This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This is why there are supposed to be two parents, Part II

Stomach virus has hit our house in a big way. As I mentioned the other day, my mom made an extremely well-timed visit yesterday. Jake has had explosive diapers for the past few days. Last night I got sick, and today Rachel got sick.

My mom pointed out that she can do diapers all day, but when Rachel got sick at the dinner table tonight, she said "Um...that's all you." I know. That's why there are supposed to be two parents. One parent can typically handle one gross thing, while the other can handle something different. Unfortunately my mom and I both have a serious aversion to throw-up.

So now it's time for me to tell you about how as a baby, Rachel only threw up on me.
-Jim went out of town, she threw up. On me. Every time.
-He would just get done holding her, she'd come over to me and throw up.
-When we moved here she looked at me and said "I don't feel right..." and threw up all over me and her bed.
-One time we were at Target, and she was looking at me kind of funny while sitting in the cart. I said, "are you okay?" and foolishly picked her up - she barfed all over me. The funny part of that was that I sent Jim to get help and some paper towels and he came back, 10 minutes later, sweaty, with nothing.
K:Where are the paper towels?
J:I can't find the paper towel aisle.

K: For heaven's sake, Jim, go to the bathroom and get some.
J: Well, where do you think the bathrooms are? I'm not sure I can find paper towels.
In the meantime I'm standing there, holding Rachel, and we're both dripping with throw-up. Sometimes Jim didn't react really well in a minor emergency. You'd think that his cool, engineering side would take over and he'd leap into action, but...that's really not what happened.

Jim was the who could handle throw-up. It's just not my thing. Give me a full diaper any day. So even though I don't care for that duty, I'm used to it now. My mom was kind of upset that she couldn't help me but I just laughed - she's been helping me all day. She took care of Jake this afternoon while I took a luxurious 3 hour nap. (Well, it was partly recovery from last night's illness.) She bathed Rachel while I cleaned up down here. And she got Jake ready for bed and changed Rachel after Rachel got sick a second time. At least the second time Rachel went for the bucket. That's not to say that she made it there, but she did try.

Throw-up is a sensitive issue at our house. Since Jim's diagnosis, any sickness is not taken lightly. I'm such a hypochondriac that when I got sick last night I fleetingly wondered if there was something really wrong. When Rachel complained today of stomach pain, I wondered if someone else at school had been sick - after all, she does take after me in a number of ways - being a hypochondriac wouldn't be out of the question. But I also take any health complaint from her very seriously. Since Jim's diagnosis, throw-up has taken on a new meaning for me. He hated to get sick.

HOLD THE PHONE. RACHEL JUST THREW UP ON ME.

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP.

I completed the last paragraph at 8:20, and decided to take Rachel upstairs, as she'd fallen asleep on the couch. We made it all the way upstairs, right outside Rachel's bathroom, and...yuck. At least it was on the hardwoods and tile. So here I am, 9:00, the hallway and bathroom freshly scrubbed, me freshly scrubbed, and I'm done with this blog for the night.

They say the first year is the toughest. At least we're done with the first quarter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Oh Kate - I feel for you. I remember Sean being sick and lying on our bed. "I don't feel so good Mom" What's the first thing your mother's instinct has you do? Feel their forehead and give them a hug. That hug is deadly - puke, puke, and more puke. All the while your head is screaming to your arms "Toss the kid overboard! He's puking on you!!!" Mark's reaction was slightly worse than Jim's - he stood there and laughed! Jim at least didn't laugh at you in Target. He did snicker pretty good when he called to tell me about it. Kind of a "Thank god it wasn't me" nervous laugh, along with a "I'm stifling it in case Kate hears and gets mad at me" laugh.

Kirsten just had us fill out a questionnaire for a school project about parenthood. My answer to the hardest part about being a parent should've been "Dealing with bodily fluids that are not my own."

I'm sending wishes that it's just a 24-hour bug and today will be much better.

Love - Jude

9:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gosh, Kate. Reading your blog brings back the memory of my son, at about a year old, puking into my purse while I was browsing the meat department at the grocery store. Poor kid. I had no idea he was coming down with something. He was sitting in the grocery cart with my purse next to him -- yuck. Got rid of the purse, kept the kid. Hope you all feel better real soon!

10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate - I have been there! My Sam used to throw up every time we went to Ponderosa. Needless to say, we don't go there any more...

He is also famous for "almost" getting to the bathroom. The last time he puked coming up the stairs from the basement - on the top 2 steps of the berber carpeting - one more step and he would have been on hardwoods. Oh well.

There is something going around. Maggie had 4 kids out of 13 out sick this week from school.

Amy K

2:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
I have been "lurking" on your blog for some time now...after Rachel V. from M&M told us about Jim. I can't possibly express how sorry I am for all you have gone through.

I do enjoy (maybe not the right word because of the circumstances of you writing it) reading your blog. I find your strength, resilence, and humor amazing! I came out of the shadows because I can sooo relate to your puke stories! Before being a parent, I would have NEVER imagined a human being throwing up on me and ME not throwing up on them as a response to the gross-out factor! I've been "hit" more than I could possibly count, mostly by my first-born, my daughter.

I do think about you often even though I have not seen you in quite awhile. I remember you laughing at my mountain cabin about Jim's hairy feet, but it was not malicious at all...even in your teasing, I could tell how much you loved him.

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home