This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Cupcakes

Okay, clearly a lot of our attention has been centered on food. Jim and I both love to eat. There's almost nothing I won't eat. Jim was the same way. Date nights always meant dinner out. Movie night at home meant popcorn or chips. Sundays meant brunch, or football, a fire, and snack foods.

I have a love affair with cupcakes. I view them as your own personal little party. And it's a single portion already set out for me. As long as I don't eat 12 in a sitting.

So my Aunt Kate sent the kids and I a container of Sprinkles vanilla cupcake mix. My Aunt works at Williams Sonoma, so she's got the inside track on all the latest-and-greatest in the cooking world. And we all know how much Jim and I love Williams Sonoma. Apparently these are cupcakes that Oprah really likes. I have to admit that when I got the mix, I thought "How good can this be? Cupcakes are cupcakes."

BOY WAS I WRONG!

These are not cupcakes. These are little cups of heaven. I made them with Rachel and her friend John. Once I tasted them I almost regretted letting the kids be a part of it. These are the most luscious cupcakes you've ever tasted. And before I'd tasted the cupcakes, I briefly considered just making my own frosting rather than follow the package instructions. Thank goodness I followed the instructions because the frosting was also ridiculously good. I am NOT a frosting fan. I'm all about the cake. These little dense (but still with a fluffy factor) cakes showcased the frosting as a perfect topper to an already perfect cake.

When I wrote the blog the other night about how indulgences aren't as fun without Jim, I was referring to these cupcakes. I felt bad eating them without Jim. They were truly delicious. And I hoarded them a bit, although Rachel seemed to instinctively know how good they were, too. She kept asking and asking. It hurt me to give her these cupcakes. She just licks the frosting off the top and takes a bite or two - just enough to ruin the cupcake. And you can bet that if it weren't ruined, I'd eat the rest. That's how good these are.

Sprinkles cupcakes are not for kids. And I mean it. Get the kids out of the house for a weekend, make the cupcakes, and enjoy. They are amazing. It's one of those things I wish Jim were here to enjoy with me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

You? Are an enabler. Now I really want cupcakes.

8:23 PM

 
Blogger The Pruntys said...

I'm going to have to try these cupcakes!! I crave cupcakes when I'm pregnant. When I was pregnant with Jack - I couldn't think of anywhere to go to get a really good, single cupcake, so I made two dozen cupcakes to satisfy a craving, and finally had to send the last few to work with Kevin because I had almost finished them all in a matter of days.

They just opened a cupcake shop here in St. Louis called Jilly's Cupcake Bar. It is my dream come true. They have your basic, amazing, white cupcake with frosting and sprinkles. But then they also have crazy cupcakes like tiramisu or a "bee sting." Anyway, I have a feeling they're going to see a lot of me over the next five months. Although it sounds like nothing will compare to these Williams-Sonoma cupcakes! Thanks for the heads up!

8:30 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Oh my gosh sister-in-law - you are truly over the edge! I can picture you attempting to keep the cupcakes for yourself. You and Jim were two peas-in-a-pod! This story reminds me of when I used to send the Cheryl and Co. cookies and Jim & Rachel would try to eat them all before you had a chance to have any. He'd call and I'd hear him with a mouthful; he'd put Rachel on "Thank you Aunt Judi for the cookies!" Jim would come back on "Um, yeah, Jude, they are really good. Don't tell Kate you sent them." Me - "Why not?" Him "Um, cause Rachel and I just ate them all." Then he'd laugh like a maniac. I'm pretty sure he left one or two for you, but I'll bet he never fessed up that as many came in the box as I actually sent!

So enjoy hoarding those cupcakes and smile knowing that your husband would have done exactly the same thing!

Love - Jude

9:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if we should feel guilty when we enjoy these earthly goodies. Isn't that what heaven is all about? The cupcakes up there are even better than the WS creations. Wish I had a relative that worked for Lindt Chocolates!! Love you guys and think of you every day! I will be thinking of you in Italy next week!! Aunt Sue M.

10:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I am going to WS tonight to buy the Sprinkles mix. Second (sorry this has nothing to do with food) I wanted to recommend a book for you to read with Rachel...it's called Jubilee, by Ellen Yeomans. It's a children's book; the author is a friend of a friend and she writes about the loss of loved ones--she lost a child. Jubilee is about friends and family gathering in heaven. Just a suggestion from a (dorky) reading teacher!
Courtney

4:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home