This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I didn't see coming was...

The fact that I'd ever run out of things to talk about me. I love talking about me. I never ever run out of ways to talk about me. And yet, here I am. I'm done talking about me. I'm sick of hearing about me.

It's been just over five months since Jim passed away. Today I cleaned out his sock drawer. A nice woman at my church has agreed to make quilts for the kids out of Jim's clothes, and this week I chose a pattern. His clothes and personal possessions are still all where he left them. I'm still sleeping on my side of the bed. But I've started to think that even if I leave things the way they were, he's not going to come back. I've started to realize that it's time to make a change.

Things have sort of snowballed since the new year. No pun intended on the Wisconsin weather. I wanted to make a positive change for my kids, and I am doing that. I wanted to find ways to honor Jim's memory, and I am doing that. But I've also wanted things for me, and I'm working on those, too. I can't clearly remember the last time I wanted things just for me. (Well, yes I can - it was September 12, 2006 - the day before Jim was diagnosed and the last day that it got to be all about me. Since then I've been in withdrawal, but my frenetic pace has occasionally stilted my awareness level.)

Lately I've been feeling that I'm using the blog mostly to complain. And truthfully, that's just not where we are right now. I am actually doing pretty darn well. I am managing the day-to-day things that I didn't think I'd ever get control of. I am still w-a-y behind on so many things. And I've just let some things completely go - like my dining room table, which looks like a rat's nest. But I just keep the lights out in that room (good thing because there isn't a chandelier in there anymore - we moved it to the kitchen) and walk past it. Sometimes I add a few things to the pile, sometimes I take a few things away. I know I'll get to it eventually. When I put a priority on it.

Some days I feel like I'll never be able to let go of this last year. Some days I'm desperate to let it go. Most days I'm grateful for what I have, and grateful for what I had with Jim. Cancer never did beat us. It's true that Jim opted to stop his treatments, but that was his decision. Cancer didn't make that decision. Jim and I made it together. True, cancer got us down. It twisted and stomped on our families hearts. Cancer has stuck a piercing sword through multiple households in this scenario. But here's what cancer doesn't know: it still didn't win. We stuck to our guns. We had love, and a lot of it, right up until the moment Jim passed. We have love, and a lot of it, right now. Jim is still with us and always will be. Cancer is a puny disease that we will someday cure. Eventually we'll all be inoculated for cancer and it'll be a faded memory for future generations, as polio is for many of us. Jim is a giant. He will go on forever. There's no inoculation for love and caring like that. There's no cure for the good will and generosity that Jim gave to everyone around him - it's contagious, and it will go on - through all of us, through his family, through his kids. Cancer doesn't know that an entire community of people - of virtual strangers - bound together and lifted us up to support us over the course of more than a year, and continue to support us. Cancer doesn't know how many people learned from our experience and bettered their own lives - by getting their colonoscopy, by drawing up the will they've been meaning to do, by getting the life insurance they've been meaning to get, by kissing their spouse or kids with a grateful heart, by quitting smoking, by actually starting to live the lives they were blessed with rather than trudging through day-to-day.

All this being said, I thought I'd let you know that while I won't be taking the blog down immediately, I don't think I'm going to be writing much more. I will still write when the mood strikes me (which now that I said I won't be writing much will probably be every-other-day or something crazy like that), but February has been a good month. Some of the anger I've been feeling has dissolved. I rest in my heart knowing that we fought like crazy and although we didn't win the battle, we can still win the war. We did everything, went everywhere, and tried every avenue to keep Jim here. I can rest knowing that I remain active in the cancer community, and that if something I do helps even one family, I will have done the right thing. I know that Jim knows that I'm doing the best I can each day, and he can rest knowing that I've gained a lot of maturity and insight over the last year. And equating me with maturity or insight is something none of us saw coming, believe me!

When we got married at 22 and 25 years old, we certainly never dreamed what our marriage vows would actually mean. Some people thought we wouldn't make it because we married so young. In the beginning, even we wondered if we would make it. Thank heavens we took those vows to heart and did it right. We made it through richer or poorer, and we stuck together through sickness and health. But more than that: we loved each other. It wasn't a marriage where we lived side-by-side. We weren't roommates. We were best friends and husband and wife, and we were strong like that until he died. We're strong like that now. I'm still talking to him, giggling over things he said, crying when I miss him. I wouldn't have traded a moment of what we had for a more mediocre life. Even if that means going through cancer. He was worth it. We were worth it together.

This journey is a life-altering event that we never saw coming. You know, something like this always happens to someone else. I believe I stated that in one of my first blogs. Of course it doesn't happen in our blessed lives. But of course, it does. It did. It continues to. Even when Jim was diagnosed, they kept leading us closer and closer toward the cancer door, and we still didn't get it until they finally said "You have cancer." No one thinks it's going to happen to them. Our sense of immortality is grounded in a denial that is deep-seated from our childhoods. Shattering that immortality with the death of someone so magnificent changes everything for everyone around them.

