This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Fall

Well, grief finally struck. I've sort of been hanging around waiting for it. I finally cried last night. But, I was right in my assessment - crying really doesn't help. I was still sad and dragging when I got up this morning. I found a website last night for widows and I was shocked to see that there were people that were visiting the site that have been widowed for years. I realized then that I'm in a different place than most people. My kids are most certainly what spur me on and force me to continue with a normal day. I just can't not hold it together, and I honestly feel that it's selfish and cruel to the kids to go off the deep end. That being said, I got a chance to cry last night when Rachel, thankfully, wasn't around and didn't wake up.

Life churns forward. I am sort of torn - Rachel's asking me about visiting a pumpkin patch. Of course I'll take the kids. But fall was one of Jim's favorite times of year. Time to break out his flannel shirts and LL Bean boots. We have such fond memories of the pumpkin patch. As you know, we were married for eight years before we decided to have kids. We even visited the pumpkin patch before kids. And it was at a pumpkin patch that I finally got the revelation that kids might be in our overall plan. {Questions to follow - I am not looking for advice, this is a blog, and therefore a recording of my mental blather rather than an information gathering forum} So the question is...do I charge into things head-on and take the kids, regardless of how painful it is for me? Or do I ask other families if we can go with them, in the hopes that it won't be such a lonely experience? Why do I feel the need to have lots of people around to make it not lonely? I'm eventually going to have to accept that we'll be doing things without Jim. Asking if we can tag along with other families won't necessarily make it easier. It just means there will be more people there.

Things that I miss about Jim in the fall
- That fall was his favorite season
- That he carried a flannel shirt like a flag
- That he wore flannel like a guy
- His beautiful, soft skin, especially in fall - still tan and warm from the sun
- How warm his hugs were
- The fact that he carved all of our pumpkins
- The way he held our kids at the pumpkin patch
- That he put up with my love of Halloween and even nurtured it by occasionally helping me set up elaborate Halloween decorations

One of my all-time favorite pictures of Jim (and there are many) is this one:

I can feel what a good dad he is in this picture. I know how his heart is bursting with love. As Judi said in her eulogy - Jim didn't have to try to be a good dad, he just was a good dad. This is the picture of true love.

Nothing feels right anymore. Regardless of whether we go on our own or with other people, the pumpkin patch is going to be tough. But I'm figuring that Jim will be with us. And he'll cradle Rachel and Jake just as before, making sure they pick the very best pumpkins.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate-
That is one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Rachel will Love it someday. God Bless.

9:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

It's so nice that you're a shutterbug and now you and the kids have so many moments in Jim's life to reflect upon together - each with a story to tell, a memory to stir up and a piece of Daddy that Rachel and Jake
can cherish forever.

I think sometimes new life helps heal the pain of losing another life. I can remember times of grief, after losing a loved one, when, in the midst of all the sorrow, the presence of CHILDREN still warmed the heart and brought a smile.

Rachel and Jake may be your REASONS for keeping it together, but I imagine they'll also play a huge role in healing. What tremendous gifts from your marriage to Jim.

11:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture Kate. Personally, I'd go to the pumpkin patch with some other people. Make it an outing with friends -- Jim would like that I think.

The first year is going to be tough but the pumpkin patch is a good memory and eventually you'll feel ready to venture there on your own with the kids.

You are doing great, by the way. You've cried but not thrown a beer at anyone yet. :-)

I hope you got my email...i have an old email address for you.

take care.

niki

6:06 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Today there just aren't words, just tears. He was the best dad. And all of this just stinks.

Don't worry about what kind of widow you'll be...you'll be you and that will be just right - - just right for you, just right for Rach & Jake, and just right to keep your memories of Jim close to your heart. Parents, siblings, children, all get to mourn for a lifetime, but for some reason we seem to think spouses need to move at a different pace. Mourn how you want to mourn, for as long as you need to mourn. Be you and it will be perfect.

Love - Jude

7:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate...
Hang in there. We are all very proud of you. I know Jimmy will be there with you & the kids when you go to the pumpkin patch. However, Please!! for the love of God do not put that stupid "Safe candy here!" witch out. noboby ever like that thing.
XOXOXO
The Milko's

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Jim was a fabulous Dad. It oozed from every pore. You just knew when you looked at him, that he was totally and completely in love with his kids. That picture is just proof of what people who knew him felt when they were with him.

I don't know what else to tell you, because I honestly don't know how the hell I would cope in your shoes.

I'm glad you're blogging about it though. Who knows when one of us may find ourselves in the same situation? What you're saying here is important.

1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear from you!!I know Jimmy loved Halloween...we used to trick-or-treat together until we were 17...hahaha!Just kidding...14. One year some jerk stole my candy right out of my hand(it was an easy grab,I was a dice so only my hands stuck out) and Jim chased him for a mile but never caught the *&$#...What a guy!!! I think of him this time of the year a lot!! You're right,he loved Fall! I miss you all Love ya,Jeri...e-mail me!!

2:06 PM

 
Blogger Debba said...

Kate,
You are one of the strongest most inspirational women I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Stay strong but cry too. Go to the pumpkin patch. Our beloved departed live on in our memories! You have preserved so many special times in pictures like these. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Much love,
Debba

3:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate
Remembering one of your Holloween Party's back in Atlanta. Dressing up as a Muskee Marator (sp??) of course in honor of Jim and his creation. Who would have thought that the costume was going to win first place. You and your family our in our thoughts. Kraig and I are so sorry we could not make it to Rochester for the service. I hope you keep writing.
Kim, Kraig & Sidney Milko

8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home