This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Monday, January 07, 2008

What is it with men and their speakers?

So, I've been cleaning house. Taking better care of myself (see Resolutions, below) means getting some of the stressors out. My number one stressor right now is the mounds and mounds and mounds of paperwork and junk that seem to plague my house.

I've been taking things to Goodwill. I like to rotate toys - Rachel and Jake have so much that they forget what they have and then they don't use it anymore. So I started a new rotation, and I needed space for some of the rotated items. I cleaned a few things out of the basement, and I came across a set of Jim's old speakers.

We've had these speakers for 12 years, and never once in the history of our marriage have they ever been set up. I tried to get rid of them a couple of times but Jim would grab them away from me, horrified.
J: Don't get rid of my speakers!
K: But honey, we aren't using them.

J: But they're really good speakers.
K: But...we're not using them. And they're really big.

J: I've had these speakers since college. And one time some girl {I'm sure he named a name, but I forget who} dropped one and nearly broke it when I was moving. I don't even like you holding them.
K: {Getting a little peevish} Well da$%, Jim. It wasn't me that dropped them. AND WE AREN'T USING THEM.

J: We're keeping them. I might need them. I'll sell them or something.
K: {Scowl} Great. Fine.

He did try to sell them once. He had them out at a garage sale and the price was marked so high that no one would ever pay it. And these were pretty big speakers. Who wants to pay for big speakers anymore? They get better sound quality out of tiny ones now.

I just don't see the point in hanging on to giant speakers that we aren't using. And on the occasion listed above I foolishly started to say that I didn't see the point of a subwoofer either. I saw the look on his face and backed down on that one. (I can see the horror on my own father's face as he's reading this - he may not be handy, but he knows surround sound like it's his business, and I'd bet dollars to donuts he's got giant speakers stashed in their basement, too.)

I gave the speakers to Goodwill. I've tucked an Ariel Kitchen (no longer being used, near the point of destruction) nicely into that corner of the basement. The speakers were caked with dust from the renovation. I did feel a little twinge and wondered if he was watching as we cleaned them up to get them ready to go. But Jim, if you're reading and standing behind me with your fists clenched and your lips pressed together angrily, you'll also notice that we still have the subwoofer. I won't get rid of it. Although I have no idea what it does.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate...
If it is any consolation we still have a pair of old speakers in our basement as well. Although not as big as the one's in your basement. To make it worse they were the predecessors to YOUR large ones. If I remember correctly it went something like this - "Dad I'm getting new speakers and mine are better then the one's you have, do you want them?" "Yep", I replied with out hesitation. He came, He installed and then relagated the old ones to the basement where they still stand among the left over christmas, birthday, anniversary, and miscellaneous shipping cartons being saved for "you never know". Then came "surround sound", so now the old stereo amp and speakers sit in the basement next to the treadmill just in case I want to listen to some music when I walk on the treadmill. On top of that is the 13" television that I get to watch when I am "banished" to the lower levels.
Love
Papa

3:53 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Ooohhh... Jim is in so much trouble! He gave me five little teeny, tiny speakers for my (I mean his) receiver. I didn't know he had some big honkin' ones down in the basement. As Mark says "Bigger is always better!" ;-)

We've got a basement full of "perfectly-good, just-in-case, we'll never need it-but you never know, more valuable to us than anyone else" items as well. Must've been a genetic abnormality Jimmy and I got stuck with!

I'm sure if Jim really cared, he would've appeared to you and said "Kate - put those back they're mine!" But then again, you would've been so startled to see him you would've dropped them like that old girlfriend almost did, and he would've gotten that horrified look, which would've scared the crap out of you even more. Where ever Jim is, he can see that you don't need the speakers. Put aside the guilt and move on to another box for goodwill.

