This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, November 19, 2007

It's Official

I've turned into my mother.


It's 6:21 pm CST. Both of my kids are in bed.

Don't like the dinner I serve? Then drink your milk because that's all you're getting.

Hurry up! Get in the car!

Don't hit your brother. DON'T HIT YOUR BROTHER.

Do you know what? Santa just started watching. (To which Rachel loudly announced "Jake did it. He's my little brother. Jake.")

Jake - no-no.

Jake, no hitting. No throwing.

Don't pull out that laundry - I just folded it!

Pick up the Legos!

Don't lie in front of the vacuum. Don't tug on the cord, either. Don't wrap that cord around your neck!

{sigh}

I still have *one* holdout. I still refuse to wear sweatpants unless I'm going to work out. (No wonder you haven't seen me in sweatpants!)

And for the record: my mom was an impeccable dresser. She never once wore sweatpants. For that matter, she never wore jeans until I was in high school. She wore dress pants or skirts every day. And she cleaned the house in those clothes. She has a beautiful home and is an excellent baker. During my childhood the only time she didn't look lovely was when she was mowing the lawn. And that's because she's just gotten done running. She mowed the lawn immediately after her workout. I aspire to be such a woman.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

That's not so bad Kate...you like your mom remember?!

On the good side - this is an excerpt from a editorial in yesterday's Democrat and Chronicle...there's hope for all of us yet!

Move over, supermom, average parent is here by Lenore Skenazy

"This car climbed Mt. Washington," says the usual bumper sticker.
"This car wants to jump OFF Mt. Washington." That's the bumper sticker Patty Konjoian came up with as she and her sister were penning their book and Web site, Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid! ... The truth hit them like a ton of underachievers: Most of us are sick of perfect kids, perfect parents and worst of all, supermoms. In any event, we are in the midst of a big Anti-Perfect Mothering Moment.
On behalf of all the normal-to-slacker moms out there, I'd like to request TV, movies, magazines and advertisers to please stop showing us happy moms with every hair - and kid - in place. And if you really want to make us love you, throw in a crumpled up Burger King wrapper. ...
So don't feel bad if you're not a supermom, or not being raised by one, or not married to one. But do feel free to enjoy some moments of tortured self-doubt if you are one.
Then you'll be like the rest of us.

9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one non-supermom to another...AMEN!!! How about Burger King,Mcdonalds,Wendy's wrappers and styrofoam take home containers...all over the backseat floors,in both vehicles! And I just fed my kids pancakes for lunch after they had waffles for breakfast!!! My 2 1/2 year old had to go to the hairdressers for the 2nd time this week to fix the chop job she did last week on her now 1 inch hairdo!! As I am writing this they are screaming at each other and wrecking the just cleaned house(or should I say 2100 square foot play room) Any ways...I feel for you!! Please feel for me too!!!1 Love Jeri

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Heh. It's so wonderful when they're too little to tell time. Bedtime can be any tim you want!!! And believe me, I exploited that to the fullest. There's no shame in that. It's a valuable self-defense strategy.

I remember your Mom from Rachel's birth. She was a very lovely and elegant woman.

3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marventano Family,


Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

Castellana Family

6:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!!!

3:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home