I honestly thought that I'd keep writing for a year, possibly more. But I've been doing some serious grief work, and I recognize that I don't have the same intense need to express everything on the blog as I once did. It's that kind of change that lets me know that I'm tiring of talking about me. I have a very clear sense of mortality. I have vastly different goals for my family than I did on September 12, 2006. As someone who carries no secrets, the blog has been a tremendous outlet for me. (For the record, I can carry other people's secrets, I just don't have any myself.) My gratitude for our families that banded together and put in such love and overtime is overwhelming. Same goes to the many, many readers, people who wrote cards, made meals, watched our kids, fixed our house, took our dogs, lent us their apartments, paid for flights, supported us through treatments, attended Jim's memorial service and gave to his memorial fund. In the end, we had more than $10,000 in medical bills - even with great insurance, even with help from our families. The memorial fund has helped relieve some of that burden. It will also go to setting up a scholarship program through Jim's high school.

Thank you for walking this journey with Jim, me, and the kids. Thank you for being there for Jim when he needed it most, and for me when I did. Thank you for reading faithfully and commenting or sending me an email when a post spoke to you. Thank you for sharing every nuance of the last 17 months of our lives. Thank you for doing the best you can in your own families every day, and still having more to give to others. Your generosity is infinite and precious.

28 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I would really miss having this connection with you. Why don't you just shift the focus a little bit? Make it not a cancer blog, but a Kate blog? You did say you like to talk about yourself. ;?)

6:51 AM

 
Blogger Judester said...

Hi Kate -

That was, as usual, beautifully written. You truly have a gift. (And when I first met you, I remember you saying something like "What am I going to do in the real world with an English major!?)

I'll be sad to see the blog go. It's a link to Jim, that like his sock drawer, we hang on to because it's tangible. I knew the day would come when it would no longer be needed - just like the socks in the drawer with no one to wear them.

Live, love, laugh -
Jude

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I never even met you but I will miss you. Your story has really made an impact on my life. I am so used to checking in on the blog nearly every day, I think I may still do it out of habit. The selfish thing for me to do is beg you to keep blogging but I know you need to let this go for very important reasons. Thank you for sharing so much with us.

9:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am tearing up!! I guess this is one of the last chapters in Jims life,and how well it has all been written.We will all hold Jims heart where ever we go in this life and he will know we are there with him!!! I still don't know if this is a dream or when i am going to wake up and see him!!! Kate,I wish you the best on moving forward you are going to do great!!! keep in touch,I Love You jeri

9:49 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

While I will miss reading it, I'm so glad to hear that you don't NEED it anymore. You have contributed to so many lives and changed the way so many people live. Thank you and Jim so much for sharing your journey and love with all of us. It has truly been a blessing. I hope you will give some thought to having the blog printed. I think it would be a wonderful keepsake for your kids. Anyway, you and your family will always be in our thoughts and prayers. We wish you all the best and know that Jim will always be with you.


Christine

12:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Kate

Love,

Mark

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate-We've never met, but I've been reading your blog regularly since last August.  A mutual friend of ours was asking around if anyone knew of a good home for 2 dogs.  As a lover of labs (and even a tolerater of smelly ones) I came to the site she referred me to - here - and honestly have been checking in on a near daily basis.(By the way, I'd have taken your dogs in a heartbeat if I didn't already have one who was a bit grumpy about sharing "her people" - I was so happy the day you wrote of their new home!)
I haven't always even known why I kept checking in - but in large part it's because I can never get enough of truly talented writing. You have such a gift - which I know has been said before - but it's true.

I agree with another comment that I am happy for you that you no longer need the blog. And with all going on in your life I think it's important for you to let go of it when you need or want to let go of it. I will miss it.

3:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should work on getting this published--not that you have much spare time, but if other families/people in similar situations could read what you've written they would surely benefit...

4:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

Just trust yourself and follow your heart. You will know when it is time to let go of the blog. Grief will continue to take you places...and it will never ever really go away... but your life and the lives of your children will continue to blossom and flourish in the midst of it.

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate- As I have said all along. You are truly an amazing woman. I wish you the best. Don't forget that you have friends in Rochester that will forever be thinking about you. Love- Aimee

6:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

I was "introduced" to your family through a mutual friend and your blog. Your words have helped me (and spoken for me, at times) work through my own grief over the loss of someone so precious to me. It has been three and a half years since my loss and those "stages of grieving" that we read so much about tend to hopscotch around. Some days I'm in denial, some days anger but I have never "accepted" her loss. Know this blog is here for you even if it's months between postings and that people will check periodically if you need to talk about you!

Warm Regards,
P

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!

A friend of mine (who attends your church) told me of your blog last August. I have been checking in on you ever since. I feel that I have known you for a long time. You have made me cry and laugh - all in the same blog!! Your writing talent is an absolute gift to you. You are awesome! I will truly miss your writings (and Judi's, too!) I always loved her responses. If you could stay in touch with us, if only once a month, that would be nice. You and your family will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, Kate. You are a tough gal!! Thanks for sharing your feelings and all of the wonderful memories you have of Jim.

