This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Friday, August 31, 2007

Letting Go

Well, the Labor Day Weekend isn't the most opportune time to post a blog, but this is really the first chance I've had. Sorry.


As I mentioned in my last blog, Jim isn't doing very well. We met with Dr. Haid on Wednesday, and Jim has decided that he is ready to stop treatment. It was a very emotional day for us. I think we knew in our hearts that Jim was done with treatment, but hearing him voice it was tough. I don't know if he even really knew he was going to make that decision until we walked into Dr. Haid's office. We'd considered doing the microspheres again for pain relief, but Dr. Haid gently pointed out that Chicago is a long way to go to get the same kind of pain relief that they can provide here with other medications. We agreed.


While we were at The Vince on Wednesday all of the nurses came in to say goodbye to Jim. Some of them were really crying. Even Dr. Haid looked a little teary. It's tough to say goodbye to a team of caregivers like that. Jim won't be able to travel back to The Vince - it's becoming increasingly harder for him to move around.


We had an appointment with hospice today, and it went really well. I was scared out of my mind, and Jim was a little nervous, but it was a good thing to do. One of our favorite nurses (Stacy) came over for moral support. One of our favorite 2K nurses (Chris) stopped over just before that, and really calmed our nerves. We've opted to work with hospice because Jim would like to stay home as long as possible, if not to the end. There's a new private hospice program in Sheboygan that came highly recommended. We had a few questions, but mostly (for once, in my case) we just listened. I didn't have many questions because truthfully, I didn't know what to ask. Before today I had no idea what hospice entailed or what it was all about.


Jim and I are both at peace with things. Although this has been a difficult process, I can't imagine anything worse than making the whole scenario harder by holding onto someone who is ready to go. And Jim has said that he is ready. I am disappointed and sad. We gave cancer one hell of a fight. And cancer didn't beat us. I am sad to say that it doesn't seem as though our miracle is going to happen. But looking at the small miracles, we are a happy family. We've had a tough year, but it's also been a good one. We've laughed a lot, spent a lot of time together, and done things we never thought we could do. We've been truly appreciative of our time together and time with our family and friends.

I choose to look at this as not giving up, but letting go - letting go of the cancer, of the fight, of Jim. I truly feel that we need to let him go in peace, and that holding on is the absolute wrong thing to do. Jim's been able to see Jake grow into a little boy - he was there for Jake's first birthday, haircut, for his first steps, and his first words. Jim celebrated his 38th birthday this year. We celebrated our 12th anniversary. And he got to celebrate Rachel's birthday. He will see her off to her first day of school. He's played games with her, read her stories, and enjoys the time he has with his little girl. Rachel truly idolizes him - nothing will ever change that relationship or mutual feeling between them. Jim and I have also had the chance to say most of the things we wanted to say.

Over the next few weeks, we'll be spending as much time together as possible. Jim's parents and sister will be here this week. One of my brothers and his girlfriend are here right now. And as things begin to wind down, my parents will come back to spend a little more time with Jim. Jim's five best friends will be here next weekend for a visit. Everyone is going to want to spend some time alone with Jim - and we'll work hard to make sure that happens.

Thank you for all your cards, phone calls, and support. We are not answering the phone much at this point because it's too tiring for Jim to talk, and I'm running around with the kids. Don't worry - we're not screening your call, we're just not answering ANY calls. :)

We truly appreciate all the offers for help. We are taking people up on things. We need help. Amy Biznek and Susan Senti are arranging meals if anyone is interested in contributing that way. I need help with playdates for Rachel. We're going to need other things...but I don't know what. I cannot express the depth of our gratitude - to our friends, family, and tremendous support network. Thank you for all you've done for us. I know we're asking for more - but please know that your favors are so appreciated.

Thank you for reading the blog and supporting us through this journey. Even if you didn't know us before, I hope you feel that you know us now by reading the blog. Jim is the most amazing person I've ever met, and it's obvious from your show of support that many of you feel the same way. Please pray for us. Please pray for grace and healing. Please pray for our families as we prepare to let go of Jim.

By the way - the card count is up to 1301. I will continue to update the blog and let everyone know how Jim is doing. We are blessed every day with the gift of love and friendship.

25 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Kate....I'm so sad, truly, for all of you. But I can understand letting go. You're right, cancer did not beat you. I want you to know how much I admire your strength, your positivity, your grace. Letting go is a graceful way to telling cancer to fuck off...it can't have it's way with Jim anymore.

I wish we could see Jim again, but we won't be up there any time soon. I wish I could help. I wish I wasn't so far away. I'm glad that you have wonderful people supporting you through this, though I wish I could be one of them.

Tell Jim that we are thinking of him. We love him. We applaud him for the fight he has put up. He did not take cancer lying down.

When Rachel was born, Jim took her, while I held your hand as you were being stitched up. But I looked over at one point, and he was holding her...gazing down at her with a look of such intense love and pride in his eyes....

That is how I will always remember him.

Love to all of you.

12:01 PM

 
Blogger The Pruntys said...

