This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It happens at the strangest times

Well I thought I'd be a crying gelatinous blob by now. So far I'm okay. As I said yesterday I'm still in overdrive. I went to the bank this morning and sat down for my appointment, totally fine. But when it came time to hand the guy Jim's death certificate, I sort of blanked out. I could see that he was talking to me, but...that was about it. Everything he said for around 10 minutes was just gone.

I also had an interesting experience yesterday that I keep relaying in my head. When I called the insurance company to file a claim, the woman I spoke with on the phone told me that her husband had a one pound tumor removed two weeks ago. She said that they'd been informed that it was malignant. When I asked her if his cancer had metasticized, she said "what does metasticized mean?" What does metasticized mean? Oh boy. I told her to get a pen. I told her to buy a pad of paper and start writing down and asking questions. I told her to go buy There's No Place Like Hope. She started talking to me about his recommended treatment options and I realized that I wanted to keep talking to this woman. I'm not sure where I wanted to go with the conversation...but I wanted to help her. She started me on my way with the insurance company and I wished her the best of luck. I wish I could control every cancer scenario. I wish I could help people figure it all out that don't know to ask questions. I wish my efforts had been enough for Jim. I wish I wasn't calling the insurance company. I wish Jim was here.

People keep telling me that I'm so strong and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just in denial. I just sort of expect that he's going to come back soon. Like he went on a vacation. Even though I'm talking to the ashes, I'm just using them as a focal point until Jim gets back from his vacation. Just like when I had postpartum depression when I had Rachel and I wondered when we were going to be done babysitting. Denial, I guess.

It seems unnatural that I'm calm. Maybe this is the calm before the storm. Don't get me wrong - I'm still a mess. I'm just not a crying mess. If too many people talk to me at once, my brain shuts down. If someone asks me a question while I'm trying to complete something, my brain shuts down and I freak out. If someone asks me a series of questions my brain shuts down. If there's any kind of running background noise, my brain gets aggravated. I can't even listen to the radio in the car. It's just too much. I can only complete one.thing.at.a.time. Annoying. And apparently my decision making skills have gone out the window. Today I couldn't even choose between hot or cold tea. We're talking TEA. Not like they're asking me to settle the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

Grief seems to be striking me at strange times. I thought I'd be most sad when I'm alone, running errands, reading, etc. Those were the times I was most sad about Jim's cancer. Better yet, those are the times I allowed myself to be sad about Jim's cancer. I assumed I'd be sad when I was alone, but I feel most sad with a group of people. I'm most sad at night. Turning out the light seems like a monumentally bad idea. Once the light is out, I'm so exhausted that most nights my head barely hits the pillow before I'm asleep. But that's because I stay up later than I should because I don't want to turn out the light. I'm sad when I have trouble with my tenses - I jump between present and past tense when talking about Jim. When I hear myself speak in the present tense, I immediately (and silently, thankfully ) tell myself "Present tense! You're not supposed to use present tense or people will think you can't let go!" But when I speak in the past tense, I immediately (and silently, thankfully) tell myself "Past tense! You're not supposed to use the past tense! It's too soon!" Um, are these the kinds of things my brain should be quibbling over? I think not.

I fear going to the grocery store. Every week I used to buy things special for Jim that I knew he liked. Not the same things, mind you. I used to buy Pringles one week, rootbeer another. His favorite cereal (Cracklin' Oat Bran). He loves/loved (argh!) plums. He liked cooked carrots, not raw. And he loved chips and salsa. And cheese in a jar. Yuck. Am I going to be one of those women that has a meltdown in Aisle 6 at the Piggly Wiggly and no one knows why?

Am I ever going to be normal again? (Or, at least, as "normal" as I was before?) Am I ever going to quit overthinking everything? If I cry, will it help, or will it just make me feel worse? When I look at pictures of Jim, I feel sad, but mostly, I feel happy. I feel happy for the times we shared and for the solid documentation that we had a heck of a lot of fun together and did a lot of cool stuff.

I feel guilt. Guilt that he didn't make it. Guilt that I am also a little happy for him - that he's no longer suffering. Guilt that I'm messing up the tenses. Guilt that I feel happy when I look at pictures of Jim. Everything seems to be so contradictory in my head right now.

I read a book on grief that talked about people shedding buckets and buckets of tears. I looked through the book and the quiz at the end. I match all of the symptoms, except crying and anger. I guess I have enough to think about without worrying whether or not I'm grieving the "right" way. I guess it will come to me as it happens. Whether I'm alone or in a group, whether it's day or night, and whether I'm using the present or past tense.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kate...you are grieving as YOU should.

It is amazing there is a quiz at the end of a book on grieving. Always a quiz. You are doing what works for you right now. That might change tomorrow or next week or next year but right now you are doing what is right for YOU.

I'm pretty sure part of Piggly Wiggly training is how to deal with meltdowns.

Keep writing. Writing is good. It's what you've always done so well and it will get you through those quiet times when you don't want to shut the light off.

Take care and know that we are all continuing to keep you in our thoughts.

niki

9:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

I didn't cry a lot either. There is no "right" way to grieve. Grief is going to come and go, for the rest of your life. It will ebb and flow, change over time, but it will never go away. You will always miss Jim. It's good to be happy for him. You will probably find yourself still wanting to save him. You are already reaching out to others, and that helped me a lot too (still does I guess!) It is normal to be sad when you are around others. You will feel like an outsider, not part of the group. This is a "couples" world and I remember how hard it was to all of a sudden be an outsider looking in. Everyone else seemed to be able to go with their "normal" lives... I wondered why I was chosen to be a widow. I chose to be grateful. Grateful that I was able to learn such important life lessons at such a young age. You asked if you will ever be "normal" again? The answer is no. You are going to become a "new normal." Life as you knew it with Jim is gone. Your family has changed and now you must learn how to be an only parent. I know all too well how tired you are, but God will give you the strength to push forward.

