This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, October 22, 2007

Where my grief shows

I'm getting good at recognizing grief. Here's what's going on with me:

- We're having some issues with Rachel. I thought it was her, but guess what? It's me. A friend gave me a great parenting book and I wasn't even two chapters in before I spotted the problem. And it's my problem, not Rachel's. So that's something that we're working on. Together. I've fallen off the consistency wagon. And the healthy-eating wagon. And the discipline wagon. And those are the three worst wagons to fall off of when you're dealing with a spirited child.

- I'm doing not some, but ALL my crying at night. I just get into bed, lay there, talk to Jim and tell him about my day. When I ask him a question he doesn't answer me so I get upset. Not dissimilar from the last 12 years, but then he'd sort of snort and say something like "Can I go to sleep now?" And then I mull it over in silence, much as I did for the last 12 years. Lately I've been thinking about funny stories and how much fun he was. And that makes me upset. I am okay with crying at night. That way no one sees me. I'm not a pretty crier. I get all scary-mascara-smeared-snotty-red-nosed. I've always wondered about those pretty criers. Where do they come from and who gave them permission to look cute whilst in tears? We're in two totally different leagues.

- I'm starting to get a very few things done. I'm starting my thank-you notes. I'm getting appointments scheduled and I'm working on insurance. I'm cleaning up some things that have been bugging me. And I took the trash out today before 12:00. Pickup is tomorrow morning, but typically by the end of the day I'm too tired to take it out and inevitably I have to take the trash out in the morning wearing my jammies in the pouring rain, completely unshowered and looking like poop. Right around then is when my neighbors start out of their houses all freshly showered and looking great. So I decided to get on the stick and stop torturing my neighbors and take the trash out early. I'm proud of these very small accomplishments because before the last few days, I haven't been able to complete much of anything. Which is frustrating. I'm not watching tv. I'm not playing on the computer. I'm really not doing...anything. So getting even the smallest thing done is great. (And many of the things I'm getting done are my dreaded phone calls!)

- I'm disorganized. I try to clean up, but I've finally realized that I'm not cleaning. I'm just shuffling things around. So I'm making a conscious effort to actually find places for things rather than stacking them and moving them to another place.

Okay, so that's my tough stuff. Here's the good things:

- My mom (God love her) took Jake and both dogs up north. What a saint. That's how I've had all this time to get stuff done.

- I am taking a few girls (Amy, Susan, Judy, Lisa and Barb) to Chicago (staying at my Uncle and Aunt's uber-chic loft!) for an all girls weekend to thank them for everything they've done for me. Not that other people haven't done things for me - they have. But these are the people who have made absolutely certain that if I've fallen down, they've picked me up, dusted me off (or in Judy's case, vacuumed, soaped and polished me off, then used Q-Tips to get the dirt out of anyplace. It's her German-bred cleaning style) and made sure that I've marched on with my chin up. I CANNOT WAIT for Chicago. I bought a couple of bottles of Veuve Clicquot (my favorite) so that we can do a champagne toast when we get there. Hello Costco! Where would we get our cheap wine without warehouse stores?

- I am reading. Granted I'm reading grief books, parenting books, and books that are supposed to help me turn into Ayn Rand, but hey - at least I'm spending some quiet time. Alone. By myself. Just me. And the pages of a book. What could be better?

- Rachel and I have had a few breakthroughs since mom took Jake up north. I think she needed some extra attention. And I think she needed the old me back. I put her to bed at 6:10 last night. No lie. And you know what? She went right to sleep. I think she needed someone to lay down the law and tell her how it's going to be done. I think she was exhausted. And I think she was exhausted from pushing my buttons. No one ever says she isn't smart.

- I am able to think about happy or funny things about Jim without getting too sad. One thing that distresses me is that when I think of him, a lot of times I think about how he looked before he passed away. And I feel bad about that because that wasn't Jim. I'm thinking I'm going to get to a point where I remember him and how beautiful he was. And it's funny - I don't think of his body before he passed. When I think about his hugs or him in a flannel shirt, I think about his regular body. But when I think of his face I think of how thin he was. In any case, I'm happy that I'm able to think of some things and laugh. And I know I'll get to a place where I think about his face before he was so sick.

- Palmer and Major aren't here stinking up my house. They're at my parents house stinking things up in the Northwoods. Oh, but they're good dogs. They're really great when they're 250 miles away.

Well this was kind of a random post. But I just wanted to throw an update out to everyone. We're doing okay. It's easier to manage one kid than four. I count Palmer and Major - they're bigger than both of my kids. I get to count them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie, Glad you have such a wonderful and feeling Mom! With her as an example you can't lose. I know what you mean about remembering 'cause my dad died when I was 20. For a while my memories always started by seeing him in a casket. I sure hated that but it got better. I concentrated on a good mental picture and that took over. Love how you keep writing. It keeps Jim out there in front of me. Thanks so much. You're doing fine--as I often tell you guys "Give yourselves a break. Supermoms are OUT!!". Love-Aunt Sue Mac

5:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its been a while since I have commented on the blog. Mostly because I have had a hard time seeing the screen thru my tears (sorry guys, real men do cry). Your ability to mix your true feelings, raw emotions and laughter is amazing and mesmorizing. Everything that you are going thru is a complete hodgepodge of feelings and you just get them out there, not because it solves anything, but because its just good to say it outloud.

