This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Placing the dogs

Friends, it's time to ask for your help.

Today Palmer and Major got out of our backyard fence and I've realized I cannot keep them. I love the dogs, but I cannot handle everything going on in my home at the moment. This is not a rash decision - I've been thinking about it for a while. I am placing a burden on my neighbors and friends, not to mention the dogs and us, by keeping them.

If you know of anyone that would be interested in taking one or both of them, please let me know. I am looking for good homes - not the humane society or a rescue center. I would rather hang onto them than have them go some place they won't be happy.

They are out of the same litter-
AKC registered English yellow Labrador Retrievers
Born March 17, 1999 (8 years old)
Current on all vet shots, etc.
Palmer - the smart one - he's wonderful with kids, a great runner, and knows all of his commands
Major - the not-so-smart one - loves to be loved, a little more laid back but still loves to fetch a ball, and a great swimmer

They can be placed together or apart, but I will not consider a home I don't think is fit or that doesn't come recommended by someone I know. These are good, good dogs. They are gentle and loving. They are indoor dogs - not dog house dogs. They love walks, playing fetch with a ball of frisbee, and they love to lay in front of a fire and let gas on you and your family. :) And I'm not joking about that.

Thanks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Here's a pitch for the dogs too. They are sweet, albeit gassy at times, dogs. When Kate and Jim didn't have kids, my kids would visit them and the dogs were always loving and friendly. They love to be walked and to play fetch. And they love each other. Please consider taking both of them together.

I know you're thinking "If they're so great, why don't you take them?" I've thought about it a hundred times and even talked with Mark about taking them home with us when Jim was so sick. Unfortunately, the village where we live has a law allowing only two dogs at each residence. We already have a dog, so we can't take Palmer and Major together. I believe dogs are very smart and have emotions. I think they miss Jim and having to leave Kate and the kids will be another sadness for them. I'd hate to see them split up. If you can help Kate out by taking both dogs, please do.

2:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you will find a good home for them but just in case. . . consider hiring a teen in the neighborhood to come by and walk them and help them run off some energy. I am sure that will help!

4:02 PM

 
Blogger Sheila Daykin said...

Kate - I've been following your blog since I heard the news about Jim. I knew Jim as a child as we were in Sunday School together in Rochester.

I am heavily involved in dog rescue in PA and am sure there are lab rescues in your area which I would be happy to locate for you.

If you are interested in this, please email me at bxrdaykin@aol.com

Sincerely,
Sheila

5:44 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Kate, I know someone who might be interested. She lives in Plover with husband and three kids. She's awesome...she's one of my friends that I had a girls weekend in Chicago with this summer. I gave her your email address. She has to talk to hubby, but they've been thinking about a dog for a while now, just waiting for the right time, situation, sign...whatever you want to call it.

5:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please have them kept together! They are a pack, like your family -- but you have your children, and they have each other. At that age, it would be truly devasting for them to be separated.

Dogs grieve from separation and/or death of their "packmates" too, as anyone can tell you who has seen it firsthand. It goes on for months.

I am enormously sympathetic to your losing Jim. If you must give up the dogs, I only hope you will insist on a loving family for both dogs together. Best wishes.

10:57 PM

 
Blogger Tara said...

Hi Kate, Joel's little sister here. I have been meaning to write you and let you know how important your posting are. My good friends father passed away not too long ago and they tell me there aren't many books on grieving. So, I think you should turn your writing into a book. I think that others could benefit from the feeling that they aren't alone. You are an amazing writer and I just wanted to let you know that. I also wanted to let you know that I take your advise and I love and kiss who I have in my life. Thank you.
Tara Morris (Trojanowski)

11:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home