This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Overscheduling-Because-I-Need-To-Be-Busy Complex

Well. Nothing is going on. Everything is going on. Something is going on.

The village of Kohler is pretty much afraid to leave me alone. (That's not a hint to stop calling me! Keep calling!) I have taken several people up on offers to have dinner with their families, hang out, or do things together, because right now I'm sort of afraid to be alone. If I'm alone I'll get to thinking. If I get to thinking I might start to cry. If I start to cry I might not recover.

So, in an efficient effort not to be alone or think, I've scheduled myself into a slew of activities that allow me to focus on everything else except the fact that Jim isn't here. We've had dinner with people almost every night. I've signed up for two Bible studies - which, given my background, is hysterical. (Although I'm learning, so that's a healthy diversion.) I've signed up to be an editor for the school's Wellness Committee. I signed Jake and I up for Mom and Tot swim lessons. I'm on the Patient Advisory Committee at the Vince. We have playdates in the new basement. Even my time to grieve is "scheduled" - I'm working on a Grieving Journal, reading books about mourning (good to know that some of my things are completely normal) and creating a list of new things to read or do. The only tv I'm watching is The Bachelor. Last night after Bible study my friend Susan (who watched the kids so that I could go to this Bible study) organized the sympathy and memorial cards for me.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot avoid the fact that he's not here. Yesterday a water main broke on our street. (I didn't know that kind of thing went on in Kohler but apparently there was a rogue pipe they didn't know about...) After the water main broke they fixed it, but there was the distinct smell of sewage in the basement. I, of course, assumed that we'd all be dead by morning due to some sort of noxious gas released by sewage. But today I worked up the nerve to call the village and they gave me a fix (pour water down the drain in the basement).

Things that are the hardest for me right now:
1. Jim's old jobs. The ShopVac cheated me out of a good cleaning session the other day and I got furious and yelled at Jim. Then I felt bad for yelling at him.
2. Making any kind of phone call that I don't want to make, which is every phone call. But mostly the ones to some kind of business where I have to schedule something, ask for something, stand up for myself, or assert myself in any way. I'm too tired to do that right now.
3. Remembering anything outside my name or my kids' names. I've always been flakey in the memory department - I'm at borderline dementia.

Things that I've had success at so far:
1. Making phone calls that I haven't wanted to make.
2. Figuring out the ShopVac issue.
3. Our wireless router pooped out two days ago. Having wireless is a big treat for me. Unfortunately, Judi and Jim set up the wireless router so I didn't know how to fix it. But I did fix it. Admittedly, my dad is here and he helped me. BUT, we are both of Ferguson descent (read: un-handy) so I count fixing the router as a major success.

Things I'm planning to tackle in the near future:
1. The pumpkin patch.
2. Carving pumpkins.
3. The life insurance company.
4. Visiting with our insurance agent.
5. Meeting with a financial advisor.
6. Making phone calls. Or at least picking up the voicemail more often than I am now, which is every 2nd day or so.

All of the above are things I would have done easily with Jim here. All of the above are things that I don't want to do alone. I've asked my dad to attend several of the meetings with me. Truthfully, I felt like a sap asking him to come with me. But here's how I figure it: when we get distressing news at the doctors office, they typically advise us to bring someone else with us that can hear things that we'd miss because we're stunned. So it's like that. My dad is my second set of ears, and he'll catch the things I might miss. It's just that it's much more socially acceptable at this age to go with someone who didn't raise you. At least I haven't moved in with them. Yet.

The mourning book I'm reading is *really* interesting - it turns out that I'm completely normal. Even down to the rarely-crying factor. And the memory loss. Since I've determined that this is grieving, I'm giving myself permission to take everything one day at a time. I count each small success or phone call as a major break. Unfortunately I'm rewarding myself with Snickers bars (thanks, Aimee!).

The last few days have been busy and scary and emotionally draining. But we're pulling through. Rachel isn't showing signs of becoming an axe murderer. Yet. That might come after we move in with my parents. Tee hee.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Congrats on the successes! Take it one day at a time and only do those things you can handle today. The world won't stop if you put off making a phone call for a day or two, and it doesn't make you any less strong - just smart about knowing what you can handle in your life today.

