lunch isn't anyone's idea of fun.

Post-kids, I've become a real planner. I like to have planned activities so I know what to expect for the coming day. I'm not very imaginative with the kid thing, so I'm not good at creating giant origami falcons made purely from egg cartons, soap and food coloring. Mercifully I opted not to over plan our summer, which is an easy suburban/soccer mom trap.

Cancer wreaks havoc on myriad aspects of one's life, including planning anything in advance. I cannot tell you how many times I've counted the chemo weeks, then recounted the chemo weeks, then made a plan, only to have it fall through. I was notorious for my flakiness with friends before cancer, now I'm just downright annoying. I have to call people and back out at the last minute. I'll try and plan a weekend to do something, and we'll have a setback and we can't go. The chemo schedule is changing again. If we get into the trial, we have to figure that we'll be in Madison every week for three weeks after he's done his workup, and then every other week after that. But during some of those off weeks Jim might need to go in for bloodwork. If he doesn't make the trial, we have to figure out a traditional chemo schedule again.

July and August have been planning torture for me. We wanted to go to Rochester for a week for Jim's high school reunion. If he gets into the trial, we'll miss the reunion because we'll have to be in Madison for workup and/or chemo dosing. Jim has been planning on going to this reunion for at least the last six months. He's really been looking forward to it. Of course, I mapped out his previous chemo regimen so that he could have that week off. When that schedule changed, I replanned so that we could still make it within the same week. We still don't know if we can make the reunion because we don't know for sure that we're in the trial.

I traditionally spend a week at my parents' cabin with the kids during the summer. We had planned to bring our friends, the Howells, with us. Of course, I flaked out after a setback. Good thing my friend Judy and I only really got to know each other well since Jim's diagnosis. She knew I might flake. And we could move it to another week, but I looked at the calendar today, and I can't figure out when.

Rachel starts kindergarten this fall. Originally I was fretting because we were going to miss "Meet the Teacher" day at Kohler because we were going to be at Mayo. I'm not sure why I was stressed about it because the schedule has changed and we'll be at Mayo next week. I was planning on spending the last two weeks of the summer practicing getting ready for school with Rachel. Laugh if you will, but she's not a morning person and thus far I can't get her to eat a thing before 9:30 or 10:00 am. Sometimes 11:00. Obviously that's not going to fly when she starts school at 8:00 am. But the only time we'll have to travel will be the second to last week in August. That's provided the schedule for the trial works out as I've counted the weeks. That's provided he gets into the trial.

Keeping Rachel on a regular routine and providing her with the life of a normal three-year-old is of the utmost importance to me and Jim. She's got swim lessons, t-ball, and tennis lessons this summer. I am thankful for every bit for normalcy in our lives. Even if we can only plan into the next weekend.

When we hear NED, we'll plan a vacation and not change the plans. I bet Jim will be willing to do a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants trip to Anywhere, USA on any given weekend. We'll plop the kids in the car and not let a three hour drive be a barrier to fun. We'll look at the calendar and plan for the future like crazy. We'll plan things months and months and months in advance and relish in the monotony of a mapped out life. We'll savor the option to make or break plans on our own free will; not on what the chemo schedule dictates. Maybe we'll even go to Cooperstown. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

We're in for an NED camping trip. A little time on a sandy beach, a little fishing, a ride or two in the canoe, hiking, biking, and best yet...big camping breakfasts!!! Eggs, bacon, toast, homefries, coffee, juice. (All organic...of course.) YUMMY! Nothing like breakfast cooked in the great outdoors. Then when we're thoroughly tired of roughing it, we'll take that Hawaii trip. I've got faith in the latest sequence of events, so start planning now sister! :-)

Love - Jude, Mark, Kirsten & Sean

10:19 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Kate,Jordan never was a morning eater. Some people just aren't. Don't feed her. You won't get sent to the "bad mother's" hall of fame.She won't stave. If she gets hungry she can eat and she'll be home for lunch before you know it. Not something to worry about. I remember " practicing " for school starting and always made the girls do it,too. Hope you have a good week.

1:06 PM

 
Blogger Auntie Cheryl said...

As a kindergarten teacher I must agree that it is very important to practice going to school. The very best thing you can do to get Rachel ready for school has nothing to do with eating breakfast but rather going to bed early. I always told parents that starting in early to mid August insisting on a regular routine of going to bed early at night is so helpful. Do not worry if she can read or write before she starts, that will come as she is ready. Being well rested will help her with managing the increased challenges of school. It is often difficult since it still light out but starting weeks before school will make it second nature when school comes in Sept.
Wish all moms were so prepared!

P.S. Independent bathroom skills are also a MUST!

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Kate - I have to agree with my dearest Auntie and her wise older sister. :-) My kids weren't morning eaters either. They still aren't. Left to their own schedule, breakfast would begin about lunch time. Kirsten's school actually starts lunch at the early hour of 10:30 for first lunch period! All the kids have had lunch way before you'd even think about having it. So it never became a problem. If Rach's hungry in school, she'll start eating before she goes. The bedtime routine tip is 100% spot on, but Rachel is very good about an early bedtime. Sean would still be up at midnight if we didn't hound him.

6:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home