Love - Jude

9:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

Oh, it is so bittersweet. Your words make me remember back to those times.... going through things and FINALLY being able to get rid of things that Paul had wanted to hang onto. It was liberating to be able to do what I wanted... but it was also so sad that I got to make those decisions because I was now alone and a widow. I remember the time I found a kite that Paul had decided to buy when he was in California. He called me up, asked me what I thought about it (since it was an expensive kite... who needs an expensive kite???) and then because he thought it was cool, he went ahead and bought it anyways. He never told me about it, but of course after he died and I was going through things in the basement, there I found it hidden, tucked up near the rafters where I suppose he thought I'd never find it! In my mind, I could hear him laughing that night, thinking it was soooo funny. And it was. That was Paul... and I miss him still.

9:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My set of huge college speakers are in the barn. A family of mice is probably living in them. I don't know when I will ever use them again BUT there is always that chance. HANDS OFF TO EVERYONE!!!

Scott

6:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good Feng Shui, Kate! Let go of the old to make room for the new (even though Ariel's kitchen is currently taking their physical space). No one said this was easy, but these are "things"...you can still laugh out loud with the memories. That is a gift. There will be someone shopping at your local Good Will who sees those speakers and says, "look at those monster speakers! I have to have them!" And their life will be better because Jim made you keep them for so long. I hope you do have good surround sound though......happy energy being sent you way, my friend.
peace and love, Cristin Z

10:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww crap...you mean there are BIG speakers available at Goodwill? I hope my husband doesn't find out. He just gave ours away a few months ago (WHEW!) to his young cousin who is in college...what comes around, goes around.

1:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never forget when Jimmy put a stereo in my first car (a purple Malibu) and he made me buy these crazy expensive speakers. They were more than the car!!! And they were huge!! We would just turn the car on in the driveway and roller skate around to LOUD music!! He must have always had a thing for loud music!! He was soooo fun! Love you, Jeri

7:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate!

You know what?? I said to Kev the same thing the other day,... "What the hell is a subwoofer... I don't belive in subwoofers". He said "What do you mean, you don't BELIVE". My reply... "are you hard of hearing?? EVERYTHING you do is sooooo loud. What is the point of being so lund when we are in a small space?" His reply... "you can't get the same sound without one(subwoofer)". My reply... "So the $&@% what.?" Long story short I won, and the speakers are collecting dust. You getting rid of the big speakers speaks volumes on you. EVERYONE needs a little piece and quite.!!!!

1:57 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Today was a "I wish I could call Jimmy;" then a "Jimmy would've been proud of me" day.

For Christmas, Mom bought me a pair of wireless speakers to use out on the patio or by the pool. I decided that I should hook them up to make sure they work. So here I am, flashlight in hand, peeking through a tiny hole in the back of the entertainment center, staring at the back of Jimmy's old receiver, trying to decide where to plug the wireless transmitter in. They don't plug in where the speaker wires do; that would've been too easy. I needed red/white out connections. After about 15 minutes of deliberation, I finally decided on something called Tape 2 Monitor (out). It WORKED! I could've wimped out and just plugged it into the headphone jack, but that just seemed so not right, seeing it's Jim's old receiver!

I thought of you because I finally had to unplug the SUBWOOFER because my hand wouldn't fit through that tiny hole in the back of the entertainment center, and the wires to the subwoofer were too tight to pull the receiver out from the shelf.

I finally get the wireless speakers working, go back to the normal speakers, and I've got two out of four that won't work! I'm pushing buttons right and left thinking "If I could just call Jim, he'd know exactly which button to push to get it working again. Eventually, I got surround sound back and can switch between the normal speakers and the wireless ones. It just would've been a hell of a lot easier with Jimmy on the other end of the phone.

3:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We, too, have a giant set of speakers AND a subwoofer. In fact, I think these speakers probably were part of a set with those speakers you just got rid of. And, I think it was Jim who talked Keith into "needing" the subwoofer we have. Hopefully we never have to transplant them because only Jim knew how to set everything up properly - ha!

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home