This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Angels in Flannel - or something like that

Well, they say it takes a village. Today half the village of Kohler and several guys from our church came over to paint our porch. Last summer we did A LOT of work on the front of the house, and we painted the front of the porch to make it presentable. We left the side and the back of the porch unpainted, as well as one of the windows on the other side of the house.

When our friends Ken and Biz offered to paint, I pretty much pictured...well, the two of them painting. Boy was I wrong! TEN GUYS showed up to paint today. I almost fell over. It's not that ten of them showed up - it's that ten guys organized to all be in one place that didn't involve poker or football. Just kidding. I was just bowled over by the outpouring of friendship (guy style) and just downright goodness.

So today, eleven guys (eleven counting Jim Sr.) - Ken, Biz, Sandoval, Jay S., George, Brian, Chris, Jay M., Dave, and Mark all showed up to make our porch look respectable. It was like an episode of This Old House. These guys were amazing. Working in unison, eating lots of food (planned and delivered by their lovely wives), and listening to 80s music. They removed all the old screens (damaged from the vines the previous owner had let grow onto them), painted everything, built new screens, fixed the porch door, painted the exterior door on the top of the porch, painted the entire top of the porch including the spindles, and painted the window on the other side of the house. And the window on the other side of the house was no easy feat - second floor, only to be accessed from the right (plus the fact that no one was left-handed) on a very high extension ladder placed on a muddy patch of garden. And when they were done * poof * everything was cleaned up like they'd never been there.

I know I said it today guys, but thank you. Thank you to you and your families, who all gave up a full Saturday to paint our porch and check our biggest task off our list. Angels come in all shapes and sizes. Today they came dressed ready to paint.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

You've said it before, and I'll say it again, you were guided out of Atlanta to Kohler for a reason. The town has been full of angels looking out for you. Today was such a wonderful outpouring of friendship and love. Kudos to the guys!!

8:46 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

You are so incredibly lucky to have a neighborhood support sytem like that. You know how rare that is here. What great, great guys.

9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I,too, wish to thank all of the guys that showed up. They willingly asked, "What's next" and proceeded to run for tools, run for this and that. One of the guys came bearing fried chicken and french frys and said, "I can't paint but I like to eat so here". I was there and witnessed these "angels" perform. I thank them as well.
Jim's Dad ...

8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim and Kate,

The folks here on Beaver Creek Macedon heard you are in need of some prayers...and we are sending tons your way!!!! We have many good memories of you guys here!!!
We are sending good wishes and prayers your way!!!

Patty and Dave McMillan

8:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe the suppoirt you are receving from your neighborhood and friends! That is incredible and a blassing in itself.

Hang in there Jim - We love you,

Tom and Kristy

3:05 PM

 
Blogger becky Ferguson said...

Kate...Jim... I love you two so much. JIM be STRONG.. You HAVE it in YOU. I have SEEN it in YOU! You are my woodworking and snowmobiling king! You need to teach Kevin how to do it.! P.S. Thats at least 10 more years!!(come on.. it's Kev.)!! Kathleen.. (I mean KATE!!) I never had a sister and I couldn't have wished for a better one. YOU HAVE GOT ME.. NO MATTER WHAT.. and I will be here forever for you.
I love my Marventano's!

I LOVE YOU
Jim, Kate, Rachel and Jake

4:05 AM

 
Blogger Greg Wright said...

I wish I could have been there, but I am burning up in the Tennessee heat. Kate and Jim keep up the faith!

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home