This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Besting Jim

It was hard to outdo Jim at much of anything. When we were first married he taught me how to play backgammon. He'd win nearly every time, until I'd start crying. Then I'd miraculously win and he'd deny throwing the game. Then I'd get mad because he let me win.

Over the years, we had a number of talks about not telling other guys what to do. Other guys don't want to know what's wrong with their grill. If they said it's broken, then leave it. If there's a better way to hang drywall, perhaps they can figure it out on their own. I know that at one point my mom said something like "Wait on that project until Jim gets here" and my dad got furious and said he could do it without Jim. (This was probably pre-JimnI, during which he would proclaim for everything "JimnI are going to {insert location}".) Jim couldn't understand when we had to have these talks. Jim just figured if there was a faster, easier way to do something, you might as well do it that way. He just wasn't familiar with handling the male ego. But sometimes guys would get annoyed.

And by the way, Jim was great on the grill. No one made a steak like Jim.

Jim was also a sneaky trickster. One of my brothers had a not-so-subtle way of teasing Jim. But Jim wouldn't tease back the same way. Jim's was pure wit. He knew how to tell a good story. He didn't babble endlessly at a party (like someone else we know) - he interjected short, sweet, really funny things. Jim was the one who would come out with one-liners.

Jim was smart beyond belief. If he didn't know it, give him 20 minutes and he'd figure it out. I can remember getting frustrated on the few occasions where he admitted he didn't know something. What do you mean you don't know? You're Jim, for heaven's sake. Of course you know.

Sometimes I would feel so jealous. He was just so smart and so good at everything. His hobbies created or resulted in something substantial. Woodworking - he made practically everything around our house. There are little symbols of love all over the place, including bookshelves, a fireplace mantle, a windowseat and shelves in Rachel's room, an awesome mudroom setup...you name it, he could make it. He was a great runner, and even at my best I couldn't do better than his worst. He was good at drawing, although he was pretty shy about that. And he was great at puzzles, mind benders, stuff like that. Sometimes the jealousy got so bad I'd start to wonder if I was ever good at anything. Sometimes I wouldn't let him watch me work on something because I just couldn't bear to give him proof that he was better than me. (As if he needed it!)

When we redid our kitchen in Atlanta, I put my talents to work and saved a lot of money. We paid off a big credit card and paid for the kitchen in cash. But Jim was the one that actually did the kitchen (with help from our neighbors, Paul and Sara), and people raved about it. I childishly tried to point out that I'd been in charge of saving the money and picking the stuff for the kitchen, but no matter what I said or did, I didn't do the work. And the work was the really amazing part of the kitchen. Especially if you'd seen it before we finished it. My stuff was all behind the scenes. Jim's was all so tangible.

When we moved into our second house in Atlanta, Jim went out of town when I was about 8 months pregnant. Well, we had a house full of boxes that weren't even close to unpacked, and there was some sort of mix-up with the water company, and somehow the water to our house got shut off while he was gone. I called the water company and tried to explain that there'd been some sort of mixup, but alas, it was after 5:00 and they wouldn't help me. By the time I called Jim I was crying so hard he couldn't understand what I was saying. (But he knew it was me - he was familiar with the crying thing...) He finally talked me through the entire process of stealing water - "Go down to the basement. At the third box, take a right. In the first box on the left is my water wrench. Take it out of the box. Now get a big screwdriver from the box next to that. Go outside. On the left side of our lawn close to the street is the water access. Pry the cover off the water access with the screwdriver. Put the water wrench on the screw and turn it to the left. Now put the cover back on and go inside." All the while, I'm sobbing and wailing that I'm going to be arrested for stealing water. Jim laughed and said "Kate, we live two miles from the 'hood where they've got drive-by shootings and crack houses. Do you really think they're going to care about an 8 month-pregnant woman stealing water for a few hours?" I stopped crying. "Well, no." "Then go take a shower and calm down. I'll be home tomorrow." And that was that. There are so many points to that story - one being that he happened to know which box the water wrench was in. A second being that he knew where the water access was in the yard for our new house. The third being that he got a hysterical hormonal pregnant woman to stop crying. The fourth being that he had a water wrench.

When Jim and I first met, it was sort of a love-after-first-date kind of thing. Shortly after our first date, my parents asked Jim to watch their house while our family went on a backpacking trip in Colorado. We called the house at one point and asked how Jim was doing. He said to my dad "Fine. I was a little bored...I hope you don't mind but I cleaned out your pool filter, fixed the pump, and fixed all the fallen rails on your split rail fence." When we hung up the phone dad looked at me and said "I like this one." And that was that. He's been fixing things at our house ever since.

Did you know that Jim used to cut his own hair? Looked pretty good, didn't it? He'd cut his hair in the basement, using an ancient pair of clippers and a mirror. The first time he did it he came upstairs and there was a big red ring on his forehead. I said "What happened to your forehead?" He said "Oh, I just cut my hair." I said "Okay, but why is there a big red ring on your forehead?" His twinkly eyes shone as he said "I used to shop-vac to get the hair off me and it must have gotten stuck to my head." I just laughed. He looked good - if wanted to use the shop-vac on his head, I was okay with it.