Take care,
DK

7:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!

A friend of mine (who attends your church) told me of your blog last August. I have been checking in on you ever since. I feel that I have known you for a long time. You have made me cry and laugh - all in the same blog!! Your writing talent is an absolute gift to you. You are awesome! I will truly miss your writings (and Judi's, too!) I always loved her responses. If you could stay in touch with us, if only once a month, that would be nice. You and your family will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, Kate. You are a tough gal!! Thanks for sharing your feelings and all of the wonderful memories you have of Jim.

Take care,
DK

7:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - didn't mean to send my message twice!

DK

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Kate,

We will miss your blog. Your talent for writing is such a gift. Think about turning this blog into a book. It has such healing powers.

We will always keep Jimmie in our
hearts.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

We wish you happiness.
Jan & Joe

9:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
I will miss the blog but totally understand it is time for you to move on. It was such a nice way to connect with you. Please take care and keep in touch. Love to you and the children.
Jennifer

9:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing when you just know it's time to move on? Will miss your blog, dearly, Kate. God speed. M.C.

4:31 PM

 
Blogger The Pruntys said...

Kathleen,

We've continued to follow your blog and will miss it. Thank you for sharing so much with us. Hopefully we will see you this summer in Wisconsin and the kids can finally meet and play!

Love,
Kelly & Kevin

8:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never commented before, Kate and don't know you (but I was a member of Mothers and More in Atlanta...with maybe a little overlap in timing) but I wanted to thank you for writing such a truly moving, deep, poignant, funny, gem of a blog, that always left me thinking and hoping that you and your family would prevail. Good luck to you!

6:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
I've never met you or Jim but you have touched my life. God bless! You have brought so much to so many people. I'm going to miss your blog. You are such a talented writer. I honestly think you could get it published, it's that good.
I'll keep you in my prayers.
R

7:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU!

4:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK its Becky.... we will see you at easter (there better be an egg hunt!)I cant wait for Rach to see Napoleaon. Can you say freak out...?? she is going to fall in love. She wants a cat now, just you wait!!! You are a cat person too!(deepdown) I just know it! Again, WE LOVE YOU!

P.S. Cats don't smell OR drool!
P.P.S. Really... No preassure. :)!!

4:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you don't need the blog anymore, Kate. And I'm happy for you that your baby steps are getting bigger and that you're slowly finding peace in your heart and in your life. I have to admit though, I've become addicted to your blog and just in the past two weeks I've terribly missed learning of your progress. Please know that people are so proud of your progress and although you are moving on, you and your family and your well-being will remain on the minds and in the prayers of so many. I don't even know you, but I'll never forget you, Jim, Rachel, Jake, Judi and Jim's parents. Witnessing your grace and courage as this sad, sad story continuted to unfold has profoundly changed my outlook on my life and my family. Jim's passing was not in vain. I wish all the best for each one of you today, tomorrow and always.

10:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having Marventano blog withdrawals . . . miss you.

5:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate

When you or you and the kids are ready for some time away I'd be more than happy to bring you back to NYC

Cousin Rich

7:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,

As I have said before, everyone heals in their own ways and in their own times. You have done a tremendous amount of healing in a relatively short amount of time. I know alot of people that take years to get to where you appear to be at this point. You have a great family network, and from what I can read, a great friendship and community as well. While we have only met briefly at Jim's service in Rochester, you should know that I will never forget Jim or yourself. You have truly been an inspiration to myself and so many around you. I will get updates from Jim/Jan, so I know that I will know how things are. But in case we do not "talk" again, know that you are Kate Marventano and you are strong!!!!!
GOD BLESS.
Jason - Rochester.

4:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a personal life experience. I feel like I was going through it with you even though you don't know me from Adam. Cancer unites people in ways no other earthly experience can. I celebrate that you are doing great and while I will miss hearing what's going on with your family, I totally understand where you are at. Peace Kate! I will still check back from time to time. Beth

11:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate-
I want you to know that even though you do not know me, you have so touched my life. (I am a friend of Niki's so you know I am not a crazy person) Your blog, has, indeed, changed lives. Your love story with Jim is more than most people get in a love that celebtates a 50th anniversary. You obviously have a love that transends life. Thank you for sharing that story. Both my husband and I appreciate one another more because of you and Jim. We remember that each day together is a blessing...something we once took more for granted. You have a gift that clearly Jim fell in love with...you communicate so eloquently. Please share this blog in a book. Your and Jim's story is one that should be learned from...because it is real and true...all that we all dream for in life. Your saddness is heartbreaking but your perseverance is empowering and is an amazing journey for your children to someday read about. You are someone whom I hope to meet someday because you are truly an inspriation to so many (so come visit in Pgh and we will have a great time. With Love and prayers,
Kelly Riley

10:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home