This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Found a home for the dogs!

We found a home for the dogs! I'm filled with a mixture of feelings - relief, happiness, sadness...relief. We found this family through friends of friends of friends. They are wonderful! They live about 45 minutes from us. We went to meet them today. They have three sons, they live on a farm with more than 300 acres, they are wonderful.

My friend Lisa and her daughter agreed to go with us, which was a good thing because I was wound as tight as a piano string. She called it an "adventure" (Lisa's a lot more laid back than me) - and when we finally got there, I teared up right in the driveway. I hadn't even met them yet and I knew this was the place. It's a beautiful farm. They came right out to greet us. The two sons that live at home (one is in college) came out and played with the dogs. They had gifts for the kids, and for me. They were the sweetest, nicest people.

I was so nervous about so many aspects of the whole thing - handing off the dogs, dealing with Rachel's feelings, worried that the dogs would screw something up terribly. I brought their "stuff", but I was worried that the new owners would think I was presumptuous if I brought along all their paraphernalia. They were really cool about it, though, and they'd obviously given some thought to accepting the dogs before we got there because they seemed okay with unloading the dogs' food container right away. I showed them how to use the gentle leader with Palmer. Major was his adorable lovable self. I gave them the plethora of leashes and paperwork that they have accumulated over the years.

I was so sad to say goodbye to the dogs. But at the same time, I recognize that this is a big step into our new life. I cannot handle everything. I was not handling the dogs well, nor was I handling the guilt about the fact that I wasn't handling the dogs well. I explained the whole thing to Rachel today before we left the house. She said "But I'll be sad without the dogs." I said "I know, me too. But they'll be happier." She said "Okay, then can we get a cat?!" I said (laughing) "I don't think we're going to get any more pets for a long, long time. But maybe we could put a playset in the backyard now." She said "With a slide?" I said "Yep." She said "Great! Does the farm have cows?"

I know the dogs will be better off, and I know this was the right family. Both of the boys (and the parents, who I would have been happy to move in with, by the way), thanked me for the dogs at the end. I nearly broke out in tears when they thanked me so nicely. Two teenage boys with nice manners like that? Come on. This is the family I've been searching for. And the dogs will be delighted. And I don't think that the boys will be upset when the dogs let gas on them. Okay, well maybe they weren't that perfect. No one is that perfect. But they sure were nice. And that's what I was looking for - a nice, happy family. I couldn't ask for anything more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Kate - I cried as I read the post. All the same emotions as you. It's sad to have to let another piece of Jim go. I told Kirsten that you'd found a new home for the boys. She cried, but she understood.

Rachel will miss the dogs and that's normal and okay. We had to get rid of our dog Charlie when we were kids. One day, one of my parents caught Jimmy crying in his room. He said he missed Charlie. He grew up well-adjusted and into a kind, loving man. No permanent scars.

Uncle Mark would be honored to come out after the snow melts and help put up that swing set with the slide. Aunt Judi promises to sit quietly, not bossing, and drink a glass of wine, unless of course Jimmy appears to me and says "Tell Mark he's doing it wrong." ;-)

Love - Jude

11:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate - I pray that you can put your "good byes" behind you and move into a new year, not without sadness, but with the knowledge that you have done everything in your power to make things good for those you love. I am so glad you found a good home for Palmer and Major. Breath in, breath out... Stay strong!

5:01 PM

 
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I'm so glad for you! It sounds like a truly wonderful place. I know they will be happy. You are doing the right thing, Kate.

5:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those doggies will be so happy and always remember the true family they came from!!!You are making the best decision for all of you!!! Jeri

11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

I'm really happy for you and the dogs. I know you will all miss them, but they will have so much fun. We had a black lab who LOVED running around our hobby farm and she never really seemed as happy once we moved to the city. Palmer and Major will feel like they are on the vacation of a lifetime!

Angie

8:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate - do you have the option of going to visit them if the urge arises??

8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home