This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

35 today

I turned 35 years old today. I look like I'm over 50. I thought all my age would appear from carousing and doing foolish things, but I seem to have accumulated some serious age over the last year. I told one of the nurses at the Vince tonight that I'm 35 and she didn't believe me. How scary is that?!?!

It was a good birthday. I went to coffee with my girlfriends today. They bought me a donut and put a candle in it. Then they and every senior citizen in the village of Kohler sang me Happy Birthday. It was pretty cool. All the seniors were there for their coffee as well - they have free coffee at Woodlake Market!

It was a good day. Last year Jim started treatment on October 23rd, so my birthday wasn't so great. I did not want it to be the same this year. I got some cleaning done. Visited with friends. Pastor Kirby's wife, Gail, and her two daughters made me an ice cream cake. (Ooh la la it was layered - delicious!) And I went to the Patients' Advisory Committee Meeting at the Vince. And after that I received the training for coaching caretakers or grief partners. I was glad I signed up to do that. Even though I know my friends would have taken care of me, I feel like I did something really productive and positive with my time. I decided how to make the best use of my birthday. My birthday has never been a huge event, but last year was a little disappointing - not because of Jim, of course - but because I hurt for Jim. This year I felt a little more in control and it was another scenario where I didn't want to wait and let the day happen to me. I wanted to decide how it would play out. And I did. And I feel good about it.

Each new thing that happens without Jim is tough. But I marched into today determined to have it go my way - not the way of the wind. So I count today as a small success. Now if I could just convince people that I'm not 50...

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!

Maybe the nurse at the Vince was surprised that you weren't YOUNGER;)

Love, Artemis, Jeff, & Wyatt

12:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!! You're not alone in looking old. My wrinkles and shadows are right there with you.
I'm proud of you for doing it your way. And there's nothing better than an ice cream cake!
xoxo Cristin Z

6:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday...you're a baby!!! Tim turned 35 last week,but he's bald so he has looked 50 since birth! Sounds like you are on the right track kid! Love ya,J.F

7:09 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATE

50 must be the universal age to feel after cancer affects someone you love when you're younger than 50! I'm 7 1/2 years older than you, and I feel, and think I look, 50 now too. On the serious (and good news) side, you may feel older, but from what I saw in the pumpkin patch pictures, you look a long ways off 50. People won't be mistaking you for the kids' grandmother in the Piggly Wiggly anytime soon.

Glad your birthday had happy times yesterday! Love, Jude

7:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kate! Remember watching the show 30-Something in college? They seemed SO OLD! HA -now we are one of them. You look fabulous my friend - no where near 50!

Homemade ice cream cake??? That is real love.

Niki

8:02 AM

 
Blogger The Oakleys said...

Happy Birthday Kate. I am in agreement that the nurse thought you looked much younger then 35...more like 25! I'm glad to hear that your friends in Kohler took care of you for your birthday. You are going to do a fantastic job with the Patient Advisory Committee. Take care!

8:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

Happy (belated) birthday wishes to you from Waterford, WI. I turned 35 a few months ago too, and it was amazing to me how I "aged" after Paul died. It seemed like two years of my life went by in the blink of an eye. I still felt 31 (the age I was when Paul died), but somehow the rest of the world (and me for that matter) went marching on. My body aged... when you are the only one to give all the baths, carry in all the groceries, run all the errands, do all the housework.. it takes a toll on you. Be kind to yourself. And, btw, you look great!

10:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The surprise from the woman at the Vince probably had more to do with the maturity and grace with which you carry yourself.

I, too, was surprised at your age - but it had NOTHING to do with your appearance! I was surprised because I am almost 2 years OLDER than you and YOU are an inspiration to me.

3:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kate....

My oldest Daughter Courtney turned 24 on October 24. I had forgotton that Jim and I had covered that years ago. As always you seem to touch us all. I only have one problem I am 49 looking at 50. My problem is that after 2 back and 3 neck operations I do feel 70 +. Keep talking to us, we need it...

Frankie Cstellana

1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See bI am so old I can not even spell my last name Castellana

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See I am so old I can not even spell my last name Castellana

1:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! You look great. That is one nice thing about having pale tanless skin tone from our Irish descendants. We wrinkle at a slower rate. (At least that is what I tell myself when I am being teased about how pale I am in the summer.) Love ya.
KJ

6:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kate! Just want to let you know that A.J., Alli, and I are still thinking of you. I am following your blog and admiring your courage and strength.
You are an inspiration.
Love, Jan

2:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home