This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Well we had a nice visit to Rochester for Thanksgiving. I was nervous as hell getting on the plane alone with two kids, but it worked out well and the kids were pretty good. Actually, Rachel was an ANGEL, Jake made it through without embarrassing me too badly. Although on the way home today he did manage to pelt a woman in the back of her head with his pacifier. Oh geez.

I was nervous about going to Rochester. After all, it's my first time staying at my in-laws house since Jim passed away. I was terrified that we'd all be sitting around staring at each other. Me there, without their son. I know it has to be painful for them. It was painful for me. Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, and I am thankful for the blessings I have, but one of my biggest blessings is gone. And it's painfully obvious. But it wasn't awkward at the Marventanos. We had lots of activities planned. Rachel saw The Nutcracker for the first time, and she loved it. She tried to pirouette a couple of times and then realized what she was doing, so she turned it into a stretch and a yawn. Funny. And we met Jim's friend/cousin Jeri and her two girls at the children's museum, which is wonderful. We had a great time. Judi and I had a couple of really good talks. And best of all, I got to go out with our friends Mark and Terri one night. We were out until after midnight, which I have to say is pretty darn good because Terri is 8 months pregnant.

Traveling to Rochester has never been my favorite thing. I hate Rochester. I've hated it since we moved there my junior year in high school. I have so many hang-ups and animosity about Rochester that it's almost silly. But this trip was better. I was able to let some things go. I was able to appreciate it for my kids. Rachel and Jake were delighted to see their Mimi and Papa. And Aunt Judi, Uncle Mark, Kirsten and Sean have been raised to demi-God status. I saw Jeri, Mark, and Terri - all people I really wanted to see. We had a wonderful dinner at Thanksgiving, complete with a fun sangria and my favorite Senator Potatoes.

Throughout this whole experience I've been wondering: is this some kind of plan? And who was the shitty designer that came up with this plan? (Jim would be appalled at such lazy design work!) But I sat down one night and cheated - I read the last chapter of Why Bad Things Happen to Good People. (Spoiler alert!) I finally realized there isn't a plan. God didn't make this happen. He didn't even let this happen. It just happened. It's my job to take the experience and either make Jim's passing something special by having his memory live on in a positive way, or make myself and everyone around me miserable by continually asking questions for which I'll never find answers.

My prayers for Jim's healing weren't answered in the way that I hoped. But my prayers were answered for my own healing, and eventually, for that of my kids. God put the wonderful village of Kohler in our paths. I have so many friends and relatives that love me and the kids. People have reached out to me from all over the earth. People have stopped to listen and ask how I'm doing. They reach out to me by cutting my lawn, making us dinner, and calling me to talk about the Bachelor. (Another blog post: the season finale was terrible!)

I choose to take this experience and make something positive. It's the best way to honor Jim. It's the best way to honor our relationship. It's the best way to show what kind of a person he was. I am truly thankful for every day I had with Jim. Our first holiday without Jim stunk because Jim wasn't there. But he will always be with us because of the kind of man he was. He left such an impression on so many people. I am working on "zipping it" which is the new series at our church - the last one was about complaining, which is one of my specialties. Yes, I put a link to our church. Don't get all wierd about it - don't listen to it if you don't want to. But you can listen to the sermons online and I've got to say - these are pretty cool. I am working on shutting up and being thankful for what I do have. I'm working on noticing the blessings I do have, not the ones I don't. Jim was the greatest blessing of my life. With Jim, I was blessed with two adorable, healthy children. With Jim, I was blessed with a beautiful marriage that we worked hard for - and succeeded. I can't think of any greater blessing than love.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,it was so so great to see you,,,,I am sitting here balling my eyes out because I missed seeing Jim with you, but seeing Aunt Janet Judi ,and you made it all worth it. I know Jimmy was there with us the whole time! Just please know that we are all there for you and anytime you need us PLEASE let us know.....and that goes for all of you Marventanos!!!!! I Love you Guys....Jeri!

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made it through Tanksgiving great...a great milestoe!! You will hve many more to get through but with your supporters You're gonna do great!!! Happy Thanksgiving,Marventanos!!!!

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We all missed Jim, but it didn't take away from how happy we all were to spend time with you, Rachel and Jake. Thank you so much for making it happen - - I know it was quite intimidating to make the trip alone with two little ones on one of the busiest air travel weekends.

If anyone would like to see the great time the cousins had together, I've shared the photos I took of the weekend. Most are at the Strong National Museum of Play (http://www.strongmuseum.org/), which is absolutely phenomenal. If you're ever in the Rochester area, you have to take the kids there. So if you're interested in seeing the kids, feel free to browse my shared album on Shutterfly -
Shared Pictures

9:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate-
Although I read your blog like a religion,I have only made one comment so far. I couldn't hold back today because I now know that I can share with you my favorite song and I know you will like it too. The song is called "I Won't Go Hunting With You Jake". Not only does it have your son's name in the title I think you will appreciate the music and the lyrics. We love this song so much that my 2 1/2 year old son Jason wants to be called Jake now. It is a fun song to sing in the car or dance around the house with. I can't think of the singer, some older country guy, but I am sure you can find it on itunes or something. Let me know what you think-
Mary Anne (friend of Jim's from High School)
mabkev1@hotmail.com
PS-I remember Jim very clearly at our Sunday Night 747 hang out - He did have that total 80's clothes thing going....

9:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home