You are going to be okay. I promise.

Love,

Janine

9:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my father died, I coped with it by handling the business that needed to be done. I remember the trip to the banks and the insurance company. I felt like I could not go on but I could not stop either. Since there is no other choice, life just keeps moving forward. I remember how weird it was to see the world continue on as if nothing happened. How could it be when loved one was gone. My hardest moments came out of nowhere. I would be shopping and see a family together and I would feel intense despair. I would see a shirt in a store and think that he would like it and realize that I would not be giving him anymore presents. I would have something that I wished to share with him and realize that I could not share with him my stories anymore. These moments of sadness come out of nowhere. When I feel really sad and down, I remember how sick he was before he passed. It helps me to be thankful that he is now okay. It is so hard to be the one left behind to carry on. Everything that you have been through has made you strong. There really isn't much else that life can show you that is worse than this. You will get through and feel happiness again.

11:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breathe. That's all you have to do right now. Isreal and Palestine; they just need air conditioning over there. Everyone makes such a big deal of things when it's hot.

6:52 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Well, that previous anonymous post said it all and just right.

Exhaustion and coffee are helping me make it through my days. I'm comfortable being so tired I want to fall over - because I'm just too tired to cry. I figure eventually the rest will come and so will the absolute flood of tears and perhaps anger. There's quite a bit of that lurking in there too.

I think of Jim, you, Rach and Jake all the time. If thoughts to the heavens can send the energy of the universe to support you, there's enough there to carry you for a while.

7:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate-
People frequently say "it's OK to cry" which is true, but I also think it's ok NOT to cry.

I think you ARE grieving; the way you need to, not the way a book says you should. Please consider joining a support group. If you need help finding one let me know and I will try to help.

Linda

8:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're gonna make it, Kate! You'll have scars, but you'll also be a stronger, happier person for having lived through your love and experiences with Jim. Nothing can ever take that away.

Jim's obituary appeared in the Rochester D&C today. It's a nice picture of him too.

Travel safely and savor the time with your family on the drive.

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I don't think there is a "right" way to grieve. Whatever works for you is the right way. I think that you and Jim dealt with the reality of his death a long time ago. It makes perfect sense to me that you're not crying buckets and buckets because of that, and because you are happy that he is no longer suffering. And there is NOTHING wrong with that.

When my grandmother died of Alzheimer's, there was a lot of sadness yes, but also relief, because we all knew how much she would have hated what she had become. We were happy that she had been released from the indignity of her disease.

Also, you have writing to help you reconcile all your thoughts and feelings, and you have the added bonus of helping others with your words.

Our thoughts are with you every day.

11:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To each their own.
Do what you feel, when you feel.
There is no right or wrong way. If it changes its course, then so be it. We all have our own opinions on how to handle something like this, but we are all individuals. Those that will be there for you, know that there are no wrong ways and will support, love and care for you no matter what!!!!! All I can say is that you are an inspiration and keep writing. You have a gift and I can start reading your blog, cry and then laugh and be so moved and touched. Keep your chin up, drive safely. We will see you Saturday.
Jason

12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, Jim wouldn't want you to sit around and cry buckets,he would want you to focus on your children,yourself and the wonderful memories he has left you with. You are definitely not in denial...it's a fact you are very strong!! You are teaching all of us a great lesson!!!! One of which is reading your blog..it sure helps me get through this!!!!

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate-
You amaze me with your strength and compassion. Being happy when you look at a picture of Jim is a good thing. You should be happy...maybe your story didn't end the way either of you had planned BUT you shared a deep love and friendship that is so rate and special and so evident to this day. There is no right or wrong way to grieve...only your way. Don't question the process instead go where it takes you - eventually you will arrive at a place full of more hope and peace than despair. Hold you babies tight! Know that Jim is watching over you all and that the love and prayers of many are with you and your family!
Have a safe journey to Rochester!
MC

5:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not only AMAZED by your writings but the people that respond are amazing!!! Keep it up all of you!!!!!

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate -

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I just learned of Jim's death from a friend living in Rochester, NY. I went to Rush-Henrietta HS as well and rememebr Jim.

When I googled to get more informtion, I found your blog. I am thankful to have this blog to gain appreciation of the journey you, Jim and your families have endured.

I have a friend recently diagnosed with stage IV cancer and your blog has also helped educate me on how to support him.

I wish you and your children peace in the future months and years to come.

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Kate,

You are an incredible writer. Keep it up! It's not only therapy for you, it's also therapy for all of us. Your blog is so powerful. Thank you for this, Kate and for sharing this journey so we can follow your footsteps.

Grieve as you need to give. There is no right or wrong way.

Our thoughts and prayers.
Jan

1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have had a year to ponder the awful “what ifs” and to temper your expectations. Perhaps this is why you are able to be somewhat composed during this difficult time. Plus, it is exhausting to have a sick loved one and even more so to be directly responsible for their care. This outcome is so unjust… but as you said, Jim is at peace now and this is something to feel good about in light of his tragically premature passing.

Leave the “gelatinous blubbering messes” to all of us who will be at the Memorial Service this weekend.

You have shown tremendous strength through this past year, I am sure that you will persevere in this manner… although I truly wish you didn’t have to.

3:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home