Truth be told, my ex-wife and I had our first kid at 20 and married at 22. Were we too young? YES. Did I grow as person, father, husband because of the adversity? YES and therefore so its hard to say I made a mistake. Regret seems to be human nature and we ALL look back at times and wonder "what-if". BUT all we can really do is learn from the past and realize that this is how we grow. Some people have easier times, some don't. Having a kid at 20, almost put me over the edge..literally!!!! But she was a blessing. I had 2 more wonderful kids and while I wish things were different for my 3, I can't change anything and won't change anything, because it would take away who I am today.

Jim was not perfect and nobody is. It is great how you want to remember him and how you talk about him and will always treasure those moments..good and "not so good". Opposites do attract and sometimes that works. IT does fill a void and if we are talking about one person liking to cook and the other liking to clean up dinner, it can be a great thing to be different. For some people it doesn't work forever, because of compromises that can never be met, like raising of children and money. There is a saying.. "you have to be in it, to win it." In order to live life, you have to be part of life. In order to learn about yourself and others, you need to have experiences. Some things work out and others don't. My dad was such large part of my life and the lessons and things he taught me are forever with me, even though he is not here physically anymore. But he would say, that you can't be afraid of failure.

Don't stop what your doing or being Kate. No one can tell you what to do or how to do it. Everything that I and others write, are about our own experiences. You can take things from it and apply them. IF just ONE thing I say, in all the writings, gives you comfort or direction or is helpful in anyway, then I know its worth it. What good are experiences, if we don't share them.

I feel bad for what has happened, but I know that God has a plan, none of us can see. We have to put our trust in it. I grew up with a strong faith and when Kayla was born, I blamed God for my misfortune. WHY ME? It took me a couple of years to recover and move on and I did. But things have never seemed to go my way for long. I spent 12+ years trying to figure it all out and then one day you wake up and realize, that you are not in control. Life is full of things that can't be changed. I could list all the "bad things" that have happened to me and ask you to join the pity party of my life, but I re-discovered God a few years ago, during the darkest times and realized he never left me, I left him. I realized that I had a whole life in front of me, so stop looking in my rear view mirror. A friend gave me this advice.... "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."

The STORY of Kate is an ever evolving plot and you are left to write it. Smile at the sunny days, but embrace the rainy days, because both are needed to make the world green. You have lived in the Northern Climate long enough to know that while the winter makes everything around look so dead, the spring will come again soon, and all will be blooming and beautiful. Your life will bloom, your kids will bloom and the circle of life (credit to Lion King) will go on. We are all here for you in some way. Your blogging helps me with my grieving for my father, since I am took chicken sh*t to go to a group and cry. I have that one strong person in my life, whose shoulder I can cry on and it took me almost 35 years to meet her. But as we have both commented, better 35 years, then 45 years!!!!

OK, I have blogged long enough. For those that have fallen asleep...I am sorry. Kate...as always, you, Rachel, Jake and the entire Marventano clan are in my daily prayers. Stay strong, keep the faith. Rely on each other and keep doing what your doing.

PS: HAVE A GREAT TIME IN CHICAGO.

Jason (Rochester, NY)

5:53 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Kate, you know some of what we've been through with Diminutive One (I don't know if you're aware of the more recent developments because...well...you've been a little busy) Parenting a Spirited Child can be emotionally, physically and spirtually exhausting, under the best of circumstances. Throw grief (hers and yours) into that mix and you've got yourself a pretty stressful set of circumstances.

If you want to talk, you know where to find me. Anytime.

I'm enjoying reading about your thoughts and feelings. As you know, Husband and I have a relationship that I think, is very similar to what you and Jim shared. Jim's illness and death have made me a little afraid because I can't imagine my life without Greg. I just can't go there.

So it's good to see you coping and surviving. It makes me feel stronger and less afraid. Does that make any sense to you??

Keep writing. You're helping all of us.

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate. Rochester is with you tonight. You'll eventually get back to more consistency in your life with discipline and healthier meals. It's not easy being an only parent, so give yourself some time. Kids are pretty resilient. Hopefully, Rachel will see that you're trying to get it right. I think, mainly, kids just want to know that someone will take care of them and love them. They're grieving too. Keep talking to Jimmy. When you least expect it, you'll feel his presence and know that he's beside you. Glad your parents are able to help out. My parents were a Godsend when my husband died. They were so good to me and to my boys. There's a reason they're called GRANDparents! Enjoy the weekend with your friends. Mary C.

8:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Large or small, successes are successes. Still reason for triumph and rejoice. I'm sure Rachel is relieved to have some of her "old" Mommy back - and all to herself for a while! What a great idea to spend a weekend with the girls in Chicago - a real chance to have FUN and maybe, for a little while, NOT think about all the grief. Remember Jim's 400 minutes?? You deserve some minutes too. Live it up, Girl!

8:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home