This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

3:30am thoughts of a neurotic widow/mom

Sleeping peacefully in my bed when I hear Jake cry out. Maybe he'll stop. I just lay there hoping he'll just fall back asleep. His cries get more insistent. Finally, he starts calling for Daddy. Poops. I need to get up. I get him settled back down and to sleep. Rachel wakes up and wants to sleep with me. She'll kick me all night. I get her settled and back to sleep. In her bed, not mine. I snuggle back into my bed. But my eyes are wide open now.

Why did he call for Daddy? Am I placing too much emphasis on a father that isn't coming home? It's not like he's just gone on a business trip.

Just go to sleep, Kate. Worry about it tomorrow.

If I keep sleeping on my side am I going to pinch a nerve in my arm? Remember how that happened after Jake was born?

Why am I still sleeping on one side of the bed when I know perfectly well he can't come back? Will I ever move to the middle of the bed?

Why does Rachel try and sleep with me? Is it because half the bed is open, or because she's lacking something because her father isn't here?

Did I sign all of Rachel's permission slips and put everything in her school folder?

If I move to the middle of the bed, is that a statement that I've given up hope that I'll ever share the bed again?

I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. But wait, I don't want people to think I'm just looking for a dad for my kids, either. I'd rather be alone than in a lackluster relationship.

I wonder if I'll really learn to fix the VW engine? It seemed to be idling high the other day. And where the heck is the title? I've been hanging around by the mailbox.

Good heavens, Kate, are you going to waste sleep time thinking about this stuff? GO TO SLEEP.

Am I so chicken that I can't make my way over to LTC to find out about nursing school?

But I sure could use a hug. Physical contact would be *really* welcome. Not that I'm desperate. I'm not.

I hope I get a job. But if I get a job, how will I manage all the stuff I've volunteered for at school? What if I don't get a job? How will I balance a job and school? I don't have a very good study ethic.

I've lost a lot of weight. I like the gym. Good thing I only ate two cookies tonight. I don't want to ruin it now.

Okay, I need to relax. I'll say my prayers again.

God, thanks all the blessings in my life. Thank you for my beautiful children. They are a wonderful reminder of their Daddy. Thank you for giving me love at least once in my life. Thank you for new opportunities every day. Thank you for my health and the ability to move forward in life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

This happens to me every night. I don't know if it's a woman thing or a Mom thing, all I know, is that Greg can fall asleep about two seconds after lying down. It's patently unfair. I just can't shut off. I recently found that listening to some music before bed helps that a little.

Move to the middle of the bed. :?)

12:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

4:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

If it makes you feel any better, I never stopped sleeping on my side of the bed after Paul died. I knew I could sleep anywhere, but I didn't. Everyone wants and deserves to love and be loved. I knew I didn't need anyone, but I wanted to share my life with someone. I yearned for a hug, for physical contact. It's normal. I can tell you are a wonderful mom doing right by her kids... and making Jim proud.

9:16 PM

 
Blogger Gail said...

The "amen" from 'anonymous' is a very appropriate comment. Your post reminded me of what I'd describe as a modern day psalm. Most of King David's psalms were written from the highs and lows of our human experience. Yet, he always ended up by looking up and declaring his love, trust, and gratitude to an ever-present, loving God. Thanks for a daily dose of inspiration, Kate.

Pastor Kirby

8:28 AM

 
Blogger French said...

next time you are up at 3:30am and can't sleep, try hopping on IM or sending an email. I bet you find at least 2 or 3 other moms are also up.

10:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home