Kathleen,
Although we're cousins, we have rarely seen each other more than once a year or so on a trip to Wisconsin or at a family wedding - so I don't think we've ever REALLY come to know each other well. But I feel like I have come to know you and Jim better as I've followed your blog. And I can tell you that it is clear to me that you and Jim have lived more fully and loved more passionately than most people ever dream of. I think I can speak for all of us who read the blog when I say that you and Jim clearly have something extraordinary. And while it may seem like it's being cut unjustifiably short - I can tell that you've lived and loved more in your 12 years of marriage than most people do in a long lifetime. You should be proud. I'm sure that you are.

We are praying for you and love you.

Love,
Kelly and Kevin

2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog some time back when I was scouring the internet trying to find some information to help my father. He had colon cancer but has since passed. I understand exactly the emotions that are in play with your family right now. My father also decided when it was time to discontinue treatment and, while it was hard, we respected his decision. I will continue to pray for Jim's physical healing and for your family to be uplifted knowing that all things are possible through God who strengthens us. God bless you. Beth

2:33 PM

 
Blogger rozanne said...

Kate, I am just so sorry. I'm thinking of you, Jim, and your families. I wish I could be there to take Rachel on a playdate with Danny. (I just couldn't tell him that Rachel's older than him--even though it's only one day!)

With love and hugs,

~Rozanne

3:17 PM

 
Blogger Tara said...

Hi Jim and Kate,
I am Joel's little sister Tara... just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Jim you have always meant so much to my brother. You are positive energy and you have and will touch many lives for years and years. Best wishes for you and your family at this tough time.

5:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jim. You don't know me, but I've read your blog all the way through and have been following Jim's progress for the last couple of months.

I have prayed for Jim and your family and will continue to pray for all of you.

I wish you peace during your journey together.

Tina

7:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
I am so sad for you. However I applaued the fight you and Jim are giving this terrible disease. You two are the stongest people I know. You are truly an inspiration to us all. I am thinking of all of you and keeping you in my prayers.
We love you,
John, Jennifer, & Kara

9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
You are one of the finest people i know. Our time in the ATL was so much fun. I so enjoyed working next door to you. Our 3 hour lunches, our beer cap hiding at Lisa's house, everything....Your in our thoughts and we will hope for the best for you and your family.
Kraig, Kim and Sidney

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

Dear Jim, Kate and Children.

This is the first time I have read your blog. I am at a loss for words, but want you to know that your family has been in my thoughts and prayers since I learned of your battle with cancer (about a year ago).

God Bless all of you.

Sincerely.... Sue Miller
(NTID - friend of Janet's)

2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate & Jim-
I know that must have been the hardest decision you ever made. Jimmy- I will love you always. Kate- you are an amazing woman. You are both blessed to have had eachother. I know I am far away, but if there is anything at all that I can do, please do not hesitate to ask. My thoughts & prayers are with your whole family. Jimmy- In case you just felt something.... I just "smooshed" your nose!

Love to all-

Aimee (La Rock) Ciulla

3:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate... my heart pours out to you today... as it did everyday I readtheblog. Reading through your journey with Jim has been amazing for me. I read what you have wrote and feel like I have known you and Jim for YEARS! You have put to words so beautifully (and many times... hysterically) what I think every patient and their caregivers go through.

I am sad for you... that it is time to let go. But, proud of you and Jim, that you can see it is time and you know it is the right thing to do. Letting go peacefully and gracefully and lovingly is one of the strongest acts we can do for our loved ones.

I can see you are surrounded by family and friends who love you both very dearly... and give you much support and kindness. God Bless you and your family, Kate, as you go through this.

God's peace to Jim on his journey home.

Sincerely,
Sara Kaffine (book club)

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Jim and Kate-- my heart breaks for you as you enter the journey of letting go. Jim, you WILL be at our 25th high school reunion because you are in our hearts. In this way you were already at our 20th too. I hope you enjoyed watching the video and that it made you smile to see your friends still crazy as ever. Your babies are blessed to have parents who share so much love. That love stays forever... God bless you both. Joanne (Fusare) White

11:52 PM

 
Blogger Becky Ferguson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:29 AM

 
Blogger Becky Ferguson said...

Both Of You...
Listen to The Sientist.. by Cold Play Right Now!

I Love You Both Too much for my heart to take!

1:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marventano Family,
I came across your blog via a link on a family friends' blog page. I have been following your journey ever since. I think of you often and though I'm not the praying kind, I find myself praying for you daily. I'm praying even harder now. Actually, I'm still hoping for a miracle. Cherish this time, you all are heroes and are so blessed to have eachother.

8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim & Kate, you've moved all of us. Your battle of the last year, your successes, your kids, your ups and downs. Kate, we've never met, but just through your blog, I feel like we would have been great friends. (I work with Jim). Jim, you are amazing. You balanced work and "real life" so eloquently. And reminded me to do so many times. I pray that you have relief from the pain. I pray for remission. I pray for days filled with joy for you and Kate. You have definitely seized the day in all you have done. We all will miss you, you've changed each of us as you've touched our lives.

Letting go is one of the hardest decisions to make. And you're doing it with so much grace! Your kids will always have your love with them.

I know it seems trite, but if you need anything, please do not hesitate to call/ask. We all are here for you and Kate and the kids.

9:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim and Kate,
I am an '88 graduate of RH and, although we have mutual friends, I didn't actually KNOW Jim in high school. But I feel like I do now.

I was shocked and saddened to learn of Jim's illness just last week. Since then I've spent much of my time reading or thinking about what I've read on your blog.

Kate, you are truly an amazingly strong, talented, witty person whom Jim is so lucky to have married. I cannot express the level of admiration I have for you as I read through the ups and downs of your journey. Never once have you wavered in your faith in a positive outcome, your devotion or your commitment to Jim's wellness. Nor have you isolated yourself or denied yourself the right to work through the emotional devastation that only a spouse and mother of two children can feel when faced with cancer. Although I have never met you, I will NEVER forget you or Jim. And the one thing that keeps coming to mind is how much peace it must bring Jim to know that he's able to let go with the comfort of knowing that his children will grow up safely in YOUR hands.

Jim, as my husband and I began reading the blog and saw your pictures - you were exactly as we remembered you. It has been so generous of you and Kate to share the photos and stories of your battle and of the lovely family the two of you have created. Oddly enough this past week I have run across many old HS friends/acquaintances and you are on the minds and in the hearts of many!! My wish for you is peace and comfort as you prepare to let go of the fight. You are a valiant warrior and you've fought with unparalleled strength and grace. Your honor and your memory will be alive for many, many years.

God bless you, Jim, Kate, Rachel, Jake, Judi, your folks and all who love you. You have touched more lives than you know.

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim.....You and your family have been on my mind constantly since I found out about your illness only 1 week ago.

Although it has been years since we've seen each other, I remember the good times back at R-H.

Your strength and courage you have shown throughout your struggle and now at being in peace with your decision to suspend treatments is most admirable.

I am in awe of your wife Kate, as well. What a remarkable woman she is to have started and continue writing this blog. You were so lucky to have found each other.

Please know we are all praying for you and wish you only the most peaceful journey back home.
Kate and the kids will have their very own special guardian angel to watch over them.

Please know you and your family are in our hearts and in our prayers.

Karen (O'Brien) Lampman
hotpepperlvr@yahoo.com

1:02 PM

 
Blogger leslie said...

Kate,
Rachel forwarded me your blog. What a beautiful blog! My heart aches for you and your family. What a wonderful gift of cards and your blog to you husband and family. I commend you for having the courage to wear your heart on your sleeve. It's so odd that I can hear your voice as I read your blog, even though it has been a few years since I last saw you, before you left Atlanta. I wish you, Jim, and your family many wonderful moments together to treasure forever.
I am here for you if you ever need me.
Leslie Pinto
Atlanta, GA

1:44 PM

 
Blogger John Marquardt said...

Kate,
I have shared your latest info with all here at Kohler and International Paper too. We are all keeping Jim, you, and your family in our prayers. Please call if there is anything else we can do.

John Marquardt
Fond du Lac, WI

2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate and Jim,
We are all so saddened to read your latest blog...but how wonderful and generous you've been to let even strangers know your love, concern, courage and inner strength as you have gone through this year. We have been, and will continue to be, with you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, the Grady family in Austin,TX

7:28 PM

 
Blogger melissa said...

Kate,
I will keep you, Jim and all of the family in my prayers. I wish you peace and I hope that you are able to find moments of joy in the days to come. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Melissa H (Judi's neighbor)

8:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim I love you so much, your courage blows my mind!!I just wish i could see you and give you a huge hug right now!!!You have given me so many great memories and i appreciate everyone of them.calling you my cousin all of these years was so true....sometimes it should've been big brother though!!!I love you Jimmy! Love jeri

9:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate and Jim:

I check in on the blog every once in a while and haven't visited in some time. I was sad to see the latest developments and my heart is breaking for you. You are the bravest people i know. Dan and I feel blessed to have been at your wedding and to have spent a little time with Jim on a few occasions (i recall a new year's in NYC many moons ago). You don't have to spend a lifetime with someone to know they are a friend, and that's how we feel about you both.

Jim, you are an amazing guy and a role model for people our age who need to be reminded to take time and enjoy life. We think that having it all is having lots of money, a nice car and a big house. You've shown us that life is about family, happiness and friends and you have it all. That's an accomplishment many people never achieve in a long lifetime.

Thanks for letting us witness this journey and being so open with people about the good moments, the bad ones and everything in between.

Kate, you are a rock and an amazing person. I hope you know that we would do anything to help -- just say the word and I'll be there with a 15 year old babysitter and an 8 year old playmate in tow.

We are praying for you and sending you all the love and good wishes we can from Pittsburgh.

All our love,

Dan, Niki, Carly and Jack Campbell

10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim and Family,

I am so thankful God has blessed me by allowing me to know THE Marventano Family. I am a luky man. Jim, I know you now know just how special you are. You are so blessed with family and friends. If,praying,wishing,crying,begging,or whatever else worked you would be more than well.With all of that I know now the MIRACLE is you.. Thank You Buddy.. I will always have a SPECIAL place for you and your family in my heart!!!!

Frankie Castellana

8:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home