This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hope springs eternal

Thanks to those who expressed concern for me this last week. It was a tough week - it sort of slid downhill and the last blog was an accumulation of nearly a week's worth of stress. (Or did I write it on a Wednesday? In which case, it was only half a week...)

I rarely get that sad. Writing all that on the blog was a luxury - I sat here and cried and wrote. But before that, I'd cried in front of Rachel and Jake. Rachel, in an effort to make me feel better, pulled ornaments off the Christmas tree. And Jake poked me in the face. So, as you can see, crying is actually an extravagance around here that I cannot afford. And now we have a fence around our Christmas tree because the kids have broken so many ornaments.

As bad as a week can get, we also have highlights and good things. We had our annual gingerbread house decorating this year, which was really cool. All the parents were really impressed with my ability to put gingerbread houses together at this time until I finally admitted that my mom put them all together. But hey, we carried on the tradition and that was the important thing. Rachel got to hit the sledding hill in Kohler today with some friends. Jake said "banana" and "Rachel" this week. I had a lovely talk with my pastor and felt good about some recent decisions I've made. I've also been doing more prayer and meditation at night. Jim's cousin sent me a series of meditation CDs that are amazing. They really help. One of them is a "suggestion" meditation that encourages me to meditate on ways I want to improve or things I'd like to learn. So I'm meditating on being a better mom. (My example is living next-door - she's AMAZING!) I'm also meditating to balance my chakras, which, call me crazy, seems to be helping with back pain.

Alexander Pope said "Hope springs eternal from the human breast..." and I believe that to be true. I do have hope for better days to come. Yesterday wasn't my best day, and neither is today, but tomorrow might be better. Sometimes it's overwhelming being here without Jim. But I think one of the reasons that Jim loved me is that I have the ability to persevere and push on. I can look toward a new day. I might not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now, but I know there's one there. And I can move forward based on faith.

{Religious bit to follow - it's a wonder I haven't been struck by lightening yet...}

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world; Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” —John 8:12, NIV - you all know that I'm not super-churchy. (Although you'd never know by reading this blog...) But the church I go to is so NOT churchy...that I actually take good information away from it because I'm comfortable there. The first time I ever quoted anything from The Bible was on this blog. But on occasion, something really resonates with me and I believe it to be true. So I think "Hope springs eternal" and "I am the light of the world" are related. I have things giving me hope, I just need to use them. I need to lean on the resources available to me right now. My friends, my family, my community, my faith, and yes, my church.

One of my favorite sayings is "Rome wasn't built in a day". But if I go around tossing that cliche out, shouldn't I listen to it? Why are my expectations so high? Can't I do things one step at a time? Is anyone really going to fault me for not having my laundry folded right away? I doubt it. Deep breaths. It will get better. Tomorrow is a new day. I can meditate on that tonight.

And p.s. - I'm about 1/2 way through the memorial cards! Maybe I'll meditate on that tonight.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Kate -

Lovin' the look you've got going with the tree. Looks almost as good as the mini-van in the "Mom-my-ride" video! I give you a lot of credit for getting it up. I couldn't do it this year. I pulled out boxes of ornaments, handed them to Mark & the kids, then went to hide in my office. How's that for having it all together???

I'm glad you were able to continue the gingerbread tradition this year. Mom and Aunt Susie always did "paint" Christmas cookies with the four of us kids (at our house of course!). Jimmy and I really liked that it happened every year without fail. I wish I was as good as my mom and bothered to do something like that with my kids. Someday, Rach & Jake will be off at college, they'll come home for Christmas and say "Mom, let's do gingerbread houses." You'll feel great.

Keep meditating! Love - Jude

8:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh Kate, noone would fault you for not having your laundry folded! (I say that as I look at 3 baskets of unfolded laundry that have been sitting here since Saturday!) I must say that your tree looks much like ours usually does, no ornaments on the bottom-half. However, I am impressed that you have any breakable ornaments at all! Our "old" dog Kirby (translation we gave him away) knocked our tree down three times and broke EVERY glass ornament we had. That was his last Christmas! Ho Ho Ho! :)
I am glad that you are keeping up your traditions, that is so important. The gingerbread house-making looks fun and messy! I am also glad that you have found a church that isn't so churchy. I had one like that growing up and it was amazing and comforting. I am glad that you are surrounded by the people and family that you are. I wish I could be there too.
Love,
Darcy

8:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate, I am totally in awe of you. Bless you for hosting the gingerbread house party for all those little ones. Your kids (and their friends) will look back in amazement when they grow up and have a better understanding of life. In a time you could have just as easily chosen to withdraw, you chose to reach for the strength, kept on going, and gave them a great day to remember. You made it a good day! Amen.

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tradition!!! Mine seems to be the stomach bug...every year at this time I spend a day sick!!(which was Sunday)Yuck! Your tree looks great!! We bought ours 4 weeks ago at Home Depot and it's brown so we are going to get a new one tonite(maybe that will be our new tradition!!!HAHA)People...do not buy your tree at Home Depot!!! See we all have our good days and bad days!!!! I'm glad you keep blogging, I check it 2 times a day...so good to hear from you!! Miss ya, Jeri

12:18 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Gee Jeri - Did you ever think perhaps it isn't that it's a Home Depot tree, but that you bought it FOUR weeks ago!? Holy candles Batman - - I think we found someone who gets in the Christmas spirit even before James Robert did!
Love - Judi

2:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I grew up Catholic, raised my two oldest kids Lutheran, and finally truly found home at a not so churchy-church which sounds a lot like yours... I am always amazed at how God speaks to me in this place and through the people there, like never before! In very low times, I too have found my strength and hope in the John 8:12 verse.... So much so that it was the inspiration for the cross tatoo I had put on my left shoulder for my 40th birthday...

I think you are truly on the right path, finding your strength, courage, and perserverence through your faith and God. He is truly amazing, and if you let him, he will lead you into "the light of life" again!

I'll recommend another book, if you don't have it, Stormie O'Martian's--The Power of a Praying Woman! It's full of very powerful prayers to get you through your days!

9:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and one day, you'll look back and hardly recognize the person that you are right now. (And yes, He will be with you every step of the way!) Paul always said, "We'll have a better day tomorrow." Now that's the way we should all approach life, don't ya think? Continue to celebrate each small success you have and know that there are so many that are thinking about you and cheering you on.

10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home