This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's always sunny in Wisconsin

People have always sort of giggled when we've mentioned that we've been anxious to move to Wisconsin. We moved here in part because we wanted to be closer to my parents. But we also moved here because Jim was looking for Smalltown USA, where people know each other and are friendly, where we can make it anywhere around town within about 10 minutes. Jim was looking for wide open spaces, relatively low taxes, and reasonably good weather.

You might be looking at that last qualification and thinking "Reasonably good weather? In Wisconsin? Ha!" But actually, we have very good weather. Granted, it's gets *cold* here in the frozen tundra. But we don't have that much snow. We get barely any lake effect snow because we're on the west side of Lake Michigan. It's just that the snow we do get tends to hang on for a long time because it's so cold.

And we get a magnificent change of the seasons. It always annoyed Jim that there wasn't a true change of seasons while we lived in Atlanta. And you know what? We have a LOT of sunny days here. Today is a prime example. It's freezing out, admittedly. But the sun is shining full bore and it's really beautiful.

Days like today remind me of why we moved here. They remind me of Jim. I love to see the sun shining in the sky. It gives me hope. It reminds me that a thaw will eventually come, and things will get easier. Both literally and figuratively.

It's easy to use the blog as a my complaint mechanism. Especially since I'm second only to my kids in prize-winning whining. But in truth - I have so much hope. For me and for my kids. Sunny days like today - true Wisconsin days - JIM days - remind me that new things are on the horizon. The sun will shine again.

Oh, and by the way, I'm also feeling hopeful because we did a shopping trip to Wal-Mart this morning and the kids were great the whole time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the stomach bug has left you and that you are having a good day. Kate, I enjoy reading your blog so much, and I'm glad that you have such a postive catharsis. I think it benefits those of us who read it as much as it does you. Enjoy the sunshine!

2:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on thinking of the great things!!! You are an angel!!!

4:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said, ONE DAY AT A TIME. You can do it. You ARE doing it!!! It will ebb and flow, but enjoy the good times when they come and continue to believe that there is a silver lining in this whole crappy, unfair, frustrating, heartbreaking situation. I am thinking of you and celebrating right along with you!

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Judester said...

You both found a wonderful spot to settle down with kids. I know it was important to Jim that they go through the same school system from K to 12 like he did. It doesn't always work out that way, but I know he preferred it. He wanted for his kids, what he and "the guys" had.

Kohler is a great compromise for the two of you - Ms City Loft and Mr Flannel Woods. Enjoy the sun today! Believe it or not, we actually have some in NY today too.

Love - Jude

8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home