This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

This is why there are supposed to be two parents

When Rachel was a baby I said to Jim "Geez. I don't think I could make it as a single mom." Huh. Who knew.

I believe that kids need two parents. I don't care who the parents are - husband and wife, wife and wife, husband and husband. But I think there should be two parents in any home. Not for the kid's sake - kids turn out just fine with a single parent. I think it's for the parents' sake. For their own sanity, people naturally pair off. When Parent A runs out of steam, Parent B can pick up the ball and run with it. Parent B can hand a wailing baby to Parent A and say "I've had enough for the moment" and recharge - if only for a few minutes. And, in our case today, my counterpart could have done something with the kids through the witching hour while I prepared dinner.

I am done with being a parent for the day. Actually, I was done around 2:30 but Jim hasn't come back to relieve me yet, so I guess I have to keep going. But at this point the kids are upstairs doing...something. And I just don't care what it is.

Weekends get really long without Parent B (or A, as the case may be). I had better have at least one activity planned for each day. On Sundays I'm delighted to go to church because it's like a ritual for us. We get up, hang in our jammies for awhile. We start getting ready (typically too late) and run out the door to make it there by 10:00. I get an interesting hour listening to Pastor Kirby while my kids are having fun, watched over by nice people. And I get a blissful hour to myself. After church, without fail, we hit the little market here in Kohler and get donuts with sprinkles on them. And by the time we get home, eat our donuts and some juice...well, then it's time for nap and we've had our activity for the day. (Plus I get to get dressed up for church which is nice for me.)

But today, I was disappointed to find that Jake is really snotty and coughing. Rachel sounds really stuffed up. I wanted to go to church. I knew it would have been wrong to go. What if my kids get other kids sick? As a germaphobe, I find it highly annoying when people bring their sick kids to daycare/Sunday school/gym class...you get the point. There goes our activity for the day. So now I'm fed up with the kids. I just want to light a fire and watch football. I want to talk on the phone and sound like I'm sincerely listening. I want to eat cereal and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups for dinner, not try and figure out how to get the correct food groups into my kids. Do you think the teensy carrots in Dora soup count? I want my Parent B back. I want to have an unplanned activity day and have that be okay. I want to...take a nap without Rachel coming in 30 times and saying "Is quiet time over yet?"

This blog is just a giant whine fest. I sound like one of my kids. We had a very nice weekend and we went to the Children's Museum in Milwaukee yesterday. It was great fun. And I picked up the new stationery that I ordered and it's totally awesome. Rachel painted some wonderful pictures this morning. Today my kids were really good all day until the witching hour.

But I did have my first meltdown tonight. I can't bear to have any more snot rubbed on me. Maybe that's the real benefit of a 2 parent household - the grossness gets divided between two people. (Although, sometime I'll write a blog about how as a baby Rachel only threw up on me.)My mom is coming tomorrow for a well-timed trip to help me. (Although I maintain that I didn't call her in desperation - she'd planned to visit before I had my meltdown tonight.)

Only Parent Lesson #3 - have plans. Then have plans if those plans don't work out. And then have plans if those plans don't work out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, those carrots count in the Dora soup:) As a mother of a picky eater some days you have to take what you can get.
All the best, Jennifer

7:48 PM

 
Blogger The Oakleys said...

Hi Kate. I would love to come out...I know that I cannot replace parent A...but just to help. I have been thrown-up on, pooped on, etc, as well. I am up for another challenge...just let me know. I am at your beckon call!

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Yes sister, life as an only parent sucks. I can vividly remember 15 years ago, standing by the door with a little one (whom I was done with for the day), waiting for Mark to get home from work. I remember that feeling and can't imagine the one that comes with knowing the door isn't going to open. Now you know why I started going to dinner once a week at my parents' house. Mark worked until 9pm on Thursdays and I just couldn't make it from 6am when he left until 9:30pm when he would've gotten home. I trucked myself over there, handed over a precious whiny, snotty, grandchild and had a meal cooked for me. Pure heaven in the desperate parent handbook. All I can say is, don't try and be strong all the time, you'll snap. Be luxurious and find yourself a babysitter while you take two hours to troll the grocery store aisles by yourself. Drag the crock-pot out and put dinner together during nap, so you can sit during witching hour. Find yourself a Grandma Sue to corral the kids together in a room to entertain one another while you drink gin & tonics. I truly wish I lived closer. I wouldn't be a substitute for "Parent B," but I could be another "church."

Love - Jude

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't give grandma Sue too many gin and tonics!!! I totally understand what you mean by the witching hour!!! Tim gets home and its like a football pass to him with Laney and Olivia...That sounds awful but by 5 pm most days I am ready to blow too!! They say it gets better!! Lets hope "they" know what the hell they are talking about,cause it's tough!! Hang in there!! I always wonder why there are soooo many people in this world when it's so challenging raising children!! And look at some of the people that are doing it!!? Scary!! And about the have plans lesson....soooo true for any parent!!! Or at least have a craft planned at home!! When they wander around with nothing to do all hell breaks loose!! I know, it happens here,everyday!! There's only so much we can do Kate....and you you are doing that and MORE!!! Love you....Jeri

8:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a million things I could say but I will just say this one. One day at a time. If that doesn't work, one hour at a time. If that doesn't work, one minute at a time. Before you know it, your kids will have evolved into something new and different and you will be able to look back on these early days and marvel at what God gave you the strength to do. Hugs.

3:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home