This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Barbie World

Jim was notorious for choosing music that was...lame. Although he was a fan of country, Jim was also a fan of one-hit wonders including:

Mmm Bop (Hanson)
Barbie Girl (Aqua)
Mambo #5 (Lou Bega)
Who Let The Dogs Out (Baha Men)

So tonight when Rachel started softly singing "Barbie Girl" (just a few of the lyrics) I laughed and said "Where did you hear that?" She looked a little nervous and said "Uh...in Kirsten's room." (Kirsten is her 15 year old cousin). I pulled out one of Jim's compilation CDs and played it for her. I told her it was a song her Daddy really liked. Jake, Rachel and I just spend the last 1/2 hour dancing around to some of Jim's favorites.

Jim liked a lot of really great music, too. But one of the things I liked about Jim is that he just didn't care about what anyone else thought. He listened to what he liked. And now Rachel and Jake are enjoying what he liked, too. I have an affinity for lame music myself - I just love disco. So we also listened to "Shake Your Booty" and "Funkytown".

Goodness do I ever miss a man who was confident enough to walk around in a flannel shirt listening to the lyrics:
I'm a Barbie girl
in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic
You can brush my hair,
undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation
That's what made Jim a man's man. And a ladies man. He could get away with anything.

Jim was a great dancer. He had beautiful sparkly brown eyes and strong arms. Who wouldn't love a man that had all that and liked cheesy music?

7 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

ROFL. I didn't know that about him. I like some cheesy music myself. It's nice that your sharing that with Rachel.

9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate- Loved that! I am also a lover of cheesy music. Well, pretty much all music. It is soothing to the soul & a great trait to pass along to Rachel & Jake. Hope all is well...

Let the Music Play.......

Aimee

7:04 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

So...you and Jim go out for one of his appointments, I'm making dinner for us and put a little music on from Jim's fine selection of CDs. I select Dixie Chicks. Jim comes home and gives me crap for the music! Hello - Mr. Sophistication - it's YOUR CD! Big laugh - "Oh, yeah. I forgot I had it." I miss the teasing...a lot.

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So John and I are driving in the car a few years back and a Will Smith song comes on, John knows all of the words. He explains to me that Jim loves this song and it is one that they listen too often when they are car-pooling up to IP in Statesville. Can you imagine that scene!! So I guess you can add Will Smith to the collection. Lots of love to you and the children.

Jennifer

11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We know we all get jiggy with it every possible chance there is...(usually alone!!!) The thing about Jimmy is he would ride that train with anyone around!!! Especially at the 747 when we went till 10:30 (if we were lucky 11) in high school!! We'd have a blast moving our bodies to the tunes, and wondering now how the hell we moved that way!!! Gotta say though Jim was one of the best in his 1" leathr tie and balloon pants!!! He was a true man of fashion!!!! just like his wife!! And I am sure the little dancing marventanos will be the same way!!! God they are gorgeous kids!!! Love you....Jeri

5:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate-
If you like cheesy music you will love the song "I Won't Go Hunting With You Jake" It is an old country song, not that we are huge fans of country, but this one is great. Your little Jake will love it too! My 21/2 year old Jason wants to be called Jake because of this song.
Try to find it on iTunes or something-it is a riot and a great song to sing together in the car.
Hang in there-
Mary Anne (Friend of Jim's from HS and one who knows first hand about the whole 747 dance experiences.)

8:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as we're talking about music..... I heard Lola on the radio in the car the other day. I will forever think of you and your family when I hear that song and I'll always be wishing in my heart that good things will come for each of you.

Peace to you all this holiday season.

4:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home