This blog is for Jim Marventano's family and friends to review his status and updates while he goes through treatment for Stage IV Colon Cancer. We can beat it together!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Visit to Iowa

Okay, first I should clarify: the night I overindulged, nothing actually *happened* - I didn't dance on a bar, I didn't do anything my kids or parents would be embarrassed about. (Although I am...) I just drank too much, felt sad about my life circumstance, cried, got sick, and moved on.

This last weekend we went to Iowa for Memorial Day weekend. It was my first trip to Iowa. It's not a real vacation hotspot, but it was a perfect trip for us. This was among our first adventures as a little family. We went to visit my college girlfriend Darcy, and her family. I packed the kids up and we drove to the middle of nowhere southeast Iowa. The kids were *amazing*. Granted, I had snacks out the ying-yang, and heaven knows nothing motivates my kids like food. But we enjoyed a five hour drive free of whining, fighting, complaining, or even asking how long was left in the car. We stopped twice. Jake's self potty training venture has been hugely successful. He rode diaper free, with no accidents, for five hours. Cool!

We had a fun weekend with Darcy, Rob, and their three girls. And you know what we did? Nothing, and it was great. The kids played in the backyard and enjoyed the swingset. We had a bonfire every night. They chased fireflies, played with squirt guns and rode bikes. We ate s'mores, gorged on Darcy's homemade potato salad (yum) and Rob's awesome grilling, drank a few beers and just watched the kids play. We talked, and talked, and talked. And then we talked some more. It was nice.

The drive home was equally as impressive as the ride there, especially given that a portion of I-80 was closed and I took a rather lengthy detour (read: lost) through a city. I'm not sure, but it might have been Moline, IL. In any case, the kids we fabulous and I was grateful for that.

I try and remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day. If I can't remind myself I am fortunate to have friends who will pick up the slack and remind me that not every day is perfect. This was a perfect weekend, though. This is the kind of vacation I hope my kids remember: having fun, chasing fireflies, eating s'mores and enjoying friends.

Thanks, Dar and Rob, for a lovely weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home