This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

LOST

Tonight was the first time in months that I've been able to sit down a watch a tv show. I've been waiting for the season premiere of LOST. I love it. (Does this make up for the fact that I watch The Bachelor? No...I guess to do that I'd have to be watching some kind of PBS documentary.)

I can only remember a handful of nights when I've been able to watch tv - really sit there and pay attention - since Jim passed away. One night I was already feeling down, so I decided to batten down the hatches and watch Hope Floats. In retrospect I probably wasn't thinking clearly, but I cried my eyes out and felt better afterward. (Not immediately, but later.) And I've watched The Bourne Ultimatum. I got it for Christmas. And who can say no to Jason Bourne?

Any other tv or movie just hasn't appealed to me. I just can't stomach it. My brain churns and churns and I realize I've got to get up and do something else. I spend a lot of my time reading, and a lot of my time looking at drivel on the internet. I still wander around sometimes, not sure of what to do. When I realize I'm wandering I get really sad. Wandering most often happens on Friday and Saturday nights. The kind of nights when Jim and I would watch a movie together. Weeknights I am so up to my ears in tasks for the coming day that I don't have time to wander.

LOST was a good episode. It also kind of made me jumpy and I wondered if perhaps LOST might be a little too intense for me at this point. I also had to stop reading Bonfire of the Vanities because it really was too intense. Although it looks like a good book, so maybe some day I can go back to it.

I often wonder when my mind will calm down enough to do some of the things I used to do. I wonder if it will ever calm down. I'm scared to have it calm down. You know what it feels like when you're in the car, driving to an address you've never been to before, and you suddenly realize that the radio is blaring, so you turn it down? As if turning down the radio is going to help you see better. That's what I feel like all the time. The radio in my head is just blaring. But I'm not hearing voices yet, so I guess that's a good thing!

Every day I wear a necklace that I got when Jim passed away. It's a star. Actually, I got one, and so did Jim's mom, Judi, my mom, and Kirsten. It's got Jim's ashes in it. We got Jake and Sean little silver cylinders. They're pretty neat. Today I tried to not wear the star. I tried on another necklace (that Jim gave me!) and I swear the radio in my head went to full volume. I had to take it off and put the star on. That turned the volume down to about the consistent rate - enough to be annoying, but not enough to keep me from doing things. Then I put on a ring that he bought me in St. Thomas. The volume went down a little more and I felt better.

I've always been pretty tightly wound (and if you know me you're thinking DUH!), but we're at fever pitch here. Sometimes I want it to calm down so I can watch LOST. Sometimes I need the volume to stay up so that I don't wander too much. I'm looking for the delicate balance.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

You'll find it, Kate. I know you will.

12:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the star necklaces...keep wearing it!!!! It's right near your heart where Jim will always be!!

10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl~
One of my New Years resolutions is to find 5 minutes a day to quiet my mind. I know that it's in that quiet time that I'm really going to be able to hear what I'm supposed to hear. If you can try to find 5 minutes, and it's going to take work and persistance, and it's probably going to be a little painful at first, but if you can find it, I imagine thats the time you will feel really connected to Jim. You guys are connected at the soul level and he'll still talk to you there. Now, let me get out my patchouli and my hula-hoop and start chanting around the fire (wink-wink). Love you...your blog inspires me.
peace and love, Cristin Zegers

5:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love LOST too. My friend Becca and I always call eachother when it's over to re-cap.

"So, what do you think? Is future-Charlie really dead or what?"

"Hm, I don't really know."

"Interesting. Hm...What about Loch?"

"Hm. Not sure?"

"What happened anyway - I can't remember."

"I have absolutely no idea."

"Me neither."

It's really almost harrowing for me to discuss and/or figure out, but I can't stop watching. Of course you know there's no real figuring anything out. I had to give up my beloved 2-3 glasses of wine with LOST because then I really couldn't remember any of it.
My point is this: If you feel overwhelmed by LOST you are not alone, and I don't think it has anything to do with Jim:)
Take care Kate.

11:23 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

I know what you mean about the "wandering." I have a difficult time sitting alone with my thoughts, so I can't imagine how it is for you. I'm going to tell you to reread the India section of the "Eat, Pray, Love" book you gave me for Christmas. Her circumstances were different to say the least, but the noise in her head just as loud. There might be something in her journey to calm her inner noise that will spark something to help you.

Love - jude

1:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't taken my bracelet off since receiving it back when the guys all came out to Kohler see Jimmer for the last time.

"Strength+Courage+Family... We love you Jimmy"

I think of him at one point or another each and every day. Sometimes tears come to my eyes and other times a smile to my face. I don't know how long the bracelet will last but know my thoughts and memories will always be there.

With love... Scott

10:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,you just made my day. When I got those bracelets my purpose was to do exactly what you are doing, thinking and remembering Jim everyday!! And if you ever break or lose yours I have plenty more just e-mail me your address and I will send you one....or anyone else for that matter!! I will have mine on forever to show how much I miss him and how important he was to this world and me!!! He sure made a difference in all of our lives!! We miss you Jimmy!! Jeri (for bracelets...jmacfall1@excite.com) !!!!

10:07 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Jeri- FYI, I think the bracelets are wonderful, too - I wear mine every day as well. :)

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home