When I look back over the years, I remember feeling so much pride in Jim's talents. I loved showing people around our houses and when they'd point something out I'd get to say "Oh, Jim made that for me!" But I remember feeling envious, too. He really was an amazing man, and it was easy to feel envy for his many talents. I always wished I was more like Jim. In fact, after Jim passed away I considered getting one of those WWJD bracelets. But instead of thinking "What would Jesus do?" I would think "What would Jim do?". I wish he was here with me right now.

13 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

He WAS funny. That first time I met him, and he said that thing about telling me but then having to kill me, I nearly fell off the chair. He was so quiet all night, but then he said that, and I was like, "Damn, there's more to him than meets the eye."

I was jealous of Jim too. You probably know, G is no Bob Vila. I wish he was there with you too, so I could still be jealous.

6:44 AM

 
Blogger French said...

A few more thing to be jealous of Jim. His beautiful, loving, smart, funny, talented, creative wife. His amazing two children. Oh yeah,he had some pretty good friends too.

9:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to Jim. You provide such a vivid description of him, actually, your writing is one of the ways he lives on. Was he as talented of a writer as you? You are truly gifted.

10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

I only knew Jim for a brief time, when he was around seven-or-eight years old. He was always such a cute and full-of-mischief, but good, kid. You give such wonderful descriptions of him as an adult, friend, husband, and father. It helps to "fill in the blanks" of who he had become. It's always a treat to learn more about him.

You and Judi, both, are so talented with descriptive writing -- it would be such a gift, someday (in your spare time - hahaha!), for the two of you to write a book about your lives and challenges with such a great guy. Thank you for putting yourself out there with your memories and your emotions. Jim's specialness is reflected in you.

Love to you, the kids, and your entire family.

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Kate -

I loved this post. It brought so many smiles to my face. If you knew Jim, you truly got the myriad of little nuances of "Jim" woven into the stories.

I was lucky - growing up I was the smart one, the one with the good grades, the one who did everything by the book. Jimmy was the social butterfly, the funny one, the one who didn't know a book existed - never mind he should be following it. I never had to compete with him because we were so different. By the time we were adults, I'd found different "smarts" than Jim, so we complemented each other. Thank goodness, because he was really smart in what he knew (and he knew A LOT!). Although I will admit that I tried my darndest to send the funniest card to him, but no matter what card I sent, he seemed to have a snappier comeback as to why it wasn't the funniest and how lame I was at trying, but he loved me anyways. From one of your earlier posts, he may have chosen you faults and all, but he was STUCK with me, so I guess he thought he'd make the best of it.

We also grew up to be very much the same. You tell stories of Jim and I think "Oh crap, that's me! I wonder if she finds it so endearing in a sister-in-law?!" Especially the story about how Jim had a way of doing something that would save time, energy, effort, and so he thought why wouldn't everyone want to do it this way? and couldn't resist sharing it.

Love - Jude

3:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the ring on his head!!! He was one of a kind...that's for sure! My husband uses our dust buster to this day every time he shaves his head!!!! So much alike...Jer

3:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

Thank you so much for sharing all of your memories and thoughts with us. I have some memories to share as well. Let's start by saying that I am familiar with the ancient pair of clippers you speak of as Jim was the resident barber for many of us at RIT. Jimmer used to do 4-5 haircuts back-to-back. What we all began to realize is that the quality of the haircut was in direct relation to Jim's decreasing interest as time went on. A time came when you were fighting to get that first or second seed. If you were after that, you risked wearing a baseball hat for 2-3 weeks. I know as I've been there! A selfless, great guy... I miss him dearly.

Scott

8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Jimmy's Leaf Bag stand that kept the paper leaf bags open while you filled them with leaves in the Fall. Jimmy developed this gismo several years before Home Depot started selling them, I smell a lawsuit

11:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish he was with you too. I also wish more of us had anything close to the relationship the two of you shared. You are so lucky to have felt that kind of love - and to have such wonderful memories to reflect upon. Keep writing, Kate.

7:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone needs to "Best Kate" that's for sure!!!!!!

11:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Kate.....

We stil have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers....

The Castellana Family

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Kate,Rachel and Jake! My you find peace within your family.

9:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

I was just thinking of you when we read a poem during our Christmas dinner prayer tonight. We lost our grandma this past year in August and I found this to be a wonderful thought to keep with you throughout the holiday season and always. Maybe you have already heard it.

Enjoy!

I'm Spending Christmas With Jesus Christ This Year

I see the countless Christmas trees, around the world below
With tiny light, like heaven's stars, reflecting on the snow.
The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away that tear.
For I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear. But the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas choir up here.
For I have not words to tell you, the joy their voices bring. For it is beyond description to hear an angel sing.
I can't tell you of the splendor or the peace here in this place.
Can you just imagine Christmas with our Savior, face to face?
I'll ask Him to light your spirit, as I tell Him of your love.
So then pray one for another as you lift your eyes above.
Please let your hearts be joyful and let your spirit sing.
For I'm spending Christmas in heaven, and I'm walking with the King!


Love and hugs to you and the kids!


Merry Christmas!!! :)

9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home