Feel blessed that you have your Dad to go with you to these meetings. I'd be calling my Dad too. Just because you can do some of these things alone, doesn't mean you have to. And you're 100% correct - because you're grieving, you just don't have the memory or ability to focus for some of these important decisions you need to make. It's wise to take someone along who can focus and has your best interest at heart.

And don't hesitate to call me with those computer questions - Jimmy did. Although the secret to most all of them is - unplug, wait a minute, and power up again!

Love - Jude

7:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

I too hate making/taking phone calls and fixing things. I say continue to avoid them :)

I think it's great you are doing Bible studies. I was recently invited to join one but I declined because I'm afraid I might debate and challenge things too much and they'd want to kick me out! Let me know how yours go.

Keeping busy is good...just don't over-volunteer for things. Being overwhelmed and grieving won't be good. Keep busy with the kids, friends and your family that WILL help you get through this.

Here are some common fix-it tips that Dan and I have learned over the years because we are as backwards as they come when it comes to matters around the house. We've embarrassed ourselves with service professionals so you don't have to...

1. If the heat or A/C isn't working well or to full capacity, it's probably the filter. You don't need to call the HVAC guy who will just come to your house and pull out the embarrassingly-filthy filter.

2. If water starts to come through a lighting fixture in the kitchen, it's not necessarily a broken pipe and a reason to call the plumber after hours. It could be that your 8 yr. old son had the shower curtain OUTSIDE the tub and the water is spilling onto the bathroom floor in buckets.

3. Sometimes a perceived electrical problem is just a switch that hasn't been flipped. A breaker, a light switch that's hidden, etc...check those before bringing in an electrician who will stand in front of you and flip the switch for a $100 service call fee.

Taking care of things on your own sucks but I'm sure Jim's handiness has worn off on you somewhat, and you'll be fine. If we do anything else stupid, we'll be sure to tell you so you don't make the same mistake.

Hang in there girl -- you are doing great.

Email me so I have your current email address ncampbell@zoominternet.net.

8:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're doing wonderful. Jimmy would be proud of your shop vac accomplishment!!Right now you need to do things that you can handle,you have your whole life to make phone calls.Me, I'm not a phone person so I understand that part! And stay busy but don't wear yourself out!!(easier said than done)Thanks for blogging and letting us all know how you are doing....we all have you on our minds!!! And it kinda keeps me connected to Jim in a way!!Love you Kate.
Love, Jeri

8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

Just wanted to let you know that I think of you EVERYDAY... and that the words you convey bring back so many memories of how I felt after Paul died.

You are lucky to have a great support network! You fill find that in time it may begin to fade. Eventually it will whittle down to a dedicated bunch of friends; in the end, I learned who my true friends (angels) were.

If you ever need to reach out to someone that doesn't live in Kohler and can offer a different perspective, I'm here.

Sending you strength and a hug,

Janine :)

8:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

One day at a time.. That's how we pray for you, one day at a time.

Frankie and Phillip Castellana

6:33 PM

 
Blogger Christy (Fausnaught) Lutz said...

Kate,

I just want you to know I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. I feel horrible though that I was reading faithfully but have not looked at it for a couple of months. I kept reminding myself that I needed to check in with it and it was right when Jim passed.
I completely admire how you have handled this whole situation and how encouraging you are for the rest of us to deal with the challenges of daily living. Your kids are so lucky to have you and they will appreciate everything you do for them so much when they get older. You will have such a special bond not that you don't already. Again, I wish I would have caught up with your blog sooner and been more timely.

PS-You are an awesome and enjoyable writer. Only you could turn this time of your life into something enjoyable to read and make someone have tears streaming down their face and then make them laugh all at the same time. That is a true talent.

Hang in there and know you and your family are in my family's prayers each and every day.

Christy

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I am Beth Niki Campbell's friend from Pittsburgh- anyways, I pray for you daily and wish you were here so we could drink some wine together! I haven't read your blog in a week or so and saw this about the wireless router.. I just did the same thing-- that is a TREMENDOUS success!! I am of the same genes (untechnical or handy)-- You go girl-- I know that the your are a survivor and will be ok- Each entry I read, I really understand what you are saying-- I praise you for saying it!

If you ever need a friend I would love to be an ear!

Beth-- pblc@connecttime.net

ps-- lastly I just read that Niki Campbell is offering you assistance in home projects.. I am truely afraid for you!! haha-- :)

7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home