This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Toothfairy

Rachel lost her first tooth tonight. It's been wiggly for a while. I bought her a little Toothfairy pillow shaped like a cupcake. It's really cute. She actually swallowed her tooth at dinner! So instead of leaving her tooth she colored a picture for the Toothfairy. I told her the Toothfairy would understand, and she would know that Rachel lost a tooth even if she didn't have it in her pillow.

You know what's silly? The Toothfairy is one of those things I never envisioned being alone. I imagined me and Jim doing the Toothfairy thing together - you know, sneaking into her room all squirrely and excited. I figured one of us would run to the store and get something special like a silver dollar. But unfortunately I didn't think to get a silver dollar (I wasn't expecting the tooth to come out quite this soon...) and I'm going to have to go up there alone.

Of course it's still exciting. I just miss having another adult to share it with. We called all of our family tonight so she could tell them about the tooth. But for me, there was just something missing. Someone else. We said our prayers and told Daddy all about the tooth. She was pretty excited.

In other news it was a smashingly good day. Jake and I went over and got the bug registered - I can drive it legally now! Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and around 65. I've got to take advantage of the weather while I've still got it, because I plan to close up the car the first week of November.

And I ordered a personalized license plate for it. FUN 4 3. I figured that's exactly what it is - fun for the three of us. That's why I bought it.

There are peaks and valleys in every day. I guess there are for everyone, no matter what their situation. We have more peaks than valleys, and for that I am truly grateful.

Now please excuse me while I polish up four quarters and speed them up to my daughter's room. Because no matter what, she's going to be delighted to find out the Toothfairy paid her a visit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judester said...

Congrats on the tooth! That's a big one in the "kid memories book."

I wish Jim was there to share it with you too. It's definitely one of those times when that grief wound gets pushed on and hurts a bit.

I hope you're a much better toothfairy than I was. I sucked at it. One time I had to palm a $20 and sneak it into a pillowcase as I "tore apart" a bed telling a crying Kirsten that I was SURE the money was there somewhere, our toothfairy just liked to hide the cash. That was the most expensive forgetful incident...but not the only one!

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

I hope you were able to enjoy and savor this special tooth fairy moment... even though it wasn't the way you had envisioned it w/o Jim. Hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather this weekend driving in the